Just another connection problem

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Just another connection problem

Postby nepher78 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:49 pm

I have installed PSM 1.03, and PS3 is at 2.60.
I cannot get the connection between them.
Strangely enough to me, the network setup is working:
- UPNP up and running on router
- SSDP service started
- disabled all the firewalls
- I can correctly ping my PS3 from the PC (winXP).
- netstat -a reports LISTENING on 5001/TCP

But the media server does not show up in the XMB. If I force a server discovery from the PS3, I see in the PSM trace that the search request is received, a DISCOVER message is sent... but nothing happens on the PS3, after a while it reports no media server found (you can see in the trace attached, 192.168.1.103 is the PS3.

What else could I check to get it up and running?

Thanks!

[main] TRACE 21:45:39.395 Using address /192.168.1.100 found on network interface: name:eth0 (Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport) index: 2 addresses: /192.168.1.100;
[main] TRACE 21:45:39.405 Created socket: /192.168.1.100:5001
[Thread-11] TRACE 21:45:39.415 Starting DLNA Server on host 192.168.1.100 and port 5001...
[main] TRACE 21:45:39.415 Using following UUID: a7a62aed-ec62-30e1-97fc-e560a9fa8d69
[main] TRACE 21:45:39.976 It's ready! You should see the server appears on XMB
[Thread-15] TRACE 21:46:10.240 Receiving search request from 192.168.1.103! Sending DISCOVER message...
nepher78

Re: Just another connection problem

Postby frank_jarle » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 pm

You dont by any chance run any anti-virus package with together with a software Firewall? If so, try to disable it and see if that works. Another solution is to create a rule for your java to accept incoming data on port 5001.

Frank
frank_jarle

Postby rob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Is the connection between the PS3 and the PC going over an unmanaged hub/switch or via the router? A hub or switch will just pass all traffic across the network, but something more clever (particularly a router that is upnp) can allow some traffic through, but everything else. If it is a router do you need to specify what each device connecting through is or specify to allow all traffic to and from it?

Sorry to be a bit vague, but if pings are working and port tcp_5001 is open on the pc it looks like it should work.

Rob
rob

Postby nepher78 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:26 pm

I really dunno what's wrong.
In the meanwhile, I changed router, from the old Netgear to a new Linksys WRT160N.
So I had to rearrange all the rules and permissions, but the behaviour is exactly the same as before, so I tend to exclude that the fault is in the router.
So it is up to the PS3 or the specific setup of the pc. To try a debug, I used another pc: a fresh install on this other PC just works fine.
So the problem is with the PC I intend to use. But I struggle to understand where the problem is.
- Java version is 1.6.0_11
- I use Comodo program for both firewall and antivirus: I'm trying with the entire app shut off (even if on, on but disabled, or totally exited does not change anything).
- Windows firewall is turned off
- I disabled all the netwrok interfaces (wireless) and the only working is the eth0, the right one
- I have ome warnings as avisynth is not installed, but this should not prevent anything
- behaviour is just the same... dicover is sensed, answer is sent, but no connection.

Anything else to check you can suggest??
nepher78

Postby WebCideR » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:17 pm

I had same experience i use Comodo firewall too and i noticed that even if i Disable the firewall it wouldn't allow me traffic through Java applications.

Solution go to Comodo Firewall enable Java to traffic and it works :)

If you need details tell me because i can't remember them specific myself.
And don't ask me why this is overall i think Comodo Firewall is a superb and very good to my needs it bugs me why it had to be allowing Java even if i turned and closed the Firewall down i guess its very deep integrating itself with Windows to assure that you are secured and yes this solution also works when firewall isn't activated...

Hope you can use this help.
WebCideR

Postby neodore » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:24 pm

WebCideR wrote:I had same experience i use Comodo firewall too and i noticed that even if i Disable the firewall it wouldn't allow me traffic through Java applications.

Solution go to Comodo Firewall enable Java to traffic and it works :)

If you need details tell me because i can't remember them specific myself.
And don't ask me why this is overall i think Comodo Firewall is a superb and very good to my needs it bugs me why it had to be allowing Java even if i turned and closed the Firewall down i guess its very deep integrating itself with Windows to assure that you are secured and yes this solution also works when firewall isn't activated...

Hope you can use this help.

I have the same problem as nepher78 but i don't have any other firewall than windows xp's own... I have NOD32 as virusprog... And i got the same message that my PS3 is sending a discover msg to PMS... but after that nothing happens... to add i got the windows media server to work with my PS3... this is really odd :/
neodore

Postby WebCideR » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:41 pm

Need some more information to be off help.

There are tons of possibilities that Connection won't work NOD32 i have heard of it blocking but mostly if you got the Internet Security NOD32 package.
Again it could be router or something else blocking also it could be related to IP issues or Port issues lots of
possibilities need more details of your configuration and network and stuff before i can be of any help.
WebCideR

Postby neodore » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:29 pm

WebCideR wrote:Need some more information to be off help.

There are tons of possibilities that Connection won't work NOD32 i have heard of it blocking but mostly if you got the Internet Security NOD32 package.
Again it could be router or something else blocking also it could be related to IP issues or Port issues lots of
possibilities need more details of your configuration and network and stuff before i can be of any help.

When i this second time closedown Windows firewall then the PMS went through... and it's works.... but i don't now what to do to get this firewall to accept my PS3.
I just have nod32 with antivirus...maybe i should get a decent firewall instead....

so this must mean that neither my router or my instable wireless connection is the problem...
neodore

Return to General Help and Support