Blu-ray ISOs

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here

Re: Blu-ray ISOs

Postby caf » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:40 pm

Bibbit wrote:
ExSport wrote:Not only structure is different but also video format/codec. Blu-ray uses .H264 or VC-1 video codec but DVD-Video uses MPEG2.
When you will check directory \BDMV\STREAM\ of your Blu-ray, you will find m2ts files there which are natively played by PS3 ;)

Have folks been able to play blu-ray ISO's?

I believe that the PS3MS does not play Bluray ISO. Only DVDs ISOs.

Caf
caf

Postby Bibbit » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:13 pm

caf wrote:
Bibbit wrote:
ExSport wrote:Not only structure is different but also video format/codec. Blu-ray uses .H264 or VC-1 video codec but DVD-Video uses MPEG2.
When you will check directory \BDMV\STREAM\ of your Blu-ray, you will find m2ts files there which are natively played by PS3 ;)

Have folks been able to play blu-ray ISO's?

I believe that the PS3MS does not play Bluray ISO. Only DVDs ISOs.

Caf
Thanks. This means I have to mount my blu-ray ISO from last night and have AnyDVD re-rip it to a folder. Oh well, could be worse. At least it'll play the folder.
Bibbit

Postby Scribe » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 pm

I would also like to see this feature. I noticed my main issues were with AVCHD images.
Scribe

Postby 0db » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:03 pm

I don't think you're ever going to get an .iso streaming solution for blu-rays, they're just too dynamic and interactive in the menu/file structure.

There are, however, people that have this down to a pretty good science when it comes to the more complicated movies like the branching Disney stuff. There's a suite of programs, search for eac3to, clown_bd, tsmuxer, I think most of it is going on over at Doom9.

I was able to extract a good copy of Wall-E using tsmuxer; I also tried eac3to and picked the wrong playlist (with the exact right run time) and got nothing but a black screen for 1 hour and 38 minutes. The good copy streamed at exactly blu-ray quality and it was stunning.

So far I haven't found any success with the "high definition" audio though - I'd LOVE to be able to rip the DTS-MA track and throw that over the network to my PS3 but it just doesn't seem to work.
0db

Postby theUtmost » Sat May 16, 2009 11:59 am

Is it possible to use another program to do the file structure interpretation for BluRay ISO images eg Daemon Tools?

I'm a looong-time HTPC user and new PS3 user, so this streaming stuff is all new to me, but under Windows Media Center there is a great 3rd party program called "My Movies" which leverages Daemon Tools APIs to automatically mount DVD ISO images. The newer versions of both My Movies (and Daemon Tools) allow you to do this also for BluRay ISO images, provided you're running Windows Vista Media Center or newer.
Granted the content is stored either locally on the Media Center box or (in my case) a network file share, so it's very different from a streaming situation.
I'm just wondering if a similar approach is possible?

I note similar feature requests for AVCHD ISO file support and UDF 2.5 file support.
I'm guessing these are all related to the same thing - finding a way of playing back ripped BluRay movies from PC HDD using PS3MS.
If I rip a BluRay as a folder structure, I can browse down through the levels using PS3MS and pick (hopefully) the right .M2TS stream but it's a bit ugly really...

Otherwise, fantastic work on PS3MS - it's awesome :)
theUtmost

Postby SatLX » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:45 pm

rankafan wrote:
TwinMoonsAnime wrote:I can see this would be a nightmare because some studios, like Disney, break up the movie into a hundred different m2ts files and you have to figure out the order they play! Honestly, I don't know how it would be possible to do that with the media server.

You'd have to use the playlist files (MPLS) for starters. These, however, are everything but transparent. You could make an educated guess, based on SD/HD content, length, etc.; but that's not necessarily a guarantee you'd get the 'main feature'. And if you want a real nightmare, try and decode the BD Java menus, to see which is which. Sometimes, for instance, there's episodic content which resides all in a single m2ts; you would per se need to decipher the BD Java menu structure to determine at which file position the episodes start. My Macross Frontier Blu-Rays, for example, are organized like that.

In short: forget it. :) Never gonna work.

Hello,

Now that Tsmuxer correctly supports MPLS files, it would be worthwhile that PS3MS could also use them. As stated previously, this will resolve the problem of multi M2TS files, and also sound synchronization for some movies. When converting manually, I always use Tsmuxer and process the MPLS file (I just have to check that the MPLS contains the biggest M2TS file in the list).

This MPLS support seems to be a "must have" function for this already wonderful tool.
SatLX

Postby vtek63 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:39 am

wvercimak wrote:I use MagicDisc to mount my Blu-ray ISOs and play them on my PC using PowerDVD 8 Ultra. I use Movie Collector to track which movies I own and a great feature of this is the ability to link to the movie on the HDD and launch it. Works great with DVDs. But Blu-ray movies on my HDD are saved as ISO files. For consistancy, I created a batch file to mount the Blu-ray ISO and I setup Vista to autoplay a movie when inserted into a drive. Having a PS3 I started searching for an excellent Media Server to stream my PC HDD DVD and Blu-ray movies. I came accross the PS3 Media Server and it works well with my DVDs. However, as I understand the Ps3 cannont handle ISOs. What I've noticed however, is that the PS3 Media Server does see my mounted virtual drives. So, I'm wondering if there would be a way for the PS3 Media Server to do something similar to what i've done on my PC with a batch file.

Auto mount the Blu-ray ISO and stream. Not sure if Transcoding would be necessary since the PS3 handles Blu-ray playback. If there is no solution, I would have to mount the Blu-ray ISO on the PC manually and then I could see the content on the PS3 via PS3 Media Server. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

What are you using to mount the Blu-ray ISO? I am using DaemonTools and my PS3 doesn't see that drive. The mounted drive plays fine on my PC though.

Thanks!
vtek63

Postby A320 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Reviving this cause I'd like to know what if any success people are having with this. Is it do-able when mounting the blu-ray?
A320

Postby kemik » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:55 am

I do hope this could be resolved. This is the killer feature for me. I'd love to have all my SD DVD and Blu Ray rips in single .ISO format files
kemik

Postby vtek63 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:12 pm

bump
vtek63

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Suggestions