Wired connection does not allow PMS and PC Internet

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Wired connection does not allow PMS and PC Internet

Postby fluent » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Haha much easier.
I'll give it another shot tonight.

Thanks a lot mate.
fluent

Postby fluent » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:44 am

You are a brilliant person!
It works like a charm. I even reset both at various points to check stability and it restarts every time.
Thank you so much.

So, a note to other with the setup of:
PS3 --- (ethernet crossover) --- PC --- (wireless USB adapter) --- router/net
follow Zomghealz instructions. For the Wireless you can leave it on auto and just enable ICS, select your LAN that the PS3 is on and tick all the option boxes.

One note though; while the PS3 is running you may experience a drop in your internet speed on your PC; plus the PS3 cannot connect to PSN. To have both of these I guess you would need to run it through the router.
But if you just want net on your PC and very good media streaming it's perfect
fluent

Postby zomgheals » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:24 am

ICS is used to allow the PS3 to use internet aswell,

If you cannot connect to PSN i think you might of unticked it :P

I personally dont even use a crossover cable as i don't need it and i can get PSN through ICS :P

Hopefully you can fix this :D - the way i told you was to allow internet on PS3 + PC but act independent.
zomgheals

Postby jrs » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 am

I have a similar setup to what is described above, but I cannot get this to work. I have my laptop with windows 7 and obviously my PS3. I created a crossover cable myself using a crimper, some cat5, etc.(I followed some online instructions). When I connect my PS3 and computer together, the computer says there is nothing plugged into the Ethernet port (the same goes for the PS3). I ignored this and followed the set-up instructions above, but it didn't work. I thought there was something wrong with the cable, so I checked all 8 wires in the connection and they all looked right. I even made a second crossover cable, and that didn't make a difference. After the second one didn't work, I chopped the end off of it and made it into a normal Ethernet cable......it worked fine for connecting the PS3 to my router. Am I missing something here?

Also I just want to connect the 2 (stream media through pms with no lag)....I don't want internet through my laptop for the PS3.

Thanks for any help

-jrs
jrs

Postby otmanix » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:40 pm

As said before you don't need a crossover cable because PS3 is capable of auto mdix. I assume your diy cable doesn't work :idea:
I discussed that topic with Zomghealz in another thread before. He uses a normal cable and it works fine. You should use CAT5 cable with RJ45 plugs, for 1Gb/s at least CAT5e or CAT6.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby jrs » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:22 pm

thanks. I'll go see if the standard cable works.
jrs

Postby Yazz » Mon May 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Wow!!! Thanks to everyone for this thread! I had been having issues with stuttering of HD movies from the gitgo, very annoying to say the least. Decided to route ethernet (not crossover cable) from upstairs office pc to my ps3 in the living room, primarily based on the comments in this thread regarding successful connection and streaming. Just finished configuring the pc and ps3 and it WORKS GREAT!!!!!! Thanks to all who shared!

Bill
Yazz

Postby -m- » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:13 pm

okay, let's try this again. i'm determined to get this squared away.

ethernet settings: ip/dns are both automatic. it is also set to shared, which gave me a prompt that the wired/lan cared will use the ip address 192.168.137.1.1

wired/lan card settings:
ip: 192.168.137.1
subnet: 255.255.255.o
default gateway: blank per instructions from one of the posters.
preferred dns: 10.1.1.1

ps3 settings:
ip: 10.1.1.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
default router: 173.74.194.160
primary dns: 10.1.1.1
secondary dns: blank

i've also noticed in my router's settings that the connection type is dhcp, if that makes a difference.

what the h*ll is going on?????? i can obtain an ip address but no internet connection. grrr this is making me so frustrated. good ole dns error 80710102.

please for the love of god someone help me.
-m-

Postby -m- » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm

op if you're still having problems, you can check out my thread on the same subject. i got my wired connection up and running. i'm streaming at about 500mps now. hd looks SICK and there's no stuttering whatsoever. i'd also suggest disabling "green ethernet" on your lan card's tcp/ip4 settings (i read it helps with stuttering issues for wired connections).

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11698
-m-

Postby cilcannonvryce » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Followed all direction to the T - PS3 will not connect over ICS.
dual onboard gb nics - one shared to the other obviously
Allowed ICS on Local Area Network 1, checked both boxes

PC
- Local Area Network 2
IP 1.1.1.10
Subnet Mask255.255.255.0
Gateway blank
DNS 1.1.1.10

PS3
gate1.1.1.10
DNS 1.1.1.10

Playstation gets online and all and connects, but PS3 media server will not connect. I even went into the General Configuration Tab and set the Force IP to 1.1.1.10
and changed the connection to the appropriate card. Nodda. Anyone wanna take a wack!??
cilcannonvryce

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support