PMServ - PS3 Media Server Linux Distribution

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PMServ - Live CD for PS3 Media Server

Postby vyrticul » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:34 pm

kennykix wrote:Could you add nano to this distro by chance?
Would you be interested in adding NZBGet or something to handle NZBs?
Also, USB Thumb Drive Support? Haven't had much luck with this...
I've googled around for OpenSUSE USB Drive booting and it can't find the image when booting...
http://www.chyd.co.cc/linux/opensuse-110-liveusb.html <-- Instructions for USB Booting OpenSUSE

Your wish is my command...

Thanks for the great ideas and all of them will be implemented.

I've got a pretty big update in the works that should be released soon (maybe today if I get enough time). I've gone ahead and added Nano and a bootable USB image. They were easy to add, just the check of a box. From now on, all releases will come in two versions: Live CD and bootable USB image.

I'm working on getting NZBGet added in as well. This request is actually what's holding up the new release. However, I think it will be a great addition to PMServ so I'm working hard to get it added. In fact, because of awesome planning on my end (or maybe it was luck), FlexGet works great with NZBGet. This means automatic downloading from newsgroups as well as torrents will now be possible.
vyrticul

Postby vyrticul » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Finally, got the new release out.

I decided to can NZBget and go with SABnzbd because it fits better with the other software in PMServ.

Anyways, this is a pretty big release. Two of the really nice changes in this release are the auto-mounting of USB storage drives and SABnzbd for newgroups feeds.

Code: Select all
version 0.1.0 (04/07/2010)
  [+] All USB storage devices will now be automatically mounted to the /shared/USB directory. This directory is accessible on PS3 Media Server.
  [+] Added SABnzbd for downloading from newsgroups, use "sabnzbd-setup" to set it up.
  [+] Added nano for those not familiar with vim.
  [*] Fixed issue when trying to install from the Live CD.
  [*] User accounts for each of the applications are now system accounts. This is a better way then how I was doing it to make the accounts secure.
  [*] Improved "ps3mediaserver-update". It will now get rid of useless leftover files, back up WEB.conf, the backup is now gzipped, and it tells you what revision it updated to.
  [*] Reverted "service ps3mediaserver stop" change from v0.0.3 that gets rid of stray mencoder and tsmuxer processes because it's no longer needed.
  [*] Complete rewrite of "transmission-extract" so it should be faster, more reliable, and work in any directory a torrent is downloaded to.
  [*] Modified Transmission to give read/write permissions for downloaded torrents to everyone. It was previously read only to anyone but the owner.
  [*] Lowered upload slots per torrent in Transmission. The default setting is much too aggressive and can cause slow download speeds.
  [*] The blocklist for Transmission will now only be updated once a week rather then once a day.
  [*] Renamed the Transmission service from "transmission-daemon" to "transmission". Easier.
  [*] "flexget-update" now gets rid of useless leftover files, backs up the previous installation, and tells you what revision it updated to.
  [*] Modified "flexget-setup" to ask before overwriting an existing database.
  [*] Fixed a small issue with the FlexGet config file, nothing that caused any issues it just bothered me.
  [*] Tweaked Samba to improve performance.
  [*] Minor modifications to various scripts.
  [*] Updated PS3 Media Server to r410.
  [*] Updated FlexGet to r1226.
  [-] Removed /shared/torrents directory as it's no longer needed.
vyrticul

Postby arno.wacker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks for the great idea of an stand-alone PMServer :)

I just installed it on vmware-server and it runs fine so far. My files however are on a networked storage and thus I tried to mount those via NFS. However, it seems, there is not NFS client support available in this image ..

I tried mounting samba (cifs) - this works - I get access to my files, but unfortunately it dismounts after a short time, and in the log there are a lot of errors from the smbd process. Anyway samba is much slower than nfs, so NFS would be the preffered choice for files on a networked device.

Hence, the question: How about adding NFS client support?

Cheers
Arno
arno.wacker

Postby vyrticul » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:47 am

NFS client added for next release. If you can't wait, you can install it with the command "yast2 -i nfs-client".

Anyways, what sort of errors are you getting in the smbd log? I have a samba mount and I'm not having any issues and I'm not seeing anything besides the error about not being able to connect to CUPS (I'll fix that up in the next release).
vyrticul

Postby arno.wacker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:44 am

Thanks! Also thanks for the quick command to install the NFS client right away (i'm not so familiar with SUSE).

As for samba. Here is what I did: I created a new directory Media in /shared and mounted this one with the command
mount -t cifs //filewalker/MediaStorage1 /shared/Media/

This works fine, and all data is visible on the PMS (clearly I added "Media" also in the PMS.conf). However after some time, the mount is simply gone, meaning "Media" is no longer mounted and thus shows an empty directory. The unmounting seems to correlate to the following messages in the /var/log/samba/log.smbd:

[2010/04/08 12:37:08.006114,  1] smbd/process.c:776(smbd_sig_hup_handler)
  Reloading services after SIGHUP
[2010/04/08 12:37:08.078224,  0] printing/print_cups.c:108(cups_connect)
  Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost:631 - Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt
[2010/04/08 12:37:08.131561,  0] printing/print_cups.c:108(cups_connect)
[2010/04/08 12:37:08.137872,  0] smbd/server.c:247(remove_child_pid)
  Could not find child 22503 -- ignoring
[2010/04/08 12:37:08.169513,  0] smbd/server.c:247(remove_child_pid)
  Could not find child 22507 -- ignoring

As you said, the messages seem to be about the CUPS stuff. However, the first log-message says that the service is reloaded - could that be the cause for the unmounting? Additionally, from where does the SIGHUP come from?

Cheers,
Arno
arno.wacker

Postby vyrticul » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 pm

For the sake of saying we tried it, try the command I use to mount my samba share

mount //filewalker/MediaStorage1 /shared/Media/

It auto-detects that it's smbfs. Or you could try the command a lot of people recommend

mount -t smbfs //filewalker/MediaStorage1 /shared/Media/

Try one of those and see if you have any better luck.
vyrticul

Postby arno.wacker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for the info. However, as expected, those commands behava in exactly the same way:

DeathStar10:/opt/ps3mediaserver # mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
filewalker:/mnt/RAID5Storage/Media/ on /shared/Media type nfs (rw,intr,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,timeo=14,addr=192.168.42.221,nfsvers=3,proto=tcp,mountproto=udp)
DeathStar10:/opt/ps3mediaserver # mount //filewalker/MediaStorage1 /shared/MediaTest/
Password:
filewalker:/mnt/RAID5Storage/Media/ on /shared/Media type nfs (rw,intr,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,timeo=14,addr=192.168.42.221,nfsvers=3,proto=tcp,mountproto=udp)
//filewalker/MediaStorage1 on /shared/MediaTest type cifs (rw,mand)
DeathStar10:/opt/ps3mediaserver # tail -f /var/log/samba/log.smbd
[2010/04/08 17:07:50.210483,  1] smbd/process.c:776(smbd_sig_hup_handler)
  Reloading services after SIGHUP
[2010/04/08 17:07:50.264004,  0] printing/print_cups.c:108(cups_connect)
[2010/04/08 17:07:50.355463,  0] printing/print_cups.c:108(cups_connect)
[2010/04/08 17:07:50.458139,  0] smbd/server.c:247(remove_child_pid)
  Could not find child 27548 -- ignoring
[2010/04/08 17:07:50.466181,  0] smbd/server.c:247(remove_child_pid)
  Could not find child 27552 -- ignoring
^C

Nethertheless, the issue is solved for me, since I installed the nfs-client and this works just fine.
arno.wacker

Postby vyrticul » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:15 am

Finally got NFS support added, hopefully this will make people with multiple *nix servers/desktops happy.

Another really nice change is automounted USB drives are now mounted by label instead of by their sdxx. Makes finding things a little easier. Other than that just some cleanup and bug fixes.

version 0.1.1 (04/16/2010)
  [+] Added NFS server and client.
  [+] /shared directory is now also shared over NFS.
  [*] Auto-mounted USB storage drives are now mounted to /shared/USB/<usb label> to makes things easier to find.
  [*] Improved performance for auto-mounted USB storage drives.
  [*] Fixed issue with backups of ps3mediaserver and flexget not working on the usb/hard disk image version. I forgot to include the tar package :(
  [*] Fixed errors in the Samba log complaining about not being able to connect to the CUPS server.
  [*] Made Samba more secure by not making every user that connected to the share act as root. All created files/folders are now owned by whoever owns the parent directory.
  [*] More tweaks to improve Samba performance.
  [*] Changed defaults for FlexGet to wait 8 hours instead of 4 hours for 720p.
vyrticul

Postby mb16 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Live CD works very good. Mentioned update commands work without error messages. SABnzbd starts.

But when I use "yast2 live-installer" to install it permanently none of the above really works. Should be permission issues.

I have the same behaviour with 0.1.0 and 0.1.1. No clue cause I don´t really have knowledge with linux.

Maybe USB / Hard Disk Image works better - but how can I use it? I would like PMServ permanently on a PC.

Another question for USB image: is 512MB USB-Stick enought? Hard Disk on the PC has 400GB.

Hope for some help. Thx
mb16

Postby vyrticul » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:49 pm

It sounds like you're not running the update and setup commands as root. They need to be run as the root user and because of an oversight on my part, they don't check if you're root or not. In the next release, any command that needs to be run as root will make you login as root if you're not already.

For now, either use the "su" command to login as root then run the commands or just login as root to begin with.

As for using the USB image, the image is 1.1GB when installed. So you'll need to have at least a 2GB drive. Follow these steps to image it to a USB drive.
http://en.opensuse.org/How_to_use_downloaded_SUSE_Studio_appliances#ImageWriter_for_Windows_XP_and_Windows_Vista_.28easy.29
vyrticul

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support