Can't find PS3 / Network issues? Read this first!

For help and support with issues specific to Mac OS X
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

wireless mac issue

Postby delapaco » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Hello

First thanks for the more than great app, and any attempts to help my lost soul ... =)

I have an issue involving connecting my macbook pro wirelessly through my router to the wired PS3. If I connect my mac by wire everything is working without changing anything. But with wireless connection to the router I simply cannot get it to work. To me this sounds like a router issue, but as the traffic is inside the LAN I cannot understand what settings this might concern.

I have tried turning off the firewall, forcing the ip, forcing the network card to the wireless en1, port forwarding even thought this also shouldn't matter, and finally entered manual settings into ps3 although they are the same as auto. No I have no other servers running on my mac.

Grateful for help.

/delapaco
delapaco

Re: Can't find PS3 / Network issues? Read this first!

Postby spdfrx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi,

First of all i'm new here so i also would like to compliment you on the fact that you started this project and that it's been names as best media server by several sites/users/experts.

Still, i have the same problem as many others in this thread.

I have read all the threads and posts on this site and others regarding the PMS not being able to find my PS3 and vice versa, but still remain unsuccessful.

Let me clarify u on my setup:

- 2009 MacBookPro 13"
- OSX 10.5.8
- PS3 Slim with latest firmware
- Airport Express connected to my ISP's ADSL modem
- MacBook connected wirelessly, PS3 connected directly to my ISP's modem by cable

Further notes:
- other media servers like MediaLink DO connect to my PS3 and stream without problems
- i CAN ping my PS3 successfully
- my ISP's modem has no option what so ever to enable/disable UPnP i.e. UPnP isn't mentioned anywhere in the modem's settings
- all firewalls are off (well they're on again, but i tried to switch them all off temporarily to see if that's the issue, no luck tho)
- port forwarding is enabled
- tried forced connecting on PMS (with my Mac's IP address etc) with and without all ethernet adapters selected
- my PS3's internet settings say UPnP is not available, NAT is on '2', yet like i said, MediaLink DOES connect and stream despite this

can it have anything to do with the MAC address? because with every option i try, i noticed the message in the trace saying it failed to assign the MAC address blablabla (same message i see in many traces posted up here) but the trace does end saying it's all up and running and that my XMB should discover the server..ending with sending ALIVE...sending ALIVE...

so, what did i miss? i'm really gettting kinda desperate now...

hope u can help me out, many many thanx in advance for your effort and time..

cheers,
Lex

EDIT: YES I HAVE ALSO TRIED TO HARD WIRE MY MAC TO MY PS3, SAME (NO) RESULT...
Last edited by spdfrx on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spdfrx

Postby delapaco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 pm

SPDFRX: did you read my post just above yours? It seems we have the same kind of problem. PS3 hooked up to router by wire, and then wireless to computer. Have you tried hooking up your comp with wire? If not try it ...

What worries me a little though about your setting is that you claim, to have your ps3 connected to your modem? You dont mean wireless router do you? Otherwise I guess you have a modem/router and have placed your airport as a subnetwork beneath the modem/router? In that case, have you ensured that they both do not share ip-range? (that is 192.168.0.* for example)

/delapaco
delapaco

Postby spdfrx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:23 pm

yeah i edited my post, i indeed did also try connecting my mac to my ps3 directly thru ethernet cable, but didnt help either..

regarding my modem setup: i have a non-wireless ADSL modem (not sure whether it also qualifies as a 'router'?) provided by my ISP, with 2 ethernet connections. 1 is connected to my Airport Express (in order to create wireless internet access), and the other is directly connected to my PS3.

btw i just did some research and the modem is a Sagem f@st 3202, dunno if that helps?
spdfrx

Postby delapaco » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:01 pm

spdfrx wrote:regarding my modem setup: i have a non-wireless ADSL modem (not sure whether it also qualifies as a 'router'?) provided by my ISP, with 2 ethernet connections. 1 is connected to my Airport Express (in order to create wireless internet access), and the other is directly connected to my PS3.

This worries me. You have your PS3 connected to another network than your computer is. So if your modem hands out adresses like 192.168.0.* then your ps3 might be 192.168.0.2. Your airport might be 192.168.0.3. You then have to set your airport NOT to hand out the standard adresses 192.168.0.* or the two ip-ranges will collide! You airport subnet must have another ip-range, like 10.0.0.* leaving your pc with something like 10.0.0.2.

However! It is a bit stupid to try your settings with this rather complex network. Simply start out by hooking up your modem to the PS3 AND the pc! If tit works, let the modem give a ip-adress to the airport, which should have its own ip-range as described above, and connect the PS3 and pc to the airport both by wire.

Always start simple when testing for errors!

/delapaco
delapaco

Postby spdfrx » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:18 pm

i really really appreciate your suggestions, but i forgot to mention i also tried getting it working with both devices connected to the same network thru wireless (i.e. both connected to my Airport Express wirelessly).

secondly, your other suggestion, i also did try to hook both devices up to the modem (ok i'm actually starting to have doubts now whether i really tried that, i think i did, but i'll try again). however, what u suggest about connecting both devices to my Airport by wire afterwards...that won't work since my Airport Express only has 1 ethernet port ;)

anyway i'll see how things go when i hook up both devices to the Sagem modem by wire..if that works it would be at least a result, but that would mean i have no internet access in the house anymore when watching video, because the wired connection from my Airport to my modem will have to make place for a wired connection between my mac and the modem (bare in mind that the modem only has 2 ehternet ports and the Airport only has 1)

what keeps strucking me tho, is that i CAN ping my PS3, and, like i mentioned before, all versions of setups, whether its wired + wired, or wired + wireless, or wireless + wireless ALL work fine with MediaLink for instance..how is this possible!? :|
spdfrx

Postby redman143 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:50 pm

I just installed installed PS3 MS and it cannot detect my ps3.
I am using my wireless airport on my iMac and I'm also connected wireless on my ps3.
What am i doing wrong or not doing right?
Thanks for your help
redman143

Postby spdfrx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:31 pm

spdfrx wrote:secondly, your other suggestion, i also did try to hook both devices up to the modem (ok i'm actually starting to have doubts now whether i really tried that, i think i did, but i'll try again). however, what u suggest about connecting both devices to my Airport by wire afterwards...that won't work since my Airport Express only has 1 ethernet port ;)

just to follow up on my previous post (see quote above), i tried to hook both devices onto the modem only, both wired, but still no luck...

i give up. i prolonged my ISP subscription for another year under the condition that they will send me their new modem (a Thompson Speedtouch 730 or something like that), maybe that will change things. i'll also switch to either an Airport Extreme or Linksys WRT320N for my in-home wireless connection, maybe that helps too. any suggestions regarding Airport vs. Linksys with the highest likelihood to get this working?
spdfrx

Postby spdfrx » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:38 am

so i got the new Thomson ST706 (SpeedTouch 780) modem, WITH UPnP this time, enabled it, forwarded the ports, but still getting the same results... :cry:
spdfrx

Postby Blinkinlights » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:53 am

Had problems finding PS3...Here's what made it work for me on Mac 10.5 with Airport Extreme:
Went to "About this Mac">Network
Ethernet 2...BSD Device Name en1...10.0.1.198 (this is my computer's IP as set up by the Airport Extreme DNS on my network
Went to PMS>General Configuration>
Force network on interface: en1
Force IP on the server: 10.0.1.198
SAVE
Quit
Restart

Worked for me..HTH

Greg
Blinkinlights

PreviousNext

Return to Mac OS X Support