Disable Image Down-Sampling

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Disable Image Down-Sampling

Postby Scribe » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Ability to turn off down-sampling on image encoding.

I'm very happy that PS3 Media Server support the raw format used by my Sony SLR, however it down-samples these images to 1080p, which is fine for viewing on a sideshow however provides reduced quality when zooming on the PS3.
Scribe

Re: Disable Image Down-Sampling

Postby shagrath » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:35 pm

impossible, cause for that I would have to decode the whole raw, which is not something you want (it takes several seconds for each picture, and it will be unbrowsable)
shagrath
Project Lead

Re: Disable Image Down-Sampling

Postby Scribe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:25 pm

If it's only twice as big it's only going to take ~ twice as long though so it depends on the picture. Though in this case could PS3 Media Server provide static re-encoding for selected folders where in the background it'll begin re-encoding poplar viewed files.

Another thing I was going to say is regarding re-encodes of subtitles, is to not possible to simple have the mkv/ogm etc transcoded into mp4 etc then the only re-encode the blocks around the subtitles? This would speed up subtitle re-encodes greatly. Also there are moments especially during fast scenes when you are unlikely to see subtitles, could these moments not be transcoded? This would help prevent running out of buffer in the majority of situations.
Scribe

Return to Feature Suggestions