Intermittent Stutter

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Intermittent Stutter

Postby dbayer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:04 am

Exactly the same issue here, but on a MacBook 2.GHZ with 2GB RAM, using a Lynksys WRT54G router.
dbayer

Postby robharper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:00 am

dbayer wrote:Exactly the same issue here, but on a MacBook 2.GHZ with 2GB RAM, using a Lynksys WRT54G router.

I have the exact same router. Are you using the stock firmware?
robharper

Postby dbayer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:56 am

Yes.
dbayer

Postby ctrvl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Hello, I'm having a very similar problem to the OP, so I figured I wouldn't start a new thread on this. My tests are all around .MKV files. Similar specs too:

PC: Q6600 Quad, 4GB RAM
PC Network Settings: 100MB Full Duplex (forced, not auto)
PS 3 Network Settings: 100MB Full Duplex (forced, not auto)
Router: D-Link Gamer Lounge

Transcode Settings in PS3 Media Server (v1.04):
Common:
Buffer Max Size: 400
Number of Cores for transcoding: 2 (have also tried 4, same performance)
Number of Audio Channels: 6 Channels 5.1
AC3 Audio Bitrate: 384
Maximum Bandwidth in Mbits/s: 100
Mpeg2 Video Quality Settings: keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2 (*Good* settings for wireless throughput)

I've also turned off all extraneous services on the PC network card (had Aegis 802.x services before) and have run some basic throughput tests. I'm able to get 92% sustained network throughput (anywhere from 84 - 97 Mbps) on a straight file copy. However, even with my transcode max throughput set to 100 it never goes about above 18% (18Mbps). In fact it often will creep down to 8% (8Mbps), and sometimes even lower. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about how to increase the PS3 Media Server's network usage?
ctrvl

Postby shagrath » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:39 pm

ctrvl wrote:Mpeg2 Video Quality Settings: keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2 (*Good* settings for wireless throughput)

I've also turned off all extraneous services on the PC network card (had Aegis 802.x services before) and have run some basic throughput tests. I'm able to get 92% sustained network throughput (anywhere from 84 - 97 Mbps) on a straight file copy. However, even with my transcode max throughput set to 100 it never goes about above 18% (18Mbps). In fact it often will creep down to 8% (8Mbps), and sometimes even lower. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts about how to increase the PS3 Media Server's network usage?

if you're wired, why are you selecting wireless preset ? you will get slighty lower quality... 18Mbps max with this setting is not uncommon
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ctrvl » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 am

Thanks for the reply Shagrath. I actually tested almost every quality setting including the lossless and I still couldn't get the bandwidth utilization above 18%. It's very strange :(
ctrvl

Postby shagrath » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:26 am

you're on Vista ?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby mikele » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:50 am

Some basics for Linksys... :
- Use DMZ only for your PS3 and change full duplex for 100mb HALF DUPLEX (Unfortunately PS3 is not full duplex... so far from any duplex in fact ;) )
- You don't need any computer firewall (if behind router),Tomato do the job so DISABLE all computers firewall, test your connection if you don't believe me : http://whatsmyip.org/ports/ or https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 ...
- Disable upnp on Tomato, upnp+dmz+-backward port= weird packets collision ps3 results
- Give an static IP to your PS3 (use PS3 mac adress)
- The most important : Try Tomato ND (new drivers) if you have any Intel or Atheros wireless network card on your laptop/pc and WRT54G or GS (see polarcloud page http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato)
After that you will have an Appollo machine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_program :o
mikele

Postby ctrvl » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:59 am

shagrath wrote:you're on Vista ?

Running WinXP32 Shagrath.

Mikele, thanks for the suggestion - I'll try some of the applicable ones later and let you know how that works out. Things from your list that would probably apply in my case:

- Static IP for PS3
- 100Mb Half Duplex for PS3
- Static IP for PC
- Disable Firewalls on PC
- Disable UPnP on D-Link Router (I have it enabled right now)

I'm not using any Atheros / Linksys / WRTG / Broadcom-based routers or network cards so I'll skip the tomato drivers but everything else looks like it might help - thanks!
ctrvl

Postby ctrvl » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:24 am

Hm...I did all of the above and now the bandwidth utilization is even worse:

On lossless quality, I get 3-5% (3Mbps - 5Mbps) transfer rate
With keyint=25;vqmax=5;vqmax=2 I get the same rate (3Mbps - 5Mbps)

Wonder if this has to do with the half duplex on the PS3? Note all my testing is on the same .mkv file, and I am using mencoder (I figure no need for tsmuxer on a 100Mbps connection).
ctrvl

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support