No sound on newer MKV files?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: No sound on newer MKV files?

Postby devildog93 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:14 pm

I can confirm that the MKVmerge trick works for "Repo Men".

It does not work with any version of "The Losers" I have, though.
devildog93

Postby fenixen » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:11 pm

devildog93 wrote:Version 3.3.0 of MKVToolnix works fine as well.

where can i find it ?
fenixen

Postby 00b5 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:12 am

RE: Repo Men

i used the newest mvkmerge gui and just did the option listed above about disabling this "new" feature. It is under the "extra options" tab. I didn't have to use an older version of the GUI/software.

Starting with v4.1.0 mkvmerge uses header removal compression for a couple of track types by default. These include AC3, DTS and MP3 audio tracks as well as Dirac and MPEG-4 part 2 (aka. XviD/DivX) video tracks. The user muxing a file may disable it by explicitely selecting 'none' as the compression scheme for such a track.

I also changed the track to english while i was at it, since it was undetermined.
00b5

Postby Shrubs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:59 am

Has anyone found a better/easier fix for this? Any idea if this will be fixed in a newer release of PMS? This is happening more and more with various MKV files, I've had more movie nights brought to a halt because if this issue. :(
Shrubs

Postby mjlodie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:51 am

Agreed, this has started happening to me this week too, more and more shows with this audio issue. Any updates to PMS would be greatly appreciated!
mjlodie

Postby gastric » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Ditto. Tons of audio problems lately in MKV files. Nothing changed on my end so I'm left to assume it's the way the newer files are being encoded.
gastric

Postby SirReal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:42 am

The problem seems to be a "bug" in MEncoder. I just replaced MEncoder.exe and it's associated folders with a newer version and audio is working fine now. Not sure yet if this will create new problems but everything is working fine so far.

I found MEncoder here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

Not sure if I can post this here, if not Mod please delete.

Enjoy,

SirReal
SirReal

Postby mctc83 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Nordica wrote:
Start the mkvmerge GUI, add the movie file to "Input files"

Under "Tracks, chapters and tags" i unchecked Chapters and S_TEXT/UTF (I don't care about chapters and subtitles)

Then just hit "start muxing" w8 for a while and now u have a movie with working DTS track.

:lol: cheers man, did this with the latest ep of ultimate fighter but did'nt need to uncheck chapters as it wasnt there (just audio n video was there)
with version 3.3.0 :D
mctc83

Postby bepaling » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 pm

I've been all over this forum & others trying to find a solution, without having to create a post, but nothing is working so far..

I just got PS3MS after a suggestion from my brother, who's been running it for quite awhile with no issues. I downloaded Season 4 of Dexter, and I'm having the same issues as some others here with their movies - no sound. The video works great, but no sound at all. I tried muxing with both the MKVmerge 3.3.0 and 3.4.0, and neither worked. Again, as indicated, the episode's work properly when played in VLC.

I'm not sure if the part of the problem is this would be a very new MKV - the DVD's are not set to be released until August 17.

SirReal wrote:The problem seems to be a "bug" in MEncoder. I just replaced MEncoder.exe and it's associated folders with a newer version and audio is working fine now. Not sure yet if this will create new problems but everything is working fine so far.

**EDIT**
This seems to have worked. Mostly.
1. The very first episode, has sound for the "Showtime" and "Showcase" logos/ graphics, but the sound seems to slow down considerably & then stops. All the other episodes appear to be working fine.
2. The sound only plays from my TV, not my receiver/ surround sound. I'll have to do more digging into this & my configurations later, when I have more time.
bepaling

Postby revsmitty » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:52 pm

SirReal wrote:The problem seems to be a "bug" in MEncoder. I just replaced MEncoder.exe and it's associated folders with a newer version and audio is working fine now. Not sure yet if this will create new problems but everything is working fine so far.

Not sure if I can post this here, if not Mod please delete.

Enjoy,

SirReal

I got tired of dexmuxing and tried this. This worked out great for me also.

EDIT:
Only seems to work on the PS3. Still a no sound on the xbox 360.
revsmitty

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support