Need help creating custom CONFIG for Onkyo 906 AVR?

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Need help creating custom CONFIG for Onkyo 906 AVR?

Postby Mactavish » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:59 pm

sent the file to support address on 4-22-10, did you receive it? Thanks.
Mactavish

Postby shagrath » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Mactavish wrote:sent the file to support address on 4-22-10, did you receive it? Thanks.

yes, sorry for the late answer, I was absent for the end of the week
the trace file does not contain any references to a .flac file. Did you try to launch one ?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Mactavish » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:26 pm

shagrath wrote:
Mactavish wrote:sent the file to support address on 4-22-10, did you receive it? Thanks.

yes, sorry for the late answer, I was absent for the end of the week
the trace file does not contain any references to a .flac file. Did you try to launch one ?

Yes, as I mentioned, as soon as I played a Flac music file (pasted from previous message here), "Once I begin to play the FLAC music file, the TCP dump window goes crazy showing a bunch of figures, numbers, and keeps going while the Flac song is playing. Even I can see this is nothing that is useful, no text, no words, just looks like computer code."

The TCP dump will continue to scroll and show the "computer code JUNK", while the Flac music is playing. Don't know what else to do at this point? Thanks for getting back to me.
Mactavish

Postby Axionkt » Sun May 02, 2010 1:36 pm

As far as I know the 906 isn't able to stream FLAC files. The only lossless formats it is able to play are WAV and WMA. The software you're using to stream flac files on the 906 is probably transcoding.
Axionkt

Postby Mactavish » Sun May 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Axionkt wrote:As far as I know the 906 isn't able to stream FLAC files. The only lossless formats it is able to play are WAV and WMA. The software you're using to stream flac files on the 906 is probably transcoding.

It's odd, it can play FLAC files via the USB port, I use a memory stick and a connected NAS HD, but it can stream FLAC if one uses Microsoft "Media Player 11", supposedly. I can't test that as my WinXP install in BootCamp on my Mac will not allow MP 11 to install. Once again, Microsoft software rears it's UGLY head, and tries to connect to MS, to verify the XP OS, and it fails, so I can't test it. But the Onkyo manual does mention using MP 11, as Onkyo is much more Windows friendly, then Apple Mac.

The software "Asset" that DOES stream FLAC files to the Onkyo is a Windows software, and I sent the TCP dump to our PS3 Media Server support email. Looking at the TCP dump for "Asset 2.5" myself, there is no mention of "Flac", but there is a some lines that says: "Windows Media Player Sharing" under "modelname". I assume their software writers were able to incorporate some version of a Windows Media Player right into their software. I'll paste just the top part of the Asset TCP dump below.

So lets assume this solves the question of how the Windows app "Asset 2.5" is able to stream to my Onkyo AVR, it still leaves the question:

Why can't PS3 Media Server "transcode" my FLAC files? I've tried the offered suggestions in transcode section of Config file, but can't make it work. Only hope I have left, is I am missing some proper line in the config file to transcode FLAC to some other music codec/file extension?

Thanks for your interest, I know the devs here are busy with larger issues. Asset on the Mac is clunky and I prefer PS3, that is why I have written all this stuff!

======== PARTIAL PASTE OF ASSET 2.5 TCP DUMP ===============================

tcpflow://en0@localhost
192.168.002.015.64467-192.168.002.004.26125: GET /DeviceDescription.xml HTTP/1.1

Host: 192.168.2.4:26125

User-Agent: DLNADOC/1.00

192.168.002.004.26125-192.168.002.015.64467: HTTP/1.1 200 OK

SERVER: Platinum/0.4.9

CONTENT-LENGTH: 3216

CONTENT-TYPE: text/xml

CONNECTION: keep-alive

192.168.002.004.26125-192.168.002.015.64467: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0" xmlns:dlna="urn:schemas-dlna-org:device-1-0">
<specVersion>
<major>1</major>
<minor>0</minor>
</specVersion>
<device>
<deviceType>urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1</deviceType>
<friendlyName>Asset UPnP: bob</friendlyName>
<manufacturer>Illustrate</manufacturer>
<manufacturerURL>http://www.dbpoweramp.com/</manufacturerURL>
<modelDescription>Media Server</modelDescription>
<modelName>Windows Media Player Sharing</modelName>

<modelURL>http://www.dbpoweramp.com</modelURL>
<modelNumber>3.0</modelNumber>
<serialNumber></serialNumber>
<UDN>uuid:75721975-7ac1-4ce6-abcd-123456789abc</UDN>
<dlna:X_DLNADOC>DMS-1.00</dlna:X_DLNADOC>
<iconList>
======================= END OF PARTIAL TCP DUMP - PASTE ========================================
Mactavish

Postby shagrath » Mon May 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Yep, like Axionkt said, WMP is known to transcode some files when the renderer does not support the original. If you want to transcode flac, then you need to change/remove the "StreamedExtensions" and/or "Supported" properties you made in the renderer conf file
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Mactavish » Tue May 04, 2010 5:29 am

shagrath wrote:Yep, like Axionkt said, WMP is known to transcode some files when the renderer does not support the original. If you want to transcode flac, then you need to change/remove the "StreamedExtensions" and/or "Supported" properties you made in the renderer conf file

If you go back to page #1, in this thread, I tried making a small config file, that YOU wrote for me, remember?

RendererName=Onkyo 906 AVR
RendererIcon=unknown.png
UserAgentSearch=Intel MicroStack
Video=false
Audio=true
Image=false
TranscodeExtensions=
StreamExtensions=flac

Since the above did NOT WORK, how should a new config list read, now that you know a bit more? I don't give up easy, and will try any new config list of settings changes you SUGGEST?
Thanks!
Mactavish

Postby franktx » Wed May 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Note that I installed the program last night and I am a newbie as a newbie can be so I am not 100% sure if this will mess-up some other configs. I am using Linux Ubuntu 9.1.

The server connected to my PS3 right away and I was able to stream music, pictures and photos.

Below is the config file that I used to set up my Onlyo TX-NR906 and it worked!!! I also had my router assign a static connection to the NR906 but that may not be necessary. I did this so I can easily find it and configure it using the web interface for internet radio stations (have not done this), network setup, etc. Note that I was not able to have the "PS3 Media Server" program find the RendererIcon. I do not know if I have to put in in a specific location or if it has to have a special format (other than PNG like the other renderer config files) so maybe we are better-of using the unknown.png.

When I select the NET/USB button in the NR906 I see it displaying the name of my media server so the NR906 was seeing my server too. I was able to navigate through the directories on my server using the Onkyo front panel and selected several songs and played them without problems.

I would appreciate if someone can help me with the two issues below as I have not been able to find an answer.
1) How to use playlist?
2) How to get the server to find the RendererIcon?

#----------- My Onkyo TX-NR906 configuration file is below -------------------

RendererName=Onkyo TX-NR906 AVR
RendererIcon=onkyo_txnr906.png
UserAgentSearch=DLNADOC
Video=false
Audio=true
Image=false
TranscodeExtensions=wav,mp3,wma,aac
StreamExtensions=wma
franktx

Postby Mactavish » Thu May 20, 2010 12:05 am

Franktx,
I can't help you with your questions, but I am NOT able to make FLAC files play to my Onkyo 906, do you have any to test yourself with your custom config?
Mactavish

Postby franktx » Thu May 20, 2010 5:00 am

Mactavish,

Sorry, I do not have any FLAC files. I didn't even know what they were until I Google it a minute ago. I do not know if they are supported by the 906. When I look at page 121 of the 906 "Instruction Manual" they only make reference to MP3, WMA, WAV and AAC. I thought the media server will translate the file to a particular format and send it to the device. Therefore I thought you could get any of these formats and send them as wma (as I think I am doing above). I thought that is the reason for all these codecs things and the "TranscodeExtensions" and the "StreamExtensions" options above, but again I am a newbie at the whole thing so I do not know the details. I just hacked around a little to get it working.

For my PS3 is strange as I am using it for a video, photos and music player but all the three options in the PS3 show the three directories I am sharing and I do not know how to filter them to only one and reduce the navigation steps. I think the whole thing is pretty good. I need to explore more the capabilities and possibilities of streaming media in my network.
franktx

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers