Need help creating custom CONFIG for Onkyo 906 AVR?

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Need help creating custom CONFIG for Onkyo 906 AVR?

Postby Mactavish » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:02 am

shagrath wrote:Maybe FLAC is supported only with USB drives, and not via network. So maybe we have to transcode these FLAC files to WAV or LPCM (lpcm is not supported in this server). But without precise capabilities of the beast, it's hard to know

I guess the Magpie report I posted above does not help you, so far it was the only way I discovered to get any info from the AVR. Of course I don't know how to read it. I have tried copy/pasting various parts that seemed like some kind of device ID info, into test config files, but I'm throwing darts in the dark. I tried changing the simple code you posted in a config file and tried changing "StreamExtensions=flac" to "StreamExtensions=wav", this did not work either. Flac on USB drives formatted FAT32 work fine.

QUESTION remains, if Asset can stream FLAC to the same AVR, then I am going under the assumption that the AVR can stream Flac files with a media server. Same hardware, different software. While I like a puzzle, this is stumping me.
Mactavish

Postby shagrath » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 am

Mactavish wrote:QUESTION remains, if Asset can stream FLAC to the same AVR, then I am going under the assumption that the AVR can stream Flac files with a media server. Same hardware, different software. While I like a puzzle, this is stumping me.

Then, if you know how to use a network sniffer, you can trace the conversation between the onkyo and this media server. That way, we would be able to reproduce the same behavior
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Mactavish » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:28 am

shagrath wrote:
Mactavish wrote:QUESTION remains, if Asset can stream FLAC to the same AVR, then I am going under the assumption that the AVR can stream Flac files with a media server. Same hardware, different software. While I like a puzzle, this is stumping me.

Then, if you know how to use a network sniffer, you can trace the conversation between the onkyo and this media server. That way, we would be able to reproduce the same behavior

Well, I don't know how to use a network sniffer, but I'm willing to learn quickly. Give me the name of any program you know of, and I'll find a Mac version. There may even be some Snow Leopard included network app. I'm a WILLING tester.
Mactavish

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:06 am

Program - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2099&p=8919#p8919
High level directions - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2099&p=8919#p8921
The program technically says Leopard is the supported version, but I would think Snow Leopard would work....
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Mactavish » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 am

meskibob wrote:Program - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2099&p=8919#p8919
High level directions - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2099&p=8919#p8921
The program technically says Leopard is the supported version, but I would think Snow Leopard would work....

I'll look into WireShark, I'm also looking at Path Analyzer Pro 2.7 and IPNetMonitorX. Hopefully I will be able to get you guys some more info on the device this way. Thanks.
Mactavish

Postby Mactavish » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 am

Okay, UPDATE: I tried working with WireShark, even following the somewhat more involved instructions for a Leopard/Snow Leopard install, I could not get past a "permissions" issue, and could not run that app. It seemed more like a Windows port, but I wanted to try it first since you folks seem most comfortable with it. Regardless, I now have installed a true Intel Snow Leopard network app called "IPNetMonitorX" version 2.5. This is their site: http://www.sustworks.com/site/prod_ipmx_overview.html

Before I submit any text file copies of the results, I wanted to ask what options to choose, probably standard on these kinds of apps. I will freely admit, my biggest area of computer weakness is networking. That is why I need specific step by step help, sorry.

This app allows for:

TCP DUMP
TCP DUMP with an option for "Use TCP Flow"

Which should I choose?

Also, does it matter what config file I am using? Should I just use the standard PS3 config file, or the short custom one you included earlier in this thread?

From just some reading and experimenting, it seems I begin this process by selecting "Built-In Ethernet 1 (en0), in the Monitor Interface dropdown. The Onkyo 906 AVR device, which I already have assigned an address of 192.168.2.15, is on this home network.

Seems next step is to run PS3 Media Server, this is when the information begins to appear in the apps TCP Dump window.
If these steps are correct, then hopefully the information I send you will be more useful then what I have been able to supply so far.

Just let me know if indeed the TCP Dump info is what I should be doing with this app, and which choice to use:
TCP DUMP, or TCP DUMP with an option for "Use TCP Flow".
There are other "options" which can be used, from manual: "The Options field accepts standard tcpdump options ("-n -p -t" for example to show numeric addresses, do not set promiscuous mode, and no time stamps)."
I can leave the options field BLANK as well.
Thanks, look forward to your advice.
Mactavish

Postby Mactavish » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:56 pm

I realize you are busy, but to get the ball rolling I just emailed a text file of the TCP Dump. I believe I did it correctly. The email is labeled "TCP DUMP File ATTACHED 4-21-10". Sent it to the gmail support address referenced by "meskibob" in one of the links above. I hope this helps you, help me. Thanks.
Mactavish

Postby shagrath » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Mactavish wrote:I realize you are busy, but to get the ball rolling I just emailed a text file of the TCP Dump. I believe I did it correctly. The email is labeled "TCP DUMP File ATTACHED 4-21-10". Sent it to the gmail support address referenced by "meskibob" in one of the links above. I hope this helps you, help me. Thanks.

Thanks, I received the file. But I was implying getting a network trace with the other working media server, to see which secret sauce is used to play flac files :)
On a side note, I find it strange the Onkyo did not attempt to read the file here (there's no HTTP GET .flac file for instance)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Mactavish » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:44 pm

shagrath wrote:
Mactavish wrote:I realize you are busy, but to get the ball rolling I just emailed a text file of the TCP Dump. I believe I did it correctly. The email is labeled "TCP DUMP File ATTACHED 4-21-10". Sent it to the gmail support address referenced by "meskibob" in one of the links above. I hope this helps you, help me. Thanks.

Thanks, I received the file. But I was implying getting a network trace with the other working media server, to see which secret sauce is used to play flac files :)
On a side note, I find it strange the Onkyo did not attempt to read the file here (there's no HTTP GET .flac file for instance)

Okay, so I assume there was nothing in what I sent you that is helpful yet. I'll redo the TCP dump using "Asset", and send that to you. I appreciate the followup, love a good mystery, now and then.
Mactavish

Postby Mactavish » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:22 am

I'll PM you as well, emailing the "Asset 2.5 TCP Dump File" to the support address as I did previously. Started with a fresh computer bootup. I startup "IPNetMonitorX" version 2.5", then run Crossover, then startup the windows program Asset. The TCP dump window shows the connection to the Onkyo 906 AVR, this is the text info in the file I am sending. Once I begin to play the FLAC music file, the TCP dump window goes crazy showing a bunch of figures, numbers, and keeps going while the Flac song is playing. Even I can see this is nothing that is useful, no text, no words, just looks like computer code. Hopefully the connection between Asset and the AVR can tell you something. Thanks again.
Mactavish

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers