Issues with Blu-ray m2ts files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Issues with Blu-ray m2ts files

Postby springfield » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Just found and installed PMS, it's a great application. Most of my media files stream perfectly, but I am having trouble with Bourne Supremacy. The m2ts file contains VC-1 video and DTS-HD audio. The PS3 says corrupted data. PS3 firmware 2.5. If I try transcode, it will play, but stutters a lot. CPU is C2D E6300 1.86GHz, 4GB RAM. 1Gbps NIC wired connection.
Any thoughts? TIA.
springfield

Re: Issues with Blu-ray m2ts files

Postby quepaso » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:07 pm

PS3 cannot stream VC-1. Ontop of that, Mencoder doesnt do multi-core for VC-1, only AVC. Best bet for anything VC-1 is to get a re-encode x264 of it in L4.1 and use tsmuxer on it.
quepaso

Postby j2048b » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:12 pm

are you running wired or wireless?

if wireless, you can only ussualy stream between 10-16 kbps

that was my problem as well, but hey check out this program to do your blu-rays inL

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=25818

you need the three that come with it if you decide to try it out:)
j2048b

Postby ExSport » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:17 pm

j2048b wrote:if wireless, you can only ussualy stream between 10-16 kbps

:mrgreen:
My UBNT Nanostation2 performance is about 25Mbits, 20Mbits stable on Wireless-G :) But 10-16kbits,.... 8-)
Code: Select all
I know that's typo:-)
ExSport

Postby springfield » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Is there a list of video and audio format that PS3 can stream?
springfield

Postby Flow » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:53 am

I don't get... VC1 is not supported however it worked flawlessly for me on 1.02.1 and when I upgraded to 1.03 it kept stuttering. Was making the buffer filling itself and when I unpaused, the video was playing faster until the buffer was out and then video freeze but sound is still playing.

I downgraded to 1.02.1 same problem. I had to reformat so I installed 1.03, it worked! But now again since yesterday it fails the exact same way even with 1.04.

I guess my question is if it's not supported, how did it work? If it worked once, it should always no? I have no issues whatsoever with x264, only VC1, I know now i will only download x264 from now on but for the GB's of VC1 I downloaded, I'd like to know if there is an explanation to my problem?
Flow

Postby Fifty » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Good question, I've just experience the same problem. Before PMS I converted all my mkvs into m2ts so that I could stream them to the PS3 using Twonky media. When I installed PMS I didnt have to do that anymore but my already converted files still played the way they should. Now I installed Vista x64 and a newer version of PMS, now my m2ts files dont play very well. Like you said, fast forwarding. Odd indeed.
Fifty

Postby Flow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:59 am

Would anyone be able to explain this? I would love to know why it did work. It just makes no sense to me that if it worked even though it's not supported, that it doesnt a few days later... :?:

Is CoreAVC working for VC1? What are my options?
Flow

Postby rankafan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:05 am

Flow wrote:Would anyone be able to explain this? I would love to know why it did work. It just makes no sense to me that if it worked even though it's not supported, that it doesnt a few days later... :?:

Is CoreAVC working for VC1? What are my options?

CoreAVC does not support VC-1. Period.

Also, define "worked". VC-1 can never have streamed to your PS3, natively, inside an m2ts file. Simply impossible. If by "worked" you mean: "didn't stutter", or some such, then there can be any myriad of reasons for that. Most notably, and likely, your quality-settings have changed in-between.

Also, the guy with the C2D E6300 can forget about real-time transcoding of VC-1 (in any half-way decent quality, at least). On my 3.2Ghz Q6700 I can only just get full-screen 1080p VC-1 to transcode properly (at highest quality) when I disable the wmv9 codec in ffdshow, and set it to libavcodec. Now, the latter is slightly faster; also, slightly buggier, and doesn't do interlaced VC-1 material yet. As for libavcodec's bugginess, that's relative: if you're doing an x264 reencoding of VC-1 stuff that will take days, then even 1 glitch is 1 too many, as you'd have to start all over again. For real-time transcoding, however, who cares if you run into a very rare bug now and then? So, just set ffdshow to use libavcodec for VC-1, for that extra bit of speed.
Gorgeous, delicious, deculture!
rankafan

Postby Flow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:01 pm

When I say it worked I mean it was able to play without any issues, transcoding through MEncoder with default settings. I didnt play with anything at all. That's why I'm wondering so much.
It is a 1080P VC1 Bluray video, Planet Earth, I watched a full 2 hours (having to pause a few times for the buffer to catch up and thats on a E2160 overclocked at 3Ghz!

No settings have changed whatsoever and I can't play these files anymore... which like I said makes me wonder. I'm sorry to come out like I'm debating your answers but you gotta understand my doubts when everyone says it's not working but it did. I have to agree now because it doesnt work anymore, but how could it have worked. I have just reformated my PC with XP SP2 and NO codecs installed but ffdshow and PMS made it work... but for 1 day only!
Flow

Next

Return to General Help and Support