Screen Sharing with Xbox 360/PS3

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Screen Sharing with Xbox 360/PS3

Postby manu08 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:27 pm

So I've got a Macbook Pro 13" notebook & I recently found out this cool feature it has called 'screen sharing' which basically allows you to view/control your Macbook's screen on another computer. I personally think that's some cool stuff.

Using this feature I thought you could [potentially] be able to play any type of media on your Xbox 360/PS3. I only have an Xbox 360 so I don't know how this would work with the PS3 but with the Xbox 360, imagine this:
You go into video library on your Xbox 360, you select PS3 Media Server & then select 'screen share' which would be a live stream of your Mac's screen.

The advantage of this is that you don't need to worry about different formats, different internet video websites & what not because what works on your Mac can be viewed directly on your Xbox 360 which in turn is connected to your TV so there is no issue of incompatibility. This would allow people to watch Hulu, Youtube, Fancast, NBA/NFL/NHL League Pass Broadband on their TV using the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Sound might be a problem? I guess it might be difficult to incorporate the sound within that same stream but if that's the case it's not really that big a deal because you can connect the Mac to external speakers & since what is running on your Mac is indeed what your TV will display there is no issue of A/V sync as the Mac is really what controls everything.

Any comments/suggestions? Too confusing?
manu08

Re: Screen Sharing with Xbox 360/PS3

Postby gazzzmoly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 am

manu08 wrote:So I've got a Macbook Pro 13" notebook & I recently found out this cool feature it has called 'screen sharing' which basically allows you to view/control your Macbook's screen on another computer. I personally think that's some cool stuff.

Using this feature I thought you could [potentially] be able to play any type of media on your Xbox 360/PS3. I only have an Xbox 360 so I don't know how this would work with the PS3 but with the Xbox 360, imagine this:
You go into video library on your Xbox 360, you select PS3 Media Server & then select 'screen share' which would be a live stream of your Mac's screen.

The advantage of this is that you don't need to worry about different formats, different internet video websites & what not because what works on your Mac can be viewed directly on your Xbox 360 which in turn is connected to your TV so there is no issue of incompatibility. This would allow people to watch Hulu, Youtube, Fancast, NBA/NFL/NHL League Pass Broadband on their TV using the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Sound might be a problem? I guess it might be difficult to incorporate the sound within that same stream but if that's the case it's not really that big a deal because you can connect the Mac to external speakers & since what is running on your Mac is indeed what your TV will display there is no issue of A/V sync as the Mac is really what controls everything.

Any comments/suggestions? Too confusing?

it called VNC or in Microsoft world remote desktop..... if you where that botherd about playing all video types then just install yellow dog linux on a ps3 what you are asking for is impossible with just media centre extender you need need a firmware update on the xbox

actually could you not use pc anywhere on the ps3?
gazzzmoly

Postby mazey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:31 am

unfortunetly with vnc the only way to access it via ps3 is with a java connection, unfortunetly ps3 doesnt support java so it doesnt work :( as for microsoft sharing that wont work either cuz apps for it dont exist for the ps3. if ps3 supported java then vnc would most probably work.. but dont hold ure breath. and as for accessing anything other then for viewing only via dlna im preety sure its impossible.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby chocolateboy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:53 pm

chocolateboy
Project Member

Postby gazzzmoly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:07 pm

I belive the point we are trying to make is not that it cant bee done there is always a way but the impracticality of the final implamentation would not be benificial at all ,... as for the google code page this is to view only might has well just plug a computer into a tv.
gazzzmoly

Postby scardydragon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:35 am

You can do this cool thing by downloading youtube on your PS3 in the PS3store. You can 'sync' your device and control the video on your tv screen through your PS3 from your computer/tablet/phone. Just use the same youtube account and your in. PS3 also has skype.
scardydragon

Return to Feature Suggestions