Accessing iTunes library through PS3 Media Server

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Accessing iTunes library through PS3 Media Server

Postby abbeyroadd » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Anyone successfully accessed their iTunes Library through the PS3 Media Server? I can get to the album but cannot get any farther, I believe it has to do with the amount of folders the PS3 can traverse. I'm trying to access /users/name/music/itunes/itunes music/album which I think might be one level too far.

I tried creating a symbolic link to /itunes music folder but the Media Server isn't picking it up.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
abbeyroadd

Re: Accessing iTunes library through PS3 Media Server

Postby meskibob » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Yup, you've hit the folder-depth limit (PS3 or DLNA limitation, don't remember which). Just directly add the "itunes music" folder to the PMS shared folders.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby abbeyroadd » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.

So I just go to Navigation/Share Settings > click the "Add Directory" button > add the "iTunes Music" folder > and then "Restart the HTTP Server"?

I do have a question about that though. When I add the directory it removes the "<All Drives>" text under "Shared Folders", I want to keep the both "<All Drives>", and "/iTunes Music". Is there a way to do that? Also after adding the folder if I close the application and re-open it "/iTunes Music" has been removed and "<All Drives>" is back. I'd like to be able to save the shared folders that I've added so I don't have to re-add them every time I close the application.

I'm still quite new to the application so pardon my ignorance.

Thanks again.
abbeyroadd

Postby meskibob » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:13 pm

abbeyroadd wrote:So I just go to Navigation/Share Settings > click the "Add Directory" button > add the "iTunes Music" folder > and then "Restart the HTTP Server"?

Before the clicking "Restart ..." click the "Save" button. ;)
abbeyroadd wrote:I want to keep the "<All Drives>"
It's a feature of PMS to remove the default "<All Drives>" share when any other share is added. You should be able to add a direct "My Computer" (or whatever the equivalent is for Macs, sorry for my ignorance on that) share that acts like the "<All Drives>" share, although I haven't tried for myself.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby abbeyroadd » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:26 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help.

I'll try this when I get home tonight, if I run into any trouble I'll be sure to ask.
abbeyroadd

Postby emgeejay » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for the tip! I had the same exact problem, and resolved it the same way.

Yes, the <All Drives> gets deleted by default, but Mac OS X is a lot like unix so adding the root directory "/" works for accessing all the files. Or, if you prefer the "/Volumes" directory since that contains a link to any other drives connected to your machine.
emgeejay

Return to Mac OS X Support