A way of forcing the PS3 play files in AVCHD mode

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

A way of forcing the PS3 play files in AVCHD mode

Postby warrenmc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:25 pm

If using removable media like USB flash drive or DVD the PS3 can play full audio 96KHz rate but only if the directory structure is strict.

By that I mean:
- For USB it must be in a directory called AVHCD in the root of the drive
- For Optical DVD/BD the BDMV directory must be in the root of the disk.

eg for USB, if you have exactly same AVCHD file set under directories in root called AVCHD and another called AVCHD_1, it will send full definition over HDMI to the AV receiver for AVCHD because it switches to a different play mode. To play the files under AVCHD_1 you have to browse to them and select but they only pay at 48Khz.

For a long time I could not see why my 96k and 192k files were only being sent as 48k. I thought it was the PS3 Media Server getting the transcoding wrong somehow.

This must stem from the fact that media with AVCHD in root is detected as a special case and is played in a different mode selecting the folder with AVCHD logo. In all other cases, including Media severs, you have to browse to the files you want to play. I suppose this could be just official HDMI downscaling to 48k as the PS3 may not send the HDCP signal to the receiver for files browsed to but does when it sees the strict AVCHD structure, which looks like a BD title. From my point of view this is unfair as all the HD audio files I have are paid for downloads from HDTracks, 2L and Linn;

So if PSM could emulate this structure to XMB to invoke the same mode when selecting a title, we would be fine to build whatever directory structures are necessary to maintain our libraries. I don't know if this has ever been identified formally and requested.
warrenmc

Re: A way of forcing the PS3 play files in AVCHD mode

Postby ExSport » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:57 pm

impossible ;)
AVCHD is format for camcoders mainly so it is supported via USB,SD cards, DVD etc(physical media).
Not via DNLA. You can emulate it yourself...rename your folders to this standard and you will see it doesn't work.
ExSport

Postby caper_26 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:04 pm

warrenmc wrote:eg for USB, if you have exactly same AVCHD file set under directories in root called AVCHD and another called AVCHD_1, it will send full definition over HDMI to the AV receiver for AVCHD because it switches to a different play mode. To play the files under AVCHD_1 you have to browse to them and select but they only pay at 48Khz.

I have read on another forum that there are 2 players. The XMB player, and the optical drive player. You are tricking the PS3 into using the optical drive player with the drive structure you mentioned.

warrenmc wrote:From my point of view this is unfair as all the HD audio files I have are paid for downloads from HDTracks, 2L and Linn;
Correct. That sucks. So in this case, you need to do the same thing :( What I want to do is watch my ripped BD with lossless audio. I was told on another forum to do what you described above: Take my m2ts file with DTS-MA or TrueHD, and package it with MutliAVCHD which will create the "file set" on my external drive, and then it will "play" the movie with the optical drive, decoding the lossless and sending it via LPCM over HDMI to my AVR.

warrenmc wrote:So if PSM could emulate this structure to XMB to invoke the same mode when selecting a title, we would be fine to build whatever directory structures are necessary to maintain our libraries. I don't know if this has ever been identified formally and requested.
I doubt you will be able to trick the XMB into using the optical drive to play the "stream".

Thoughts?
caper_26

Postby caper_26 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:10 pm

I also thought of another thing. Will the PS3 recognize multiple drives if you partition one large drive several times. ie, if you have drives E, F, G as partitions, all with AVCHD roots, will that give you more capability? Just a thought, since you could use one for say, Movies, another for FLAC music, etc...
caper_26

Postby warrenmc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks caper_26

I do use AVCHDManager already, to change the default AVCHD title on my USB drive. It is just all the mucking around creating AVCHD titles, even with great tools like muiltiAVCHD created by generous people.

I guess it is part of the pain required to experience true audiophile quality. Oh well, it is less trouble and less expensive than buying and aligning phone cartridges and tuning turntables.

Cheers,

Warren
warrenmc

Postby jagzjagz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:08 am

Hey Warren,

Did you figure out a way to play in AVCHD mode? I need this for YCBCR output. Would also be useful for bitstreaming lossless audio codecs.
jagzjagz

Postby caper_26 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 pm

I just use multiAVCHD with a memory stick or portable HDD with a partition in FAT32 format.
caper_26

Return to Feature Suggestions