HowTo: Streaming SiriusXM

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

HowTo: Streaming SiriusXM

Postby DEFAULTx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:09 am

I haven't found an easier way of doing this, so this is how I got it done. If someone knows of a better way please let me know. I sure hope this is helpful to those of use that enjoy our PS3 to the fullest.

Requirements of course PS3, PS3 Media Server, Windows, LAN & SiriusXMStreamer. (http://www.permanence.com/sirius/)

You should already have your PS3 setup using PS3 Media Server and have internet access.

This is how I setup SiriusXMStreamer (I haven't got around to taking screenshots but I will) but your setup may differ depending on your preferences.

Once SiriusXMStreamer is setup, run the app & go to "Configuration". Enter your account info for either Siriux/XM (or both like me :D ). Under "Default Stream Format", I set it to "HTTP - M3U". "SiriusXMStreamer Server" was already prefilled so I left it alone. You'll notice "TVersity Media Server", but I left that alone since obviously that's not what we're using & I'm not sure how it's setup using that app. Apply the settings & Start the Server. Now you'll need to make 2 entries in the "WEB.CONF" file of the PS3 Media Server. Below is the sample of the entries I made to mine from the default settings that were already included in the "WEB.CONF". The IP address of course may be different depending on how your LAN is setup. To get the correct addresses for your feeds you can either just substitute the static IP of your PC running PS3 Media Server or go to SiriusXMStreamer & click on the "Sirius Channels" & "XM Channels", select "Feeds" then directly to the right using the drop down arrow, choose "Copy URL M3U" & paste the info into your "WEB.CONF. Restart the PS3 Media Server & both feeds should appear under "WEB - Sirius / XM". The only part I haven't been able to figure out is why the feed shows a total run time of 1:45:32. When it reaches this time lapse, it'll automatically move to the next feed. I've tried messing with a few settings but no luck so far maybe you can help!

#audio podcasts
audiofeed.Web,Podcasts=http://podcasts.engadget.com/rss.xml
audiofeed.Web,Sirius=http://192.168.1.101:51710/sirius/feed?category=&genre=&format=m3u
audiofeed.Web,XM=http://192.168.1.101:51710/xm/feed?category=&genre=&format=m3u

[UPDATE] Forgot to mention the firewall port exception. Thanks to <tahdahrah> for helping me realize I had excluded this. If you're having problems streaming make note of the TCP port in the URL of the stream. If anyone needs help setting that up let me know. If I get enough requests, I'll make it part of this HowTo. I still haven't figured out how to get around the stream time limit of 1:45:32. I've hesitated posting another topic in hopes that others setting this up will noticed something that I haven't that gets around this limit. I was hoping to get more feedback but oh well plenty of views so far.
Last edited by DEFAULTx on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEFAULTx

Re: HowTo: Streaming SiriusXM

Postby rickster53 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:33 pm

DEFAULTx wrote:I haven't found an easier way of doing this, so this is how I got it done. If someone knows of a better way please let me know. I sure hope this is helpful to those of use that enjoy our PS3 to the fullest.

Requirements of course PS3, PS3 Media Server, Windows, LAN & SiriusXMStreamer. (http://www.permanence.com/sirius/)

You should already have your PS3 setup using PS3 Media Server and have internet access.

This is how I setup SiriusXMStreamer (I haven't got around to taking screenshots but I will) but your setup may differ depending on your preferences.

Once SiriusXMStreamer is setup, run the app & go to "Configuration". Enter your account info for either Siriux/XM (or both like me :D ). Under "Default Stream Format", I set it to "HTTP - M3U". "SiriusXMStreamer Server" was already prefilled so I left it alone. You'll notice "TVersity Media Server", but I left that alone since obviously that's not what we're using & I'm not sure how it's setup using that app. Apply the settings & Start the Server. Now you'll need to make 2 entries in the "WEB.CONF" file of the PS3 Media Server. Below is the sample of the entries I made to mine from the default settings that were already included in the "WEB.CONF". The IP address of course may be different depending on how your LAN is setup. To get the correct addresses for your feeds you can either just substitute the static IP of your PC running PS3 Media Server or go to SiriusXMStreamer & click on the "Sirius Channels" & "XM Channels", select "Feeds" then directly to the right using the drop down arrow, choose "Copy URL M3U" & paste the info into your "WEB.CONF. Restart the PS3 Media Server & both feeds should appear under "WEB - Sirius / XM". The only part I haven't been able to figure out is why the feed shows a total run time of 1:45:23. When it reaches this time lapse, it'll automatically move to the next feed. I've tried messing with a few settings but no luck so far maybe you can help!

#audio podcasts
audiofeed.Web,Podcasts=http://podcasts.engadget.com/rss.xml
audiofeed.Web,Sirius=http://192.168.1.101:51710/sirius/feed?category=&genre=&format=m3u
audiofeed.Web,XM=http://192.168.1.101:51710/xm/feed?category=&genre=&format=m3u

I have been trying to get this working myself for quite some time so this is terrific news. :D I will try setting this up later today and will report back. I had this working with Tversity at one point and it would display all the individual XM channels so I could pick and choose what I wanted to hear. Does your setup do that as well? If this works, then PS3MS will have overcome the last thing Tversity did for me that PS3MS couldn't.
rickster53

Postby rickster53 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:11 pm

DEFAULTx... it worked like a champ for me, thanks! Your instructions were spot on, especially the part about grabbing the URL (M3u) info from the Sirius XMStreamer application. The whole XM channel lineup is displayed on my TV and I can play any channel without a problem. I only have XM Radio so that was the only feed I could enable, but I did not see any "total run time" posted that you refered to. Is it possible that limit was just on the Sirius side of the house?

Anyway, thanks again for your post!
riskster53
rickster53

Postby DEFAULTx » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Glad it worked for you man. Once you got a stream going press Select on the PS3 controller. That'll display info about the stream & you'll notice there on the right that it says 1:45:32. It'll also show how long you've had the stream playing. Well once it hits that time, it'll automatically switch over to the next channel. No big deal I guess but I'm just curious where that limit comes from. I posted in the SiriusXMStreamer forum to see if anyone could give me some insight. I'm thinking it's maybe a time limit set on streams & maybe it's hardcoded in PMS but hopefully some here can help figure it out also.
DEFAULTx

Postby DEFAULTx » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 am

Any chance of this getting stickied somewhere?!
DEFAULTx

Postby DEFAULTx » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:18 am

Here are some screenshots everyone. Hope this helps anyone who is having problems with their setup. The IP address will of course be different depending on your setup but everything should be the same.

siriusxmstreamer3.JPG
siriusxmstreamer3.JPG (46.73 KiB) Viewed 17236 times

siriusxmstreamer2.JPG
siriusxmstreamer2.JPG (54.27 KiB) Viewed 17236 times

siriusxmstreamer1.JPG
siriusxmstreamer1.JPG (59.7 KiB) Viewed 17236 times
DEFAULTx

Postby formation » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:52 am

Still 1 problem. It costs to use >_>
formation

Postby DEFAULTx » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:50 am

Everything cost something brother nothing in life is for free...
DEFAULTx

Postby DEFAULTx » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:08 pm

ttt
DEFAULTx

Postby rickster53 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:30 pm

DEFAULTx wrote:Everything cost something brother nothing in life is for free...

XM Online was a free service early last year. Then they made you start paying for it. I have an XM radio/nav system in my car. When I renewed my XM subscription this year I negotiated with them for free XM online. XM is going thru much internal change becasue of their merger with Sirius and trying very hard to hold onto their customer base. They are very willing to negotiate with you to keep you as a customer...
rickster53

Next

Return to General Help and Support