Thumbnail generation support

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Thumbnail generation support

Postby Dark_Wizard » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Is there anyway to have the folders with a specific image and the movies with another?
Dark_Wizard

Postby stickboy3k » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:09 pm

rickster53 wrote:
Meelobee wrote:
rickster53 wrote:Note: My video thumbnail files are approximately 80KB each.

Try using smaller files, I had the same problem as you, until I noticed my thumbnail images where 120kb each. I edited them with photoshop and saved them to smaller files with a max of 40kb. Now they load way faster and they stay visible when scrolling up and down.

Iron.Man.mp4.cover.jpg

Note: If anyone is interested in using the template for this thumbnail, I can't take credit for creating it but you can find the original author and the template here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15567629#post15567629

Thank you for posting that link! I noticed the thumbnail size supported was a 320x240 size so I was trying to think of something to do with the posters to make them wide. I used a photoshop file I found here: http://manicho.deviantart.com/art/DVD-Plastic-Case-PSD-file-86546288 I made all of my covers to look like these:

Image Image
Image Image

I'm working on one for my TV shows now. Old time TV set rather than dvd case.

Like you had described, my thumbnails are right around 100k [like 85 - 120k] and I'm also experiencing slow loading of the thumbs. I'll try a few as non-transparent jpgs which should be closer to 40k and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Ron
stickboy3k

Postby rickster53 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 am

stickboy3k wrote:Thank you for posting that link! I noticed the thumbnail size supported was a 320x240 size so I was trying to think of something to do with the posters to make them wide. I used a photoshop file I found here: http://manicho.deviantart.com/art/DVD-Plastic-Case-PSD-file-86546288 I made all of my covers to look like these:

Image Image
Image Image

I'm working on one for my TV shows now. Old time TV set rather than dvd case.

Like you had described, my thumbnails are right around 100k [like 85 - 120k] and I'm also experiencing slow loading of the thumbs. I'll try a few as non-transparent jpgs which should be closer to 40k and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Ron

Nice job Ron (and Manicho)! I like the clean look of your template and might suggest that you create a second template for Blurays simply by replacing the Standard DVD disc with a Bluray version. That's also what the author of the template that I posted previously did. He created a Bluray and a SD version of his template here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st15788846

That distinction is a nice visual indicator when you are scrolling thru your movies...

Some folks who frequent that AVSforum thread I posted previously are now submitting their movie thumbnail collections on flickr, so others who either don't know Photoshop and/or don't have the time to create their own can use for their video library. They are also doing some work there on thumbnails for Folders. Check it out...

Edit: Just a reminder that folder thumbnails are not supported by the PS3.
Last edited by rickster53 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
rickster53

Postby Dark_Wizard » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:37 am

As rickster53 pointed out Bozster at AVSForum has done a terrific job with his template for Blu-Ray's and SD's and we are contributing quickly to get a nice collection going, I have personally put up over 180 images and all the folder ones if and when we can find a way to support this. Everyone should check it out it is very nice to say the least....

Bob
Dark_Wizard

Postby reddevilmeuk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:05 pm

i was going to start doing my own, but if the template has already been created and people are contributing to it so much, then whats th point :) it's not like we are not all getting the same movies :roll:
reddevilmeuk

Postby reddevilmeuk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:00 pm

like dark said, the artwork is lush.... ive also started to add to the very nice collection
reddevilmeuk

Postby Mildoo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:46 pm

yep nice art work on the dvd cases, i took this route for displaying mine.

looks a bit to small here, but looks great on my screen

if you click the image you will see that it has a transparent background, with a hint of drop shadow
Last edited by Mildoo on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mildoo

Postby reddevilmeuk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:51 pm

very nice, if your intending to do a lot of them, may be worth uploading them to the flickr group when it's categorised :)

loads of people are showing interest and to be honest, who wouldn't :)
reddevilmeuk

Postby stickboy3k » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Nice job Ron (and Manicho)! I like the clean look of your template and might suggest that you create a second template for Blurays simply by replacing the Standard DVD disc with a Bluray version. That's also what the author of the template that I posted previously did. He created a Bluray and a SD version of his template here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st15788846

That distinction is a nice visual indicator when you are scrolling thru your movies...

Some folks who frequent that AVSforum thread I posted previously are now submitting their movie thumbnail collections on flickr, so others who either don't know Photoshop and/or don't have the time to create their own can use for their video library. They are also doing some work there on thumbnails for Folders. Check it out...

Edit: Just a reminder that folder thumbnails are not supported by the PS3.

Thanks :) Yeah, I only have a handfull of blu-rays on my media server so I'm using the original template for those and it is a nice visual indicator for sure. I didn't realize they were posting collections, time to dust off my yahoo sn and get on flickr. I'll attach the dvd template here.
Attachments
DVD-Thumb-Template.rar
DVD Thumbnail Template
(192.26 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
stickboy3k

Postby stickboy3k » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Here are some tv thumbs that I've been working on today:

Image Image

Image Image

Also trying out these designs

The two old TV sets I just found through google image search, the plasma screen is a nice icon created by Bobbyperux at DeviantArt. TV Artwork is from getvideoartwork.com I love the look of the plasma but I really have to stretch the show's artwork to fit the wider screen.
stickboy3k

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support