Viewed/unviewed as a 'flag' in the item title/description

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Re: Viewed/unviewed as a 'flag' in the item title/descriptio

Postby penetal » Tue May 11, 2010 8:19 am

One more vote for this one! (came here to request the exact same thing myself)
penetal

Postby knicknak » Fri May 21, 2010 6:29 am

It seems like it would be better not to touch the original file and instead keep some sort of database or flat file (per folder) for whether something has been viewed, and perhaps where (time) you stopped viewing. In addition to being able to see whether something has been watched before or not, this info could be used to resume playback when you want to finish watching later.
knicknak

Postby andonevris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:35 pm

+1 vote for this.

I recently moved from wizd media server on a bufallo linktheater and this was the single best feature. It would cahnge the colour of viewed files and it was so useful to see what had already been viewed at a glance.

Any similar type of implementation for PMS would be very welcome. Shame I can't code in Java or I would give this a go myself
andonevris

Postby tcdev » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:24 am

I had a very similar idea to this, just this morning - glad I found this thread! :!:

I currently have a notepad sitting next to the TV with a list of all the shows that my wife & I are currently watching, and we mark off the episodes as we watch them. After a while it becomes a bit of a mess, and requires re-drafting. Of course it's also prone to the odd human error. It makes sense that PS3MS should be able to tell me what we have/haven't watched!

My version of it goes like this...

The "seen-ness" (for lack of a better word) is instead indicated on the icon rather than the title description. So, for example, instead of displaying the regular icon for a video file, it would display an icon that said "SEEN". Or, better yet, it would overlay a "SEEN" banner on the original graphic. Similarly, for a video that had been started but not finished, it could display "STARTED" or similar.

I do, however, like the idea of knowing when it was seen. A choice between "date last seen" and "number of days/weeks/months/years since" would be best.

Now whilst I'm a software engineer, I'm not at all familiar with PS3MS or any of the protocols involved. My immediate thoughts were that it could be done as a plug-in? And perhaps store the "seen-ness" in a file (say .PS3MSSTATUS) in each folder (simple text format, one line per video file in that folder). Absense of said file, or an entry in the file for any video in that folder, would simply assume "unseen". It would also enable you to manual "reset" the seen-ness. Of course, that was just my initial thoughts - no doubt some of you know a better way to achieve this in this case.

Would also be great to have a reporting option from the PS3MS GUI that would allow you to dump a list of all files and their "seen-ness" (hey this word is catching on!" in each of the shares. Would be cool to be able to total up the number of minutes for the seen/unseen files! :idea: Or perhaps you're better off not knowing that! ;)
tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:34 am

Of course we'd also need a way to flag all the shows that we've already seen before this feature was implemented...
tcdev

Postby maxauthority » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:45 am

Since I really get lost myself in what i have seen and what not, I implemented "my" version of a seen plugin.
It works like that: When viewing a file for at least 75% of its duration AND at least 1 minute (to avoid automatically marking very small files), the MODIFICATION DATE is set to the current date.
The PS3 currently shows this date right under the filename, but just for movies. This has also the advantage that you really see WHEN you have last seen a movie/tv show. The disadvantage is that you don't see it for photos or music, but i guess that feature is less important for those items.

It is not yet configurable, and since I have very little time currently I am not sure if I can really improve it, as it Works For Me (tm) and I don't think it really needs configuration as it should Just Work (tm).
Have fun!

NOTE: This board does not allow uploading .jar files, so i renamed it to .zip; please rename it to .jar again and move to your plugin folder.
Attachments
markasviewed.zip
Initial alpha version
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
maxauthority

Postby SeeSoubleYou » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Hey maxauthority,

could you maybe post your code? I'd like to create something similar, would be great if you could give me a head start.
It is actually SeeDoubleYou...
SeeSoubleYou

Postby chocolateboy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Filtering and organizing videos by play count is (also) available in pms-mlx.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby SeeSoubleYou » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:33 pm

I have created a plugin for this. Some work has to be done though. Please refer to viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12671 and https://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserve ... iewstatus/ for more information
It is actually SeeDoubleYou...
SeeSoubleYou

Previous

Return to Feature Suggestions