Movie playback stops after 20 mins on Samsung TV

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Movie playback stops after 20 mins on Samsung TV

Postby msurg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:42 pm

You should convert DTS track to AC3. TV can't handle DTS.
msurg

Postby opcode » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 pm

msurg wrote:You should convert DTS track to AC3. TV can't handle DTS.

that's what I ended up doing, but I'd like to find out if it's possible to transcode from DTS to AC3 through ps3mediaserver, so it'll do it for me automatically on the fly.. Anyone know how to do this?
opcode

Postby gustavoas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:42 am

shagrath wrote:It's likely due to the nature of the Mpeg PS stream produced by mencoder (video with subtitles), not very well acknowledged by the samsung I guess (see earlier posts). Without subtitles, tsMuxer is used to produce a MpegTS stream. So I guess the TranscodeVideo=MPEGTSAC3 setting is your best chance by now

PS3MS was my last hope on streaming video with subtitles to my Samsung A850 (that do not support subtitle natively)... the movie playback stop is the only real problem (not nice to have) I have now... :-(
gustavoas

Postby shagrath » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:29 pm

gustavoas wrote:PS3MS was my last hope on streaming video with subtitles to my Samsung A850 (that do not support subtitle natively)... the movie playback stop is the only real problem (not nice to have) I have now... :-(

I'd like to help but I do not own a Samsung TV unfortunately. Besides I don't think there's much tweaks to do.could be resolved while trying and tweaking the mencoder command lines generated by the server, for example.
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby gustavoas » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:29 am

Maybe it's a stupid question but... is there a way to convert to mp4 or xvid instead of mpeg? Not sure if this is feasible... all I really need is the subtitle, usually the movie format is already accepted by the TV (when I stream directly the files most of them work fine). I have tried changing the custom option but I believe this is not where I should try it...
gustavoas

Postby gustavoas » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:41 am

Tried many different options on the mencoder specific parameters, -vcodec libx264 -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -ovc x264, etc... end result is a non compatible file message at the TV and an error message on the debug log: Process /Applications/Multimedia/PS3 Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/osx/mencoder has a return code of 1! Maybe an error occured... check the log file

Of course I'm a newbie on this so what I'm doing probably does not make sense but it would be really interesting to have other options as an output of transcoding, not only mpeg2...
gustavoas

Postby shagrath » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:40 pm

I meant try to convert some files before hand with the full mencoder command line, then stream those mpeg files, not transcode them
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby gustavoas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure why but this time I changed again the TranscodeVideo option to MPEGTSAC3 and was able to watch 2 full movies and 3 TV Shows without the playback stopping issue; in the past when I used the Transport stream option I was unable to watch anything since movie was stuttering all the time. I'll keep testing with other movies and in case I find again one with the same issue I'll try the command-line conversion. I assume MPEGAC3 and MPEGTSAC3 are the only options available in PS3MS to the TranscodeVideo option, right?

Thanks!

Gustavo
gustavoas

Postby shagrath » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:44 pm

gustavoas wrote:I assume MPEGAC3 and MPEGTSAC3 are the only options available in PS3MS to the TranscodeVideo option, right?

Thanks!

Gustavo

yes, you got WMV as well but I don't think it's supported by Samsung :p
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby matbourne » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:36 pm

I am experiencing the same problem with playback stopping but mine is occuring after only 5-10 minutes, I haven't timed it yet but I would say that it is about the same time that playback stops on any .mkv film with DTS remuxed to PCM.

I have a Samsung LE40B650 and all other file types play fine. Someone mentioned changing the 'TranscodeVideo' to MPEGTSAC3? However, when I tried this, no .mkv files would play (not sure about normal dvd rips - didn't test).

A big shout out to Shagrath for some great software but please please please help us with some of these Samsung TV problems... I'm sure you will in time... 8-)
matbourne

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support