Choppy video playback help

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Choppy video playback help

Postby cirrus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 pm

OK I have a HP MediaSmart Server EX490

1) 80Gb ps3 connected by wire to my router
2) EX490 connected by wire to router
3) I have a Netgear Rangemax wireless router WPN824

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routers ... PN824.aspx

I shutdown twonky to see if that was the issue and it wasn't. I have the following file formats on the EX490. (MKV, MP4, AVI). The avi plays great. Some MKVS like 2010 and the hangover play great others like ninja assassin and Sherlock Holmes gets choppy after a while. The mp4s are just choppy after a few seconds. I don't understand how for example 2012 and the hangover which are 6GB and up MKV file can play great and a 1GB mp4 lags like crazy.

Whatever input you have please help me out. If I cant get this to work there is no reason for me to have this as this is the MAIN purpose i bought it for.

I also read that maybe changing the settings but why am I going to play a crappy quality.

Or some say play the movie and pause for a few in the very beginning for the info can send to the ps3 quicker. I did that yesterday and it worked for some not all.
cirrus

Re: Choppy video playback help

Postby devildog93 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Sounds like network issues to me.

The transcoding of MKV files, done by your MediaSmart server, is not a problem, as it relies heavily on your CPU to make a streamable video for the PS3, which it seems to have plenty of jam.

The MP4's, being native to the PS3 should also play no problem as a straight stream.

Whenever I am serving media to my PS3 I always open task manager and keep an eye on the network tab and watch the levels. Some MP4's will max out your network, even with lower bitrates than MKV files, on both the audio and video.

Not necessarily the answer, but somewhere to start. If you are seeing massive spikes over your network, this MAY be the problem.
devildog93

Postby cirrus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:43 pm

how can you fix something like that?

Right now I have the buffer at 400
Bandwidth 25
keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=
cirrus

Postby devildog93 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:26 pm

I changed my buffer to 500. But I have no limit on bandwidth, set to zero. Maybe try getting rid of your limit on bandwidth and see if it helps.

Put a zero where the 25 is. Seeing you are wired directly on both MediaSmart and PS3, this 25 Mbps limit might be screwing you up. I have some M4V files that spike above 65% of my 100 Mbps LAN....so if you do math, spiking at 65 Mbps, well above the 25 limit.

Just give that a shot for now, set bandwidth to 0.

EDIT: I actually checked my settings, I have 400 buffer, 0 on bandwidth and left MPEG-2 settings stock (top value on menu dropdown)

I can't tell what your values are as you missed the last digit on vqmin=? If you have the "lossless, crazy bitrate" this will greatly increase the burden on your network as well.
My values give me an EXCELLENT picture and sound.
devildog93

Postby cirrus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:52 pm

keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2

can you send me a screen shot of your settings please is thats ok?
cirrus

Postby devildog93 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:01 pm

Yeah, sure. Looks like you have same setting on Mpeg2 as I do.
Attachments
PS3Snip.PNG
PS3Snip.PNG (142.78 KiB) Viewed 7101 times
devildog93

Postby devildog93 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:04 pm

You can always boost up your buffer, but that only has to do with muxing and or transcoding. MP4 and M4V problems, I have found, have all been network

Using subtitles can boost network demand, as well as CPU demand as they require transcode. I almost never use subs. Last time was to read what vampires were saying on "30 Days of Night". Just another thing to consider.
Last edited by devildog93 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devildog93

Postby cirrus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:09 pm

so on the safe side I should put the 600 buffer? Also these are the specs of the EX490 Intel Celeron 450 Single-Core, 2GB PC2-6400 RAM
cirrus

Postby devildog93 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 pm

I did notice you are only running a single core on the EX490 (I thought it had more jam)

Try a file that has been giving you grief....one of the MP4's.

Make sure you have your task manager open. Open the Network tab. From there, you can watch both the traffic on network, and at bottom of screen, you have your CPU usage as well, or you can switch back and forth between the Network tab and the CPU tab, your choice.

Just take note of which, if either is maxing out at or near 100%. A max out on either value, can cause your stream to stutter, or even time out if it takes too long to catch back up.

Like I said, your buffer value is only important, when you are using the buffer. Most MP4's don't use buffer, they stream, but if you have to transcode the file for some reason, like the audio is not compatible, you MAY need that extra buffer zone.

PS : I am currently trying the movie "The Blindside". The file info: 2.05 GB, .mp4, 1280X720p, 5.1 AAC audio Network usage 70%, CPU usage around 45 % +

According to the on-screen PS3 display menu (not entirely accurate, just a reference point), my audio is streaming at around 300kbps, and video is averaging about 2.4 Mbps. These values are actually pretty low when compared to transcoding or muxing some high quality MKV's, yet my network is humming along at around 70% usage. I have even had 4GB M2TS files running 5.1 audio with 640 kbps and video pushing 50 Mbps, that don't demand as much from CPU or LAN. WHY? I am unsure as to why some demand more than others, especially when comparing MP4 and M2TS files ( both streamable and native to PS3 )
I am still learning, right along side with you as I have only had PS3 Media Server for about 3 weeks now, after dropping Tversity, but these are just a few things I have noticed.

It seems like it is a balance between CPU usage and network usage. Either one fails, you run into problems.
Another tip is, if playing files that do put a strain on either CPU or network,try not to do what I used to do, and that is mess around on computer while file is playing. Sometimes opening other windows and doing tasks that may require a pop from your memory banks or processor can cause either value to spike tremendously.

EDIT: I did check out your media sever online, and it is a gigabit router so I would think it SHOULD handle the traffic, but I am not sure how they work, if they auto-detect your connection, what type of connection you need, if different. Maybe there is some kind of setting with regards to running the gigabit feature to maximize your network potential. I will do some reading and try to find out as this is a direction I would also like to take (gigabit). Keep me posted, I am curious about your scenario.
Last edited by devildog93 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devildog93

Postby cirrus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:04 pm

should i try with those settings you gave me?

Ok here is the stats of a heroes episode that shutters but on the pc is perfect

Type: Video
Codec: avc1
Resolutions: 1920x1080
Display Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame Rate: 29.97000

Type: Audio
Codec: mp4a
Channels: Stereo
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

This is a MKV file 2012 and it played great

Type: Subtitiel