No sound on newer MKV files?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: No sound on newer MKV files?

Postby cbq » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:52 am

you can try this
-open file with mkvMergerGUI
-Click the audio track, in tab Extra Options---> choose Compression is None
-Start muxing

the new file will work perfectly
cbq

Postby Scepticer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:20 pm

I have started getting problems with this recently also.

As I think some people have pointed out it seems that the culprit is a new setting change in mkvmerge called "compressed header" which has been enabled by default in the latest version.
See here: http://www.matroska.org/news/compressed-headers.html

I hope this can be fixed for PS3mediaserver soon, seems like many are running into this problem.

PS. I'm using windows-1.20.409-BETA.
Scepticer

Postby Scepticer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:24 pm

As a note. When trying to play these files with Tsmuxer the PS3 can't playback the file either, nor mencoder. None of the transcode options availible will do the trick.
Scepticer

Postby denial512 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Answer to our issues, use the mkWDclean on all those non-working files:

http://www.matroska.org/downloads/mkclean.html

from the site:
mkclean tool

mkclean is a command line tool to clean and optimize Matroska (.mkv / .mka / .mks) and WebM (.webm / .weba) files that have already been muxed. It reorders the elements with the Cues at the front, so your Matroska files are ready to be streamed efficiently over the web. It also removes elements not found in the Matroska specs and the extra Meta Seek list of Clusters that some program add to their file. It can also optionally remux the Cluster blocks to start each boundary with a keyframe and the matching audio/subtitle blocks for that keyframe.

Also comes with mkWDclean to modify files in a way they can play in broken/incomplete players.
denial512

Postby Gareee » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Chalk me up as another user that has run into this issue. Seems in the past week or so, almost all downloaded mkv files will not play audio. Older downloads before the author "upgraded" still play fine though.

I just installed the latest mplayer, but that did not appear to have corrected the issue. Does media server need a restart for the mpl;ayer update to take effect, or do you need to reboot?

Is ps3 media server being updated to work around this, or is it an issue that cannot be corrected? Remuxing all hi def downloads for everyone really makes no sense at all.

I'm rebooting to see if this update works. If not, how do you use mkWDclean? I'll google looking for instructions, but it would probably be good to have them echo'd here a well.

(If I find some, I'll report them here.)

EDIT: Here are instructions for mkclean use. It suggests getting the player fixed which might be out of scope for ps3 media server developement, since it calls external installed players. Maybe someone can suggest how to setup ps3media server to work with a working up to date player?

Easiest MKclean Use:

unzip the mkclean application, and move the folder to your c:root

rename the folder to "mkclean" if it does not already have that name

open a command prompt window

(In win7, its accessories/command prompt)

type in cd c:\mkclean

then type mkwdclean xxxxxxx

(where xxxxxxx is the filename of the file you want to clean)

The cleaning takes under a minute here, with a progress % posted.

Once completed, you'll fine a new file in the c:mkclean folder, with a "clean" prefix

added to the name.

Enjoy the working MKV file now on ps3media server!
Gareee

Postby Silverbrain » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:29 pm

I have updated the Mencoder, and also tried the toolnix, and both of them work! Repo men plays either way now, thanks guys!
Silverbrain

Postby Scepticer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:34 pm

If a new mencoder version fixes this it would be great if someone working in the project could do a repack/new beta release which includes it.

Just a suggestion, would be appreciated by many I think.
Scepticer

Postby Gareee » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:45 pm

I updated mencoder as well, and saw no difference here at all. The only hing that worked was the cleaner.
Gareee

Postby denial512 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:32 am

I initially tried the mencoder update as well. What I noticed was that only the single threaded binAry was updated. The mencoder_mt was not touched. Maybe those that don't use the multithreaded version got it to work? Using mkvtoolnix did NOT work for me either. Only thing that worked was the mkvclean.
Last edited by denial512 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denial512

Postby Gareee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:41 am

What is mkvtoolnix? Did you mean that did not work??
Gareee

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support