Streaming HD content wirelessly IS possible!

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Streaming HD content wirelessly IS possible!

Postby LongbowFoSho » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:07 am

jbarr2000 wrote:I just started using PS3MS, don't really know much about anything. I basically installed it and ran it with the default settings, except I upped the buffer to 600. AC3 is set to 640 and quality is at 1-1-2 and I'm streaming 720p over wireless just fine. Am I missing something?

If its not broke.... :D
LongbowFoSho

Postby Kalq » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:27 am

jbarr2000 wrote:I just started using PS3MS, don't really know much about anything. I basically installed it and ran it with the default settings, except I upped the buffer to 600. AC3 is set to 640 and quality is at 1-1-2 and I'm streaming 720p over wireless just fine. Am I missing something?

Yeah same here. I started using ps3mediaserver about 8 months ago and I stream it wirelessly to my ps3 and I have no issues with stuttering ever. I've tried 720p, 1080i and 1080p and no problems. This includes 5.1 HD-audio and everything. Also I barely made any changes to the default settings. I enabled Enchanced multicore support for h264 hd content and changed audio and subtitle language priority but that's about it. And the HD looks absolutely phenomenal. This topic surprised me. I didn't think wireless was such an issue although admittedly my router is only about 50-60 feet from my ps3.
Kalq

Postby fableman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:50 am

What you missing is quality... My PS3 show me 50-80Mbit dl stream witch you can never get over a wireless connection soo you missing out quality.

If ya happy with what ya got fine for you, But I would never use wireless for my self.

And my cable is secure, no wirless is secure WPA2 is doable these days and now they even hacked GSM a few weeks ago.

I got a quite big house and still I have got CAT6 cables all over the house, the small job for a perfect connection is worth it :)
fableman

Postby pejik » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:29 am

fableman wrote:My PS3 show me 50-80Mbit dl stream witch you can never get over a wireless connection

... except I get such speeds all the time :D (my PS3 is connected by cable to N-router, but the rest is wireless)

What I found out when experiencing with wireless for the first time was "limit bandwith" settings that caused me some very high bitrates (120+ Mb/s) when unchecked... better keeping it configured to reasonable limit (~70 Mb/s for wireless N, 15 Mb/s for slower wireless)
pejik

Previous

Return to General Discussion