mkv support on its way to the ps3

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: mkv support on its way to the ps3

Postby rankafan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:07 pm

B4tm4n wrote:The way I read it was, the PS3 is a DivX certified player and DivX is going to support H264 files with .mkv extensions.
So you should, if or when Sony update the firmware, play files with .mkv extensions.

Or am I reading too much into this ?

Hmm. The way I read it, was that DivX Pro for Windows "can now take H.264 video content and compress it into more manageable sizes for playback on a PC or for transferring to a DVD for playback on a HDTV." In other words, DivX Pro for Windows will be able to read mkv files with H264 content, and be able to turn them into DivX.

Or am I reading too little into this?
Gorgeous, delicious, deculture!
rankafan

Postby Joksi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:10 pm

Its wrong.

I have the DivX 7 decoder a while ago, and it decodes H264 mkv. That is what its all about.

And its also clearly stated:

DivX told us that we can expect to see DVD and Blu-ray players - including the DivX-enabled PS3 - offering support for DivX Plus throughout the year.

The only thing that isnt 100% clear to me, is if he means that the PS3 will support *only* DivX HD files (.divx) or also .MKV because DivX supports it.
Joksi

Postby rankafan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 pm

Joksi wrote:The only thing that isnt 100% clear to me, is if he means that the PS3 will support *only* DivX HD files (.divx) or also .MKV because DivX supports it.

Well, thát's the question, ain't it? :) I doubt the latter, though, as an mkv with H264 content is simply not DivX at all. Sure, mkv support would be awesome. I just think that it's a bit of a stretch to leap from DivX Pro for Windows being able to take mkv files for input, for its creation of DivX files, to concluding the PS3 will therefore also read native mkv files.
rankafan

Postby B4tm4n » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:03 pm

I've just seen Divx Pro 7 posted on a usenet group, not sure if its the real thing or not

Just been to the DivX site ;

http://www.divx.com/en/products/softwar ... s/divx-pro

DivX Pro 7 (for Windows)

Everything you need to create and play true HD video

Create HD H.264 DivX Video
– By converting your files for playback anytime, anywhere

Watch DivX Video
– On your PC, browser and popular media players

Enjoy HD Video From the Internet
– With free playback of H.264 (.mkv) files

That last bit does seem to be saying .mkv playback.

Update/

I've downloaded DivX 7 and it does indeed play .mkv files. :D

Now hopefully Sony will update the PS3, seems a long shot though. :(
B4tm4n

Postby shelter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:23 am

Yeah, I also tried it, seems like DivX 7 supports "mkv subtitles" aswell. So if we're lucky... no more transcoding is needed.
shelter

Postby rankafan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:06 am

shelter wrote:Yeah, I also tried it, seems like DivX 7 supports "mkv subtitles" aswell. So if we're lucky... no more transcoding is needed.

I'd say there's a difference between DivX 7, the software, and DivX 7, the codec. I think Sony will give us the latter (if they want to keep their DivX certification), including the ability to play the DivX Plus HD Profile. I still doubt they'll emulate, in whole, DivX 7, the software, for us.
rankafan

Postby Joksi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:08 am

rankafan wrote:
shelter wrote:Yeah, I also tried it, seems like DivX 7 supports "mkv subtitles" aswell. So if we're lucky... no more transcoding is needed.

I'd say there's a difference between DivX 7, the software, and DivX 7, the codec. I think Sony will give us the latter (if they want to keep their DivX certification), including the ability to play the DivX Plus HD Profile. I still doubt they'll emulate, in whole, DivX 7, the software, for us.

I guess your right,
Joksi

Postby mikele » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:28 pm

DivX 6.8.5 and DivX 7 have the SAME DivX Community Codec 6.8.5 inside...

There is no any codecs changes between this two versions, only the player and encoding/decoding matrices :

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DivX.htm
mikele

Previous

Return to General Discussion