HOWTO: PS3 Media Server on Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: HOWTO: PS3 Media Server on Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala

Postby BalleClorin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:59 pm

Updated pms package with working initscript downloadable here: https://launchpad.net/~andreas-noteng/+ ... /+packages
packages of 1.11.369 will soon be available on https://launchpad.net/~andreas-noteng/+archive/beta
BalleClorin

Postby dislodge112 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:11 am

great tutorial, managed to get all the way through and everything works EXCEPT still no mkv playback (ohno!) (ubuntu 9.10 x64 dual core)

when i try to play mkv's the playstation says the data is corrupted, and the pms app shows no buffer changes. here is the error i get:
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.582 [mencoder] 00:06:51.575 Fatal error in process starting: : Cannot run program "mencoder": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
[mencoder] 00:06:51.582 Fatal error in process starting: : Cannot run program "mencoder": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.583 java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "mencoder": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.583 at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:474)
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.583 at net.pms.io.ProcessWrapperImpl.run(ProcessWrapperImpl.java:83)
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.584 Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.584 at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:164)
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.584 at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:81)
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.584 at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:467)
[mencoder] TRACE 00:06:51.584 ... 1 more

now, i know that we specifically uninstalled mencoder, but i'm worried that if i attempt to reinstall it i will just undo the progress i have made.

any ideas?

thanks a bunch
dislodge112

Postby industrai » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:40 pm

type mencoder in a terminal. if it is installed it will tell you the version and tell you to provide more information. if it isn't installed then you will get an error about it not being installed.

when you ran ./configure, make sure you didn't use --disable mencoder.

also make sure you run cd ps3mediaserver, then ./PMS.sh, instead of $HOME/ps3mediaserver/PMS.sh, as it won't be able to load ffmpeg and other needed libraries this way.
industrai

Postby dislodge112 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 am

woohoo, i got it working. must have failed the checkinstall when i ran it last time because i just repeated the process and ended up with mencoder installed the right way. mkv's are transcoding, yessss.

on a different note, under my transcoding settings, the option for multithreaded support was grayed out, but i managed to fix this by editing PMS.conf and adding the following two lines:
Code: Select all
mencoder_mt = true
nbcores = 2

thanks so much
dislodge112

Postby arrrghhh » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:09 am

So I tried following this guide and the links to the many other guides... oy, I wish there was an easier way to get ffmpeg & mplayer to work with multiple cores! My PS3MediaServer setup was working well, but I was having issues transcoding anything over 720p.

I thought it was my processor, and I always wanted to get rid of my economy proc and upgrade to a beeifer quad core... Took the plunge today, to find out that the processor I had before may not have been the limiting factor, as it was only using one core before!!

Anyhoo, I followed all these guides and now I can't transcode anything. It tells me to "check the logs" for what looks like ffmpeg and mplayer, but do they have logs? I thought their output was in the console, so does that mean the debug.log? I don't know what I'm looking for in the debug.log to be perfectly honest, and since it was working before I'm certain I did something wrong. I'd appreciate some help! Perhaps there should be a comprehensive guide to get PS3MediaServer transcoding with multiple cores properly... Because the hodgepodge of guides is confusing to say in the least. Thanks for the help!
arrrghhh

Postby tapiocateeh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Does this work on Ubuntu Server? ie, strictly with terminal commands only? i believe it should, but i would just like to confirm before proceeding. please let me know. thanks =)
tapiocateeh

Postby meskibob » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Yes. There's a guide for 9.04 headless if you need any additional assistance - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3437
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ngr777 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:45 pm

Great post!!

Two things, and I may have just missed it by not going through the entire thread. However, I did two things in addition to this, added an init script, I do not remember the thread but someone had a good write up here on the forum.

The second thing I noticed was when you start the server the logs show this:

[main] TRACE 14:18:50.401 Error in MediaInfo Library loading: Unable to load library 'mediainfo': libmediainfo.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[main] TRACE 14:18:50.402 Make sure you have libmediainfo and libzen installed

To fix this I did this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shiki/mediainfo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libmediainfo0 libmediainfo0-dev libzen0 libzen0-dev

This resolved the issue in the logs.

Next steps for myself is the add restart to the init script, although performing stop then start is pretty easy as well.

Thanks again for the AWESOME post!!
ngr777

Postby ferrouille » Fri May 20, 2011 12:04 am

Hi,
first of all, this tutorial is just amazing. great work on your end.

I am 99% there but am having an issue at pretty much the last step.

hen I enter:
cd ps3mediaserver
./PMS.sh

this is what comes up:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/pms/PMS
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.pms.PMS
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
Could not find the main class: net.pms.PMS. Program will exit.

Any thoughts??

thanks so much!
tom
ferrouille

Previous

Return to Linux/Unix Support