Run PMS as a service

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Run PMS as a service

Postby Uridium » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:35 pm

jotpilot wrote:Windows 7 RC here. Can't get the service to work properly no matter what. Tried the above, tried disabling Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, PS3 just will not see the PC. Starting PMS normally works flawlessly.

Try changing the account the service runs as from Local system to your own user account.
Uridium

Postby tobiwong » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi,

Ive had this same issue with my attempts at using windows 7 (both 32 and 64 versions) and have had no luck getting it to install as a service and run at boot properly.

Anyways, quick work around is to make a copy of the PMS.exe and paste it into your startup folder as described here.. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/14 ... hange.html

Oh and must make sure you disable it as a service beforehand or just change it to "manual" instead of "automatic."

Hope this helps.
tobiwong

Postby Kuroi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:21 am

I did what you said in this post, I now got in the network window PS3 Media Server (where i couldnt get it to do) and when i double click it in my comp it opens a webpage with PMS, where i get the option to scan files but it doesnt do anything, with the right click it only opens the web page, the media player and properties where i cant do anything.

I also get another Media Server which is the name of my PC:User, which doesn't play any mkv file, and my PS3 only recognizes that one and cant open it.

Im guessing i did the steps correctly, but my PS3 still doesnt recognizes the PS3 server
Kuroi

Postby Kuroi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:23 pm

If I want to uninstall PSM, will i have to do anything else to take out what I did for the windows service?
Kuroi

Postby JayzoRz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 am

Okay, so I got this working with windows 7 64 bit which is spretty cool since now it's like my tversity but whenever I reboot it never has the settigs saved as like when I open Ps3 media Server, looks like it's on default everytime I reboot. is there a way to save the settings? Thanks reply back quick unless this thread is dead "(
JayzoRz

Postby Mr_Incredible » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Just a quick note to add that when the PS3 Media installs itself as a service, it adds "-s" as a runtime parameter to the executable path for PMS.exe. Without this the Java app (PMS.bat) can't communicate with the server to config.

Also, change the PMS.bat file because it may not find the Javaw app, and the path to the PMS jar needs fully resolving by using quotes around the path.

Change it to this.

===================================

@echo off
echo Java PS3 Media Server
echo ---------------------
echo In case of troubles with PMS.exe, this shell will launch ps3mediaserver in a more old fashioned way
echo You can try to reduce the Xmx parameter value if you keep getting "Cannot create Java virtual machine" errors...
echo Last word: You must have java installed ! http://www.java.com
echo ------------------------------------------------
rem pause
start c:\windows\syswow64\javaw -Xmx768M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.encoding=UTF-8 -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\pms.jar" net.pms.PMS

==========================================
Mr_Incredible

Postby coraphise » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:21 am

I get why people would want to run PS3MS as a service... but why go through all the hassle?

I did some testing on my Windows 2003 Enterprise server, and had moderate success getting it to start all the time.

Then it occurred to me to try running this as a task.

I set this up as a Scheduled Task to run at boot time with the Admin log on, works beautifully. I suggest you check the task settings and make sure you disable things like "Stop this task if it runs for 72 hours". :)
coraphise

Postby devildog93 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:28 am

I don't get why people are just figuring out now to use it as a task, with shortcut in startup folder.

The service is a pain in the ass. Adjusting and saving settings requires a painful process, all for something that works sometimes.
devildog93

Postby coraphise » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:16 am

@devildog93 - my excuse is that I was just now trying to figure this out, as my PS3 is a recent purchase ^_^

And you don't need the shortcut in the start-up folder the way I set it up. Maybe that's something on Win 2K3 though, I don't know.
coraphise

Postby devildog93 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 am

no you don't need it in the startup folder the way you did it. But the way I do it is much easier for the average user.

I just type:

"shell:startup" in Start menu
click it, it opens "startup" folder
right-click desktop PMS icon and copy
right-click and paste into "startup" folder

Done.

And not to take a specific shot at you, but I see the same posts over and over again because people fail to read the guides, or search the forums.
devildog93

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support