Surround Sound Issue

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Surround Sound Issue

Postby nmaf » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Hello.

Eer since upgrading to 1.04, i have been unable to get dialog through my center channel... even for movies i had watched on 1.03 and it worked fine. i looked around in the settings and couldn't find anything i thought would fix this.

the other 4 channels work fine, i get all the surround effects, and out of my R/L speakers, but there is no dialog, since this is typically sent through the center. i double checked with a BD disc that had an audio optimization test, i know that the center is functioning normally, i have a tv rip that's only 2.0 so it worked fine, i didn't try an ISO file, but 1080p mkv bd rips, no audio through the center channel. including movies i had watched on 1.03 that worked properly, and they work properly when played through my pc with vlc.

edit: sorry, forgot to put my specs (i didn't really think they mattered much for this issue...) i7 920, 6gb ddr3, 512mb 4870, with gigabit ethernet connection to ps3 (i found 100mbit struggled with 1080p, which is mostly what i watch).

thanks
nathan
nmaf

Re: Surround Sound Issue

Postby koko85 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi, I have the same problem. U got DTS/FLAC (need HDMI Reciever) turned on? If i uncheck that, it works fine... But i only have max. 640kb/s Sound Quality.. :(

On 1.03 I had a similar problem: the right surround (back) speaker did not work, maybe you didnt realize that ??? if so check it please.

My config is: E6750 @ 3,6Ghz, 4GB, 100Mbit Network cable, Denon 1909 Reciever and Heco 5.0 Surround System (no Subwoofer), big Front Speakers though :)

Help would be sooo nice :) (maybe it is a filter problem on the Pc ? ffdshow or sth?!)

Greetings
koko85

Postby nmaf » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:05 am

hmm, yeah i have a pioneer 1018 amp, with hdmi switching + hd audio formats. definitely both the rear surrounds worked fine.

as far as unchecked dts/flac, i will try that... i was looking at some NFO files and it looks like most 1080p mkv rips are like 1.5mbps audio, so dropping to half wouldn't be awful. i already notice a difference between rips and true bd with like dts masterhd audio tho, so i don't obviously want to drop anymore audio quality than i already have.

i'll try that and check back.
nmaf

Postby merciles » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 am

I have exactly the same problem with 1.04 no center channel but all 4 other speakers and sub are working perfectly. I've dropped back to 1.03 and everything works properly. I'll wait till 1.05 to see if its corrected or hopefully we will get a good response in this thread.
merciles

Postby koko85 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 am

good morning,
i definetly had the problem with 1.03 on right back speaker (not with all files...)
but if I take a mkv movie with dts no center function with 1.04... some other audio codecs work fine.
I checked that with a Shakira BD Rip (DTS) -> dont work, Rihanna HDTV Rip -> works fine!
koko85

Postby nmaf » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:59 pm

i tried with unchecked dts/flac, and it worked fine, and watched a movie that made good use of the surrounds, so i know they work as well.
soooo. yeah. don't know what the issue is. i didn't try any non-mkv files, that were 5.1. had some xvid music videos that were only 2.0, and obviously worked fine.

i suppose i could switch back to 1.03 for the time being.

nathan
nmaf

Postby koko85 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:17 pm

what i dont get is: why does it work fine with 1.03 on your config.
if i use 1.03 with same settings, my rear right speaker is without sound (like center is in 1.04)

what i get is that many have indivual problems:

i couldnt forward mkv files, if i pressed Play it just didnt keep on playing...
that works fine with 1.04... But a friend of mine could forward a mkv also with 1.03... :(

I also tried another OS.. Have running WinXP and Windows 7 Beta, same problems...
koko85

Postby nmaf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:19 am

new program, written as a hobby... that stuff will come around.... so far, there have been a few bugs that have been a little annoying, but i'd say realistically, based on the fact that it's new, it's independent, and it's free, this program has been pretty damn good so far.
nmaf

Postby buckmazzta » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:34 am

Same issue here!

upgraded to 1.04 and had no center, and i swear i can hear the dialouge, in some scenes, through the sub. Some channel mixup in the demuxing i guess?!

If i use TSmuxer there is no issue but i prefer to use the DTS/FLAC to PCM option as i have reciever that takes good use of it!

Hoping for a fix :-)
buckmazzta

Postby buckmazzta » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:36 am

nmaf wrote:new program, written as a hobby... that stuff will come around.... so far, there have been a few bugs that have been a little annoying, but i'd say realistically, based on the fact that it's new, it's independent, and it's free, this program has been pretty damn good so far.

Thank God someone has a useful hobby :D

I can not thank this guy enough, my home cinema i hickup free!!!!
buckmazzta

Next

Return to General Help and Support