Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Postby patters » Mon May 24, 2010 11:50 pm

tent wrote:well well well.. this "main profile H264 MKVs" sentence you are using here does mean that only the first language is streamable and not for instance second or third languages?? Waht does exactly mean "main profile"? Because this could probably explain many issues I was having with PS3MS so far...

The profile is like a subset of features within the H.264 spec:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles
I got it wrong though, Bravia and PS3 will play High profile, but only up to Level 4.1.

tent wrote:...and all the arguments about Bravia's formats support done so fare is really disappointing: is Sony really being so "closed" minded to do things like this?? What is then all this DLNA "support" all about?

It looks good for the packaging but I think the problem is that at this stage, the sort of customers who try to get this working and read forums like this are one tiny fraction of a percent, so Sony don't invest much effort in getting it right. Plus, they don't want to make it too easy for people to watch pirated content of course. Then again, did any person on the planet use a twin tape deck for "dubbing"? ;)

tent wrote:Well now I really hope once more that there will be news about some open source linux firmware for the Sony Bravias, like it is for Samsungs TVs... do you guys think this is possible somewhen? Or are there some substantial differences with Samsung TVs that would "technically" render this dream impossible? Maybe you may already know of some rumours and initial attempts somewhere in the net? ;)

Maybe one day. Perhaps Sony owners are less likely to risk bricking their TVs and so no one wants to take the first investigative steps.
I notice that despite their legal obligation under the GPL to publish the source code that they have derived from open source projects, the source from the 5500 series is conspicuously absent:
http://products.sel.sony.com/opensource/source_tv.shtml
patters

Postby Tefal » Thu May 27, 2010 11:55 pm

Wolf wrote:I had this same problem, and your option really does fix true 16:9 aspect ratio files! But how about other AR’s? Like movies? I wish Sony would go ahead and fix this anoying bug, as it makes it virtually impossible to watch files with AR’s other than 4:3…

Reading that, I went on and tested movie files in 2.21:1. That workaround of mine causes them to be displayed in 4:3. :|

To avoid this, the workaround's application must be limited to 16:9 files only - I just found out that the following does the job:

Code: Select all
((double) width / height) >= 1.7 && ((double) width / height) <= 1.8 :: -mpegopts vaspect=4/3

With the workaround deactivated, playing 2.21:1 (and presumably 2.35:1) movies will display them "zoomed out", surrounded by a big black border. Switch the picture format to "Zoomed" and you'll get it displayed in the right format (apparently, though I didn't measure it) and without any cropping.

Technobabble: using (width/height) simply never worked for me until I realised the condition is Java code, hence the type cast to double to make the width/height division yield a floating-point number (1.77, 1.33 and whatnot) as expected instead of an integer (which would in most cases be 1).

Wolf wrote:Also, if it is a bug of the EX5** series, as you pose, why does TSMuxer work perfectly? Shouldn’t it behave in the same way as Mencoder?

That's what I'd also like to know and why the idea that the EX5xx series has a bug remains an hypothesis, since the way the TV reacts differently to data from TSMuxer and MEncoder does suggest that the latter might be doing something wrong - the apparent absence of such issues on other renderers heavily hints at problems on the TV side, though.

Tefal
Tefal

Postby Wolf » Fri May 28, 2010 11:56 am

Your newer code seems to work perfectly! However, it does not seem to work for a particular HD-video that I own. The resolution of this video is 1280x688, and it is played in a sort of narrow letterbox format. Zooming the video does not work, as it is still squinted. Is there a way to temporarily fix this?

Your hard work is much appreciated by me, at least!
Wolf

Postby chilly007 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:24 am

Hi,thank you for a fantastic media server(latest beta),i am using it with a sony bravia kdl32w5810 and can stream mp3's,avi's,mpeg's ect from my harddrive with no problems,having problems streaming direct from dvd player ,the player is not recognised in the bravia menu although usb flashdrives are recognised,i have had some sucsess streaming direct from websites using "transcode" then [mencoder web] but stops streaming after acsessing different webstreams a few times ,maybe it might be a cache problem.
Any help apreciated.
thankyou
chilly007

Postby niko75019 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Hello,

I just bought an KDL-40HX700. Only the beta PMS 1.22.409 works for MP3, JPG and some MKV (no AVI yet and non SRT subs available).
niko75019

Postby Tefal » Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Wolf wrote:Your newer code seems to work perfectly! However, it does not seem to work for a particular HD-video that I own. The resolution of this video is 1280x688, and it is played in a sort of narrow letterbox format. Zooming the video does not work, as it is still squinted. Is there a way to temporarily fix this?

Well, thanks for the feedback! It's nice to hear that the workaround helps.

That video you mention has an aspect ratio of 1.86:1 - not 16:9, but apparently close enough for the Letterboxer of Doom™ of our Bravias to kick in. This means the workaround needs to be applied to such aspect ratios too - only time and further experimentation will give us the exact range of ARs that get mangled like 16:9 and 1.85:1 are.

For now, let's try:
((double) width / height) >= 1.7 && ((double) width / height) <= 1.9 :: -mpegopts vaspect=4/3

And see what happens. After that, if a video gets letterboxed when it shouldn't, its aspect ratio should be included in the range covered by the workaround.

An alternative is yelling at Sony, of course. :mrgreen:

Tefal
Tefal

Postby MightyMouth » Sun May 30, 2010 11:14 pm

I just thought I would share my findings with the *.conf files and non PS3 renderers.

If you run PS3 media Server and on the Status tab you see Unknown Renderer at the bottom, and there is a *.conf file for your brand of device in the C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\renderers\ folder and you would like it to detect and show your device instead of the generic Unknown Renderer icon then here is what I did to make it work.

Open the debug.log in C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server with your favourite text editor, Notepad works fine.
Find the line near the bottom of the file that looks like Received on socket: USER-AGENT: then note down what is after it. In my case it was Received on socket: USER-AGENT: SEC_HHP_SAMSUNG PS50C7000/1.0.

Now open the *.conf that matches your brand product, in my case it was samsung.conf which looks like this:
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Samsung Wiselink
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Samsung Wiselink
RendererIcon=bravia.png
UserAgentSearch=Samsung Wiselink
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
MimeTypesChanges=audio/wav=audio/L16
TranscodeExtensions=mov
StreamExtensions=mp3,mp4,avi

Replace UserAgentSearch=Samsung Wiselink with UserAgentSearch=your useragent string, in my case it looks like this UserAgentSearch=SEC_HHP_SAMSUNG PS50C7000/1.0
I also replaced RendererName=Samsung Wiselink with RendererName=Samsung PS50C7000 though this only changes the renderer name on the PS3 Media Server status page.

I also found that I could use UserAgentSearch=samsung and it worked just as well but UserAgentSearch=Samsung Wiselink doesn't so I can only assume that is your UserAgentSearch string must all be contained in the Detected User Agent but it doesn't have to be the whole string and cannot contain words that aren't in the Detected User Agent.

I also replace the RendererIcon=bravia.png with RendererIcon=samsung.png and created a PNG image of my TV, this I placed in the PMS.jar file by opening it with winzip and navigating to the resources\images\clients\ folder.

My samsung.conf now looks like this
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Samsung Wiselink
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Samsung PS50C7000
RendererIcon=samsung.png
UserAgentSearch=samsung
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
MimeTypesChanges=audio/wav=audio/L16
TranscodeExtensions=mov
StreamExtensions=mp3,mp4,avi

And my Status page now looks like this

Also if anyone is interested this is my samsung.png for the tv image
MightyMouth

Postby Wolf » Sun May 30, 2010 11:42 pm

Tefal wrote:
Wolf wrote:Your newer code seems to work perfectly! However, it does not seem to work for a particular HD-video that I own. The resolution of this video is 1280x688, and it is played in a sort of narrow letterbox format. Zooming the video does not work, as it is still squinted. Is there a way to temporarily fix this?

For now, let's try:
((double) width / height) >= 1.7 && ((double) width / height) <= 1.9 :: -mpegopts vaspect=4/3

And see what happens. After that, if a video gets letterboxed when it shouldn't, its aspect ratio should be included in the range covered by the workaround.

An alternative is yelling at Sony, of course. :mrgreen:

Tefal

And again, you nailed it! :mrgreen: I’ll see if I come across other AR’s being messed up by the infamous letterboxbug. Thanks!
Wolf

Postby chilly007 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:27 am

A quick update,after following instructions,using plugins,i can stream youtube,all my mp3's,avi's,dvd's(a few are not working but i am getting there) cannot get hd 1080 to play,computers too old,to my sony bravia kdl32w5810 :D
chilly007

Postby chilly007 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 am

I am using windows xp with the latest beta,however i'd rather use linux (PClinuxOS),the version in the repositories does not support sony bravia.
chilly007

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers