Embedded VobSUB + CoreAVC decoding without AviSynth

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Re: Embedded VobSUB + CoreAVC decoding without AviSynth

Postby BantryRed » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:26 am

oceanm
Cant seem to get this to work "vcodec == h264 :: -noass -mc 0.005 -vc coreavc -mt".
Using "-vc coreavc," works ok though.....?
BantryRed

Postby BantryRed » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:37 am

In debug its telling me that -mt is not a mencoder option??
BantryRed

Postby BantryRed » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:56 am

:oops: Ok my fault again, goto learn how to read :lol:
I was entering the settings in the "Custom Options" not in the "Expert Setting" tab. Sorry. Seems to be working ok now. Thanks :D
BantryRed

Postby oceanm » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:45 pm

"vcodec == h264 ::" -> in every case of h264 encoded files.
"-vc coreavc," should work well, but it will try to use coreavc to every file, not just h264 ones, and that will slow down pms and maybe even stability problems. I know coreavc avc only decodes some codecs.

"-noass" -> don't use ass style subtitles
Ass caused encoding issues with Turkish subtitles. So i disabled it, and shared here :)

"-mc 0.005" -> A/V Sync
For better A/V sync. But still may be problematic.

"-vc coreavc"
Use coreavc ;)

"-mt"
Use multithreaded mplayer build. Optional.

Known Issues:
* ASS Subtitled files can't encode.
* Playback stutters in about first 5-6 seconds.
* A/V Sync issues. I believe remuxing ac3/dts org re-encoding them creates latency. -mc 0.005 command prevents some of this situations. (not all)
* Random stutterings in playback. Not sure.

So it's best to use latest PMS unchanged version to encode videos that your CPU can decode. I.e. my CPU can decode 720p well, for 1080p videos, i use coreavc, recomended :)
oceanm

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:11 pm

When -vc coreavc is defined in custom settings, then "," is mandatory because coreavc is used for all files, not h264 only so "," defines to use next codec in priority = encoding works
When -vc coreavc is defined in expert settings, it is possible to define codec for which it will be used so defining:
Code: Select all
vcodec == h264 ::
is ok without any side effects(which solves "," in custom settings)
About issues posted:
Known Issues:

It is due to -noass parameter, not due to CoreAVC usage

I don't agree ;)
* A/V Sync issues. I believe remuxing ac3/dts org re-encoding them creates latency. -mc 0.005 command prevents some of this situations. (not all)

-mc 0.005 never do things worse than [-mc 0 -noskip] = parameters used by PMS in default settings.
So this "hack" will always help, never do things worse.....but not always will fix all files 8-)

True.
My testing found that some files with CoreAVC are encoder about 25% faster but for other I found that speed is same or sometimes worse. So it depends...not always using CoreAVC(Cuda) decoding is helpful but in most of cases yes.
I will make another tests when Sherpya will do more stable and tested MEncoder builds with dsnative.dll library.
Now experimental MEncoder build support DXVA HW decoding (ATI/Nvidia) but it doesn't work for now and I also suppose DXVA will not be usable for encoding part because decoded frames are passed to GPU directly and not to memory first so MEncoder can use them.
ExSport

Postby BantryRed » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38 pm

ExSport,
Does the -mc 0.005 setting delay either the staring of the video or audio when the movie start? Or is it something else? e.g. if I have a movie that the audio is ahead of the video, would I increase this setting to -mc 0.01????
BantryRed

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Number after -mc represents how many seconds MEncoder is allowed to repair bad sync on 1 frame of movie.
When bigger number is used, sometimes it leads to unsynced audio on files which needs -mc 0 -noskip parameters.
Because that I use so small nr. because it has same effect as bigger numbers but doesn't have side effect as described above.
It has nothing to do with delayed start of video file.
It is something like strenght indicator of syncing feature in MEnocder. But as I said more power leads sometimes to desync.
Because that 0.005 is the best value for me.
ExSport

Postby oceanm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:35 am

ExSport wrote:
Known Issues:

It is due to -noass parameter, not due to CoreAVC usage

In my configuration, it's because of ass subtitles, and this settings is enabled default. As long as i don't turn them off, it doesnt encodes anything.

ExSport wrote:

I don't agree ;)

Happens to me again as above one, may be -noass causes this.

ExSport wrote:

-mc 0.005 never do things worse than [-mc 0 -noskip] = parameters used by PMS in default settings.
So this "hack" will always help, never do things worse.....but not always will fix all files 8-)

Always helps? oh i'm not sure about that one, as you say "but not always will fix" :)
It's hard to find what causes this i think.

True.

ExSport wrote:My testing found that some files with CoreAVC are encoder about 25% faster but for other I found that speed is same or sometimes worse.

I didn't notified about slowdowns. Can you differ file info of slower encodings? Maybe some 1080p for example.

I believe Sherpya will make stable dsnative API. This issues happening because of unstableness? I don't know.
oceanm

Postby BantryRed » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:44 am

Another quick question for you ExSport or oceanm, I have an mkv movie that when I play with mencoder the sync is just not right, I think the audio is just slightly ahead, But, when I play it with mencoder/avisynth the sync is spot on. Why is this, that is why I was asking about changing the 0.005 value, I thought I could change the sync from the start, as in delay either the video or the audio. Thanks.
BantryRed

Postby BantryRed » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:08 am

Ok, just went to try to watch this movie again, and with oceanm sittings, avisynth/mencoder doesnt work, I know we are forcing mencoder-mt and coreavc to transcode, but is there a way we can skip like when using "," onto the next available option?
BantryRed

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Suggestions