FAQ/Tutorial Discussion/Archive

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PS3 Media Server for dummies / tutorial howto documenta

Postby otmanix » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:23 pm

And do we have to have it?

No, it is optional and also only available for Windows.
It is for advanced users who want an additional transcoding engine with some extra features. Most users won't need this...
If you don't understand my descripition of how to use Avisynth you may also read the original. Start PMS, select tab "readme", read section "Transcoding on Windows: HOWTO"...
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby jessicahanna214 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:33 am

Ya i figured it out, i got it all on there now! Now guess what my problem is! The DAMN movie stutters every 3-5 seconds, how do if fix this i pray that i didnt do all of this and i cant watch the movie lol. I did everything you said on the help what other options is ther?
jessicahanna214

Postby otmanix » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:36 pm

stutters every 3-5 seconds

probably not enough network bandwith available, also have a look at the per core cpu utilization...
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
otmanix

Postby murphy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi guys, this is so new to me I will really need you to have lots of patience.
it was good to find this forum.

murphy

Postby moonglow » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:43 am

Hey Otmanix, I see you've taken down the wiki for lack of interest - I was wondering if you minded if any interested parties kept it going?

From the discussion I've read it sounds like there is definitely demand for a wiki, it just hasn't flowed that smoothly...

I might be wrong but some of my first impressions were that:

At the moment the wiki content only really describes features/options in PS3MS, but a lot of people seem to be looking for both more basic info, but also how/why content - particularly in relation to certain file types ie I'd imagine there could be a section on common file types/containers etc, common issues to each etc. A section on subtitles, like I found out last night that .srt files needed to be in UTF-8 format, resaved my srt's and bingo they worked, but finding that out was a like tracking cockroaches through a haystack! That's seem like basic wiki info.

The wiki profile is pretty low, I only found out about it through reading the server for dummies tutorial from front to back... even expert users helping others out are refering newbies to forum links
Ideally I'd think that the wiki would be the main info point people are refered to - essentially it should/could become the manual - with forum discussions being used to discuss/clarify issues and refine wiki content/new material.

The approach taken for the forum is mostly to link to previous threads - sometimes the links necessary to follow through an issue run through 3-4 threads, each leading onto another 3 or 3, its time consuming and messy - the wiki gives the opportunity for direct content so people can find the whole answer they're after in one place - I know I'm preaching to the converted, that'd be why you started it I guess...

Basically I'm happy to start adding some other content and structure to the wiki - but wanted to get your thoughts first ... essentially I'd be just tidying up existing forum content/info into a structure that makes sense to me... don't want to step on any toes, know I'm totally new to ps3ms, but do feel I could have been loving the goodness that is ps3ms a lot easier with some extra content to the wiki...
moonglow

Postby otmanix » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:05 pm

@moonglow
If you're really interested in a documentation project for PMS write to Shagrath.
I'm not leader of this project and I'm not willing to run a private wiki, cleaning spam, etc. because of one or two responses per year anymore. I agree to your suggestions and I'm also not happy with misusing the forum for documentation but changes should be done the official way.
Best regards, Otmanix
otmanix

Postby fastjohn » Sun May 02, 2010 12:21 am

Cheers otmanix for hard work for putting this together :)

I found some useful stuff and tweaks etc
fastjohn

Postby Derty » Wed May 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello,
I just want to say thanks for a great program, and a nice tutorial. I've been using Tversity for a couple years now and am switching over. I've been using your program for 1 week now and am loving it. Works soooo much better than TVersity, setup was way easier. Keep up the great work.
Derty

Postby boner » Mon May 17, 2010 11:26 pm

You should add a thing at the top somewhere to make sure you have your PS3 set to a wired connection. I made an account here to try and figure out why I was having stuttering issues even though I upgraded to a gigabit network... and then I came across a post someone made... Just because you plug an ethernet into your PS3 doesn't mean it automatically quits using the old wireless connection! You have to manually switch it over.

I have been annoyed at this issue for days and it was so simple lol
boner

Postby otmanix » Wed May 19, 2010 9:24 pm

otmanix

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support