security

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

security

Postby urahara454 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:21 am

just wondering, but I opened the software, and it found my ps3 straight away. no confirmation at all, so if someone else uses their ps3 they can get access to all my files that I am sharing with my ps3. Im just wondering how to lock out people like in Windows media sharing with WMP11, you see the device and set it to allow, and if any other devices try to access it then they cant access it unless I give confirmation. Is there a way to do that with this software
urahara454

Re: security

Postby otmanix » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:53 am

You can set an IP filter to only allow a certain device and change share settings.
Read howto for further infos: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby ExSport » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:06 am

Let you know that this IP filtering is not working with HTTP Engine v2 enabled.
ExSport

Postby otmanix » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:15 am

thanks for the info, I didn't know that :o
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby ExSport » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:24 am

otmanix wrote:thanks for the info, I didn't know that :o

Yesterday I tested it and when I disabled v2 it started to work again but with v2 and "IP filter set to unknown IP" I was able to see PMS server and stream/transcode without problems...
ExSport

Postby xcalibur » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:21 am

urahara454 wrote:just wondering, but I opened the software, and it found my ps3 straight away. no confirmation at all, so if someone else uses their ps3 they can get access to all my files that I am sharing with my ps3. Im just wondering how to lock out people like in Windows media sharing with WMP11, you see the device and set it to allow, and if any other devices try to access it then they cant access it unless I give confirmation. Is there a way to do that with this software

You could start by passwording your wifi.
The only way I see someone can "tap" into your files is by accessing your network.
As for external hazards I believe you have nothing to worry about. This kind of networking cant be accessed from the internet as it's completely separated.
xcalibur

Postby DanteVirgil » Sun May 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Is PMS run strictly to your Wifi connection? And only recognizes devices that are using said wifi?
DanteVirgil

Return to General Discussion