Viewed/unviewed as a 'flag' in the item title/description

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Viewed/unviewed as a 'flag' in the item title/description

Postby puntloos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

If archive attribute on file is set, then list item as "new"
If more than 85% of a file is played, unset archive attribute
If archive attribute on file is not set, list item as "seen".

This corresponds to the Windows convention of backing up media in a certain sense (if you see yourself as a 'device' ingesting unseen data)

For other filing systems there are similar file attributes etc, although of course you could choose to just do it in the media player?

Perhaps "newness" can be listed in days.

If a file hasn't been seen, list the # of days/months/years that have elapsed between last modified and 'now'
i.e.
[5d] 1x01 - Coupling - Flushed.mkv

If a file has been seen, list the # of days/months/years elapsed after viewing with a negative number
i.e.
[seen] 1x02 - Coupling - Size Matters.mkv

Of course, in the #trancode# folder there should be an option to toggle seen-ness manually.
puntloos

Re: Viewed/unviewed as a 'flag' in the item title/description

Postby pivot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:25 pm

You got my vote! :)
pivot

Re: Viewed/unviewed as a 'flag' in the item title/description

Postby klidec » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 am

I'd love to see something like this as well.
klidec

Re: Viewed/unviewed as a 'flag' in the item title/descriptio

Postby puntloos » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:45 am

Bump! (lame to bump, I know, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on feasibility etc)
puntloos

Postby Tired1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:11 am

As a programmer, I don't see this being very hard to do. As for "newness" being listed in days, sounds like it might make file names rather long though? (which isn't really a problem just a personal annoyance :P) I'm not a Java programmer, but I'll take a peek into the source and see if it's possible to get the % streamed to the ps3 and try to recycle one of the plugin skeletons from el.botijo (but again, I'm not a Java programmer I'm a C++ programmer so it may take me a while)
Tired1

Postby puntloos » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Tired1 wrote:As a programmer, I don't see this being very hard to do. As for "newness" being listed in days, sounds like it might make file names rather long though? (which isn't really a problem just a personal annoyance :P)

True enough, but ps3mediaserver has a few nice options that you can enable/disable, for example you can tell it not to attach the codec names to the filenames. Also, at least in my case my entire media library is in the format of Artist/Album|Season/Track-Title.ext which keeps the filenames you see pretty short. For me, I hardly ever see them scroll.

Incidentally, I changed my mind a touch, I would suggest the filename format to be:

<filename> <age> i.e. put the age behind the filename.
1x01 - Coupling - Flushed [seen]
1x02 - Coupling - Size Matters [5d]

Reason is that you don't want alphanumeric sorting of your directories be jumbled by something potentially random. My "coupling" directory, like every TV series, is nicely ordered by episode number.

I'm not a Java programmer, but I'll take a peek into the source and see if it's possible to get the % streamed to the ps3 and try to recycle one of the plugin skeletons from el.botijo (but again, I'm not a Java programmer I'm a C++ programmer so it may take me a while)

Well, I hope you can make it happen =)
puntloos

Postby Tired1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:55 am

puntloos wrote:<filename> <age> i.e. put the age behind the filename.

That's what i was thinking as well. Though, I'm looking more towards adding this data to what gets sent to the ps3 (as it's sent) so it shouldn't make a difference on sorting (if I am correct the server does it all before the ps3 has a chance) but that means there won't be a way to sort it via seen/unseen (which may be a desirable option). But this also brings up a lot of other annoyances (like how to store the data, whether or not to associate it with the media library etc.) This might take a lot longer than I had expected, but it's worth a shot.
Tired1

Postby puntloos » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:27 am

Tired1 wrote:
puntloos wrote:<filename> <age> i.e. put the age behind the filename.

That's what i was thinking as well.
Though, I'm looking more towards adding this data to what gets sent to the ps3 (as it's sent) so it shouldn't make a difference on sorting (if I am correct the server does it all before the ps3 has a chance)

but that means there won't be a way to sort it via seen/unseen (which may be a desirable option).

I don't think it is. I could imagine allowing a #transcode# folder with only unviewed content, but in a CD or a tv show directory, its pretty easy to find the first track you haven't seen since you presumably watch stuff in order anyway
But this also brings up a lot of other annoyances (like how to store the data, whether or not to associate it with the media library etc.)

I could imagine you might have store the seen-ness in a DB as opposed to into a file attribute, but I think most filesystems support the concept of 'archive' attribute. I've been using this attribute for exactly the 'seen/unseen' purpose for a long time now and nothing interferes with it on windows.
This might take a lot longer than I had expected, but it's worth a shot.

K ;) Anyone want to help him out? ;) I cant, my coding is nonexistant.
puntloos

Postby paddywack » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:52 pm

I know it's not exactly the same and probably not what you're looking for but I've written a bash script which takes a list of unwatched episodes from myepisodes.com, finds the corresponding file on my hard drive and puts links in a folder to those files.

This allows me to have one folder with all of my unwatched tv episodes.

There are a few serious caveats though, it requires a very rigourous folder/file structure and it requires that you manually mark "watched" and keep track of everything you watch on myepisodes.com, it's not automatic

I just run this script from a cron job every 15 minutes, works well for my purposes

if anyone's interested i'll get it cleaned up and posted here later tonight
paddywack

Postby airjer » Sun May 09, 2010 1:42 pm

This is the only feature left un-added for my needs. I need this feature :D !
airjer

Next

Return to Feature Suggestions