FAQ/Tutorial Discussion/Archive

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PS3 Media Server for dummies / tutorial howto documentation

Postby saeba79 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Can I request a clarification for a Transcoding setting in this very useful guide?

In http://otmanix.de/english/2009/05/21/ja ... iguration/
it states:
- skip loop filter deblocking for h.264: disable deblocking filter for h.264 HD videos

It's unclear to me from this description and from the description in the software if I should check this or not to get best quality. In the software, it states:
- Skips loop filter deblocking for H264: COULD DEGRADE QUALITY, disable this is your CPU is fast enough!

I take "disable this" as uncheck it for better quality? Is that correct?

Thanks again for this great resource!!
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4ghz, 6gb memory, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme-N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point, PS3 w/40gb, 61" Samsung 1080P DLP TV
saeba79

Postby otmanix » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:23 pm

As I already wrote in the guide you can turn the deblocking filter for h.264-videos on or off. If you you want to know what is the effect of using this filter read the linked wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deblocking
For more infos about this topic please ask Shagrath, I'm not an expert in video codec settings.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby saeba79 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:07 pm

otmanix wrote:As I already wrote in the guide you can turn the deblocking filter for h.264-videos on or off. If you you want to know what is the effect of using this filter read the linked wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deblocking
For more infos about this topic please ask Shagrath, I'm not an expert in video codec settings.

Sorry... let me try again....

The English syntax of the checkbox is what is confusing me... does checking the box:
- Disable deblocking or
- Enable it?

The confusion is whether "skips" is a verb (as in skip or bypass deblocking) or an adjective "skips loop deblocking" (at type of deblocking - skips loop) ?

So ... what does checking the box do or not do with deblocking?

I suspect for best quality one unchecks the box so the loop deblocking is not skipped or bypassed? But I'm curious as to why it seems to be checked by default then?

In English (my native language), it would be clearer to state it this way (if I understand it):
- Disable loop filter deblocking for H264: Disabling could degrade quality, so don't check this if your CPU is fast enough!

And by the way... that's still kinda backwards. Usually, checking something enables it, not disables it. I would expect then:
- Enable loop filter deblocking for H264: Disabling could degrade quality, so check this if your CPU is fast enough!
Intel Quad Q6600 2.4ghz, 6gb memory, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme-N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point, PS3 w/40gb, 61" Samsung 1080P DLP TV
saeba79

Postby ExSport » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:15 am

saeba79 wrote:...I suspect for best quality one unchecks the box so the loop deblocking is not skipped or bypassed? But I'm curious as to why it seems to be checked by default then?...

What is better.
That:
1. realtime transcoding will be possible
2. better quality but many will complain about shuttering
Because that I suppose it is disabled by default(disabled=checked=>deblocking is not used because uses CPU heavily)
For people with powerful CPU they can uncheck it so deblocking will be used(not good on slow computers)
ExSport

Postby saeba79 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:39 pm

ExSport wrote:
saeba79 wrote:...I suspect for best quality one unchecks the box so the loop deblocking is not skipped or bypassed? But I'm curious as to why it seems to be checked by default then?...

What is better.
That:
1. realtime transcoding will be possible
2. better quality but many will complain about shuttering
Because that I suppose it is disabled by default(disabled=checked=>deblocking is not used because uses CPU heavily)
For people with powerful CPU they can uncheck it so deblocking will be used(not good on slow computers)

OK. I get it. Thanks!
saeba79

Postby tco » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Bedankt!! Großer Meister! ;)
tco

Postby OmegaII » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:34 am

otmanix wrote:

It's easy to complain but are you (or anybody else) willing to do sth for this project? I doubt that.
If you are interested in helping this project please reply to this thread. If there are enough people willing to help I think there will be ways to improve the situation.

Best regards, Otmanix

Willing to help, yes.
But as I'm the one searching info, there won't be much input. Unless someone explains all my questions.
OmegaII

Re: PS3 Media Server for dummies / tutorial howto documenta

Postby otmanix » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:11 pm

More than two weeks went by, thousands of page hits for this thread and only one positive response. But I already expected this.
Thanks anyway for your feedback OmegaII!
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby bugme » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:11 pm

i want to express my appreciation to the author of this thread and to anyone working on developing documentation for this project. People new to this program need a central resource for this type of information and this thread helped me a lot.

to otmantix:
it sucks trying to learn something usefull and having to scroll past a bunch of "ahh thanks man..." type of posts to see if there is any more info that follows. Also, when I needed help I read this thread and it answered my questions - I didn't want to register on the forum just to post "Thank you"; but now that I have registered, I will.
bugme

Postby jessicahanna214 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Ok as for the avisntnth? You say to dl the plug in? and copy it and put it somewhere im really confused on this. And do we have to have it? Please help on further install.
jessicahanna214

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support