File for stress testing PMS

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby alui » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:14 am

Joksi,

Did you have audio out-of-sync problem with Taxi 3? I was able to stream it fine but the audio was delayed. Not sure if it was my setup or the video ...


Joksi wrote:I tried the Taxi 3 sample and the Bunny MP4 sample (1080p).
Taxi 3 played smooth, besides the two scenes where you saw the airplane in the air above the mountains (PS3 then reported rising bitrates up to 100Mbps so the video slowed down) but with the Bunny several parts stuttered. Strange in fact, cause my CPU doesnt report much more then 60-70% at both cores when this happens but the PSM buffer is struggeling to fill up. Wonder if its something with the buffer, or if itll make any difference if i try the same sample over gigabit?

Both played with MEncoder HT over 100mbps.

EDIT: I solved the Bunny sample stutter, when changed to gigabit! Peak bitrate shown in PMS is 174Mbps, and my CPU is at 40-70% (AMD Dual Core) with task manager showing ~15% utilized of my gigabit connection (=~150Mbps)
alui
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:29 am

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby Joksi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:42 am

Yes i had
Joksi
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby Joksi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:32 pm

One question, the Bunny sample can be downloaded in both MP4 and H264 at 1080p.
Well, H264 is a CODEC while MP4 is only a container. It should state MP4 or MKV, in fact the MP4 file is AVI.

So what is the difference between these two versions of the sample? Is it the same quality?
Cause when transcoding the MP4 on gigabit (lossless profile in PMS) the worst parts are at about 20MB/s, and the CPU is at 70-80% (both cores), but, when transcoding the MKV (h264 on the website) the bandwitdh is the same but the CPU is at 95-100% on both cores.

So what up with the MP4 beeing less hard on the CPU load?

EDIT: When i drop the files in Gspot, it states that the MKV file is codec ISO H264 and the AVI file is FMP4 FFmpeg/ffdshow ISO MPEG-4.
Also, Gspot tells me that this codec is NOT installed, although I can play the avi (MP4) without problems in WMP11 on the PC.
Joksi
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby Joksi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Is there anyone that can play this sample with PMS smoothly?

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/killer_sample.mkv
Joksi
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby gastric » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:42 pm

Joksi wrote:Is there anyone that can play this sample with PMS smoothly?

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/killer_sample.mkv


I could not play this smoothly my my Q6600 quad core/4GB/Gigabit using the default settings + 4 cores in 1.03 However, once I upped the buffers to 600MB and enabled the "Enhanced multicore support" option for MEncoder it now plays smoothly without any issues. I didn't have test resetting the buffers back to 400MB to see if buffers fixed it, Enhanced Multicore, or a combination of the two.

I'm building a separate E5200 core 2 duo/4GB/Gigabit machine next week to perform as a headless media server/storage so we'll see if it can handle the same task or not.
gastric
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby shagrath » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Joksi wrote:Is there anyone that can play this sample with PMS smoothly?

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/killer_sample.mkv


the famous bird scene... quad core almost mandatory I think.. but again, the transcode buffer has its utility there
shagrath
Project Lead
 
Posts: 2667
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:39 pm

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby Joksi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:42 am

I cant play it even on worst quality :)

On my PC in WMP11 it stutters too a bit (fffdshow), not that much though, but with CoreAVC it doenst. In MPC the CPU load is only 60% and it doesnt stutter at all!
Joksi
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby gastric » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Some more data:

E5200 Core 2 Duo @ 2.5GHz / 4GB RAM / Gigabit can *NOT* play the Killer sample. It stutters, you can see the PS3 Media Server buffer empty. The CPU simply cannot keep up towards the end of the clip. If the clip looped endlessly it's certainly stutter like crazy due to an empty buffer.

E5200 Core 2 Duo @ 3.5GHz (overclocked) / 4GB RAM / Gigabit *CAN* play the Killer sample. The extra CPU power tackles the Killer sample and maintains a good buffer which keeps increasing instead of decreasing and emptying.
gastric
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby Flow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:16 am

shagrath wrote:the famous bird scene... quad core almost mandatory I think.. but again, the transcode buffer has its utility there


Shagrath, you might have seen me posting on different thread about this but since you mention exactly what I'm trying to do here I thought this might be interesting...

I have here the planet earth 1080P VC1. 88GB for the whole series. This was my main reason for using PMS in fact and when I first did you were at version 1.02.1 which worked great! This famous bird scene was flawless for me and all I have here is a E2160 overclocked to 3Ghz! I don't know why you say quad core is almost mandatory since my E2160 is a VERY budget CPU and it does the trick, but the worst part is that my video is the VC1 and it's not suppose to play well... right? Now it did work but only that day... watched a good 2 hours. The next day it wouldnt anymore and even after upgrading to 1.03. I reformated my pc and it worked again using 1.03! Now same thing the next day it didnt anymore! I'm going nuts here! I love your program it's the greatest thing out there for people with a PS3 of course.

I have asked the question already but how could it have worked being a VC1? There's got to be an answer for this! I did some diging in the forums... some say to close uTorrent, doesn't work. I'm on a gigabit network here, windows xp, 2gb ram, raid config. It should be pretty smooth as it was, but when it does play. So unless there's a bug somewhere I don't see what else it could be. I hope I don't sound sarcastic, it's not what I'm trying to do. :D
Flow
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:34 am

Re: File for stress testing PMS

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Flow wrote:...I don't know why you say quad core is almost mandatory since my E2160 is a VERY budget CPU and it does the trick...

Don't mix more things together ;)
Your "Bird Scene" in VC1 is not the same as linked AVC version!!! AVC version uses level 5.1 which uses up to 16 ref frames instead of max 4. It is much more CPU intensive than your 1080p VC-1 version.
Because that he said it is very hard to decode AVC stream and also encode it to MPEG2 and stream it flawlessly to PS3 on 2 core cpu only ;)
ExSport
 
Posts: 2167
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 14 guests