[Win2008] PS3 can't see media server on startup

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Getting PS3 to see media server on startup

Postby jrothlis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Well, this morning I excitedly downloaded 1.04 and tested, and no joy -- same problem as before.

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition
AMD Quad-Core
8GB RAM
32bit Java

Did anyone else have success with 1.04?
jrothlis

Postby sonic_screw » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:50 pm

I find the media server appears within 3 minutes of starting the PS3. I believe this is the ALIVE message sent every 180s. So the UPnP discovery is broken (I'm pretty certain now this issue is specific to Win 2008). However I've just had a look at the SVN log and r270 was committed on Saturday with comment "UPNP discovery revamping" - so I'll test that build later and see if it's made any difference.
sonic_screw

Postby gastric » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Here's how I got it working well on my Windows 2008 Server Standard x64 machine. Going off memory here and I'm not saying this will fix any of your issues.

* Setup the OS per the directions here: http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/
* Logged into Admin level account
* Installed PMS 1.04, let it install Java
* in Control Panel \ Admin Tools \ Services I set the following to Automatic: SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host.
* Disabled screensaver and sleep/hibernation options
* Copied PMS to the Start \ Programs \ Startup group so it will auto-start with this account (was unable to get it running as service due to x64 or other issues)

The only issue I encountered was the screensaver/require login option which was enabled by default. Whenever the screensaver/login would appear I'd be unable to connect to PMS. Login, could connect to PMS. Even though the admin level account was NOT logged out specifically just having the login window seemed to disable it from connecting to the PS3 for whatever reason.

I'm no server admin and really only installed 2008 as I had a valid license via MSDN subscription and wanted to try it and was considering trying my hand at Exchange so I can centralize all of my Outlook features to sync with my desktop/laptop/WinMobile Fuze (how cool would that be?). After monkeying with Server 2008 for a couple hours I actually wish I'd used Windows Home Server as it'd likely have been dumbed down for the type of user I am, though it doesn't support Exchange. I'm assuming WHS has nice wizards and pre-configured services/etc. setup for the standard home server user, which really describes me. Multi-PCs in a home environment requiring a dedicated machine to run as the media/file server and hopefully mail server.
gastric

Re: [Win2008] PS3 can't see media server on startup

Postby sonic_screw » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:23 pm

My story is identical; I'm a developer not a server admin, but wanted to get a bit more familiar with the server technology since I had access to the software, and also for running internal websites and test sites. Somehow though I messed up the Active Directory configuration, to the point where I think I've got to reformat and start again to fix it... But getting my email and documents synchronised between my desktop(s) and laptop is the main goal. Then when I realised I could stream my media files directly to the PS3... great!

The main difference in my case is I'm running x86. Screensaver and account lock don't seem to be making any difference to the problem. Obviously I have any hibernate options disabled. I enabled the same services as you, it's running under admin, and it's firing on startup. I can install it as a service, and it behaves exactly the same. So it sounds like there are key differences between the problems seen on x86 and x64; and from experiences so far on Vista and reading a couple of bug tickets relating to that, it seems there are also variations there between x86 and x64. Once I've compiled a new build I might run some tests on all my different boxes to see what's failing where! (I've got both Vista 64 and 86)
sonic_screw

Postby luisgmc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:58 am

Hi,
I had the same problem with my Win2k8 Std.

Beside the "SSDP Discovery" & " UPnP Device Host Services" (set them to Automatic on Startup), don't forget to check the Windows Firewall (enabled by default)
luisgmc

Postby fuzzmo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:13 pm

I note people are having these problems on Windows - well I am having the same problem on Ubuntu 8.10 (Linux). Works fantastic when I start PMS after starting PS3. But when I switch off the PS3, then on again then it can't find it for love nor money - even after three minutes. I believe the author of this excellent prog said that the UPnP discovery service needed revamping and that changes may be forthcoming AFTER 1.04....
fuzzmo

Postby Kit64 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:08 am

Might be a long shot, but I found to install PMS as a service on my WHS (Server 2003) I needed to modify:

Computer Management->Services->PS3 Media Server->Properties
->General->Startup type->Automatic
->Log On->Local System account->'interact with desktop.' = unchecked.

This should allow the service to run without any users logged in. i.e. immediatly after reboot.
To change any settings I stop the PMS service, run the PMS application, exit the PMS application and restart the service.

See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=528#p2754

HTH
Kit64

Previous

Return to General Help and Support