PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMServ - Live CD for PS3 Media Server

Postby vyrticul » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:37 pm

ps3home - PMServ only comes with ffmpeg that supports one cpu. you'll need to install ffmpeg-mt (and maybe mencoder-mt or mplayer-mt) to get it working with multiple cpu's. however i'm not sure of any repo that has ffmpeg-mt for opensuse 11.2. if you're able to get it working let me know what you did so i can look into implementing it :)

as for subtitles, in PMS.conf try changing
Code: Select all
mencoder_ass = true

to
mencoder_ass = false

if that doesn't work, it seems later versions of mencoder may have problems with subtitles. you could try downgrading mplayer/mencoder and see if that works.

srinicame, if the .torrent and data files are in a persistent location that is mounted in the live cd environment then yes.
vyrticul

Postby agentken » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:15 pm

hmm, subs aint working yet. i am trying to downgrade mplayer/mencoder. Altough i am not that good with Suse so i have no idea how to do that :P

Thing is, the ps3 media server sees the subs, (gives the file + External Subtitles * on the ps3) but it just doesnt show any subs.
I have had this problem before with a linux (ubuntu based) ps3 media server, i reinstalled the whole bunch of software and it worked. Now i am pretty sure its mplayer/mencoder messing things up but not sure how yet.

*EDIT*

Now that i tried to load a file with mplayer, on linux server itself, it tells me that it doesnt have fonts to play. Installing fonts as we speak, keeping you updated

*EDIT 2*

Ok, it seems that was indeed the problem. what i have done is the following:
It seems its missing font file(s) in the /~/.mplayer/
Copy a font there (like a standard one), also copy that font to the SUSE font directory (/usr/share/fonts (i put it in the map truetype, so /usr/share/fonts/truetype)
After that,
sudo /usr/sbin/fonts-config --force

:) FIXED!
Perhaps you can put that in the image, might help linux newbies (like myself :P) and save alot of time :)
agentken

Postby vyrticul » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Awesome, thanks agentken. I'll make sure that gets added to the next version.
vyrticul

Postby agentken » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:07 am

Well, no problem :) happy to help out with great projects like these.

but uhm, i have a bit of a problem aswell with linux.
Perhaps someone knows the answer to this one (might be easy for experienced linux users)
: this version, once installed, mounts my windows disks as /windows/C etc.
Now seeying that i want the downloads to my windows/C disk, i tried to set rights so SABnzbd can put the downloads on that location. setting the rights to /Windows is doable, but when i want it to be /Windows/C it doesnt give an error, but it also doesnt set the rights on the folder. Anything i should try/can try?
i think its about it being a windows drive, mounted drive?
agentken

Postby vyrticul » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:53 am

because it's a windows drive the permissions can't be set on a per directory/file basis, it's on a per mount basis. make sure the entry for the windows drive in /etc/fstab is similar to the following:

/dev/sdxx    /windows/C    ntfs    relatime,users,gid=users,fmask=111,dmask=000,utf8 0 0

where sdxx = the sd file thats linked to your windows drive (ex: sda1)

if that line isn't there create it :)

also on a side note, a new version is almost ready. biggest changes are it being based on opensuse 11.3, pmsencoder, and subtitle support. most everything else is just upgrades to some of the apps and some slight changes here and there. should be ready soon, just running into an issue with the upgraded mplayer on the repos, it doesn't seem to like to support subtitles. the older version worked just fine...
vyrticul

Postby vyrticul » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:27 am

and without further ado...

version 0.2.0 (08/08/2010)
  [+] Upgraded to OpenSUSE 11.3. A lot of behind the scenes changes from this.
  [+] Added PMSEncoder plugin to PS3 Media Server for web streaming. (created by chocolateboy)
  [+] Added subtitle support. (thanks agentken)
  [*] Fixed SABnzbd not installing correctly.
  [*] Fixed flexget-editfeeds so that it doesn't complain about not finding config.yml.
  [*] Updated update scripts to behave better if the SVN download fails.
  [*] USB drives will now mount over existing non-mountpoint directories. (helps when a reboot happens with a drive attached)
  [*] Transmission now automatically starts the extract script when a torrent completes, doesn't need to be running every minute anymore.
  [*] Reduced the Flexget update time from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
  [*] Updated to Transmission 2.03.
  [*] Updated to FlexGet r1354.
  [*] Updated to SABnzbd 0.5.3.
vyrticul

Postby trobbins » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:02 am

Hi vyrticul,
Great work.! I am using your earlier version and just checked back to see if there
were any updates. I tried the download link on the first page and it takes me to
the Suse Gallery with a nice description of your package. The only problem is
I cannot find a link to download the software on that page.
trobbins

Postby vyrticul » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:12 am

thanks trobbins, it's good to know that people are liking it.

yeah, i didn't know it when i posted it but to make the download links appear you need to setup a susestudio account. with the account you can clone it and make your own customized version of it if you want. it also allows me to see how many people download it and lets you rate it so that's nice for me.

if you absolutely don't want to create an account, you can download it from here:
Live CD
USB / hard disk image
Last edited by vyrticul on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vyrticul

Postby trobbins » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks vyrticul,
I did try to log in with an existing yahoo account, but the site said there was
a waiting list to get an account on susestudio. I'll go ahead and create an account
for future use, but in the mean time, I downloaded the .iso from the link you
provided.
trobbins

Postby agentken » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Great to see that your still improving the package! :)
When i have time, ill try the new version (bit busy at work atm).
Also, i have a site & space that i dont really use atm, perhaps i can help out with hosting the project, where people can easily download the package and where you keep track of downloads and bugs/ideas.

Let me know if i can do anything to help out :)

o and thanks for the line on windows shares, i figured it out myself but its always nice for others or when i forgot what i did again :P

Keep up the good work!
agentken

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support