[INIT SCRIPT] PS3 Media Server Debian/Ubuntu init script

For help and support with issues specific to Linux/Unix
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PS3 Media Server Debian/Ubuntu init script

Postby Mullog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:54 am

Hi folks !

Well, I guess I'm really dumb, but I can't manage to have PMS started after booting my Debian server... But this is what I've done (which I think is explained in first post :? ) :

Downloaded pms-linux-1.10.5.tgz on my desktop, then extracted it. I got now a folder called pms-linux-1.10.5 with all files in it (pms.jar, PMS.conf, PMS.sh, etc...).

Then I downloaded PS3MediaServer2.0.zip, also on my desktop. I extracted the PMS.sh into my pms-linux-1.10.5, and the PS3MediaServer into /etc/init.d. Am I still right ?

After that, I opened PS3MediaServer with nano as root, and changed those lines :

PMSROOT="/home/mullog/Desktop/pms-linux-1.10.5"
PMSUSER=mullog
PMSGR0UP=mullog

Still ok ?

I made the script PS3MediaServer executable, with "chmod +x PS3MediaServer", and updated rc.d as described in the first post. And I still got nothing on the PS3 after another reboot of my computer :( :x

Ok, I'm sure I did something wrong, but I just tried to follow what was said in first post :mrgreen:

If anyone has an idea :) Sorry for such a first crappy post :P

Regards
Mullog

Postby Mullog » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:59 pm

May I up ? :? :!:
Mullog

Postby RyLoS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:45 pm

Updated to new version 2.1
Some things are changed.

Check FIRST POST to download it.
RyLoS

Postby iBurger » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Rylos.. i love you man :)
thanks for updating the script... i was all freaked out that it didnt work anymore. (with more recent debian) !!! ty ty ty
iBurger

Postby phedon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Updated to version 2.1... Working nice on Karmic. The "near" perfect being the lack "restart" feature ?

A problem I have on this version but also with previous versions:
When started automatically (init), the files that have special characters like "é,è,ç" (Yes, I am french!;-) won't appear when browsing with any upnp client (tried with freebox and XBMC).
But when I start the service manually (logged in with "service PS3MediaServer start") I have no trouble.

Any idea ?
phedon

Postby smo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Nice work! Maybe you should add your script to the ps3mediaserver svn? Would be nice to have your work already included in the upcoming debian package.

smo
smo

Postby MarsianMan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Whenever I use version 2.1 , it opens the gui instead of launching as a daemon, any ideas why?
MarsianMan

Postby MarsianMan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Woops, that seems to be a problem with starting 1.11.366 (the beta) and not your script, sorry!.

Update: This happens even with the latest version of svn. How can I get it not to start the gui? I am on a Mac using SSH and it seems to neither change to the correct directory, and even minimized it opens an X11 session and I can not get it to stop. If I close the X11 session then it kills the server. Any clues?
MarsianMan

Postby jimmx2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:14 am

[*]Unzip the script and put it in /etc/init.d
[*]Edit the script PMS_HOME variable and write your path to PS3 Media Server (in my case /opt/pms).
[*]Edit the PMS_USER and PMS_GROUP variables in the script to the user and group you want to use to launch the PS3 Media Server
[*]Make the script executable with command: "sudo chmod a+x PS3Mediaserver"
[*]If you want to autostart the PS3MediaServer on boot type "sudo update-rc.d PS3MediaServer defaults 90"
]
think i could get a guide or post explaining how to "edit the variables" as stated?
jimmx2

Postby Halfje-Bruin » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:10 pm

This works great on my server running Kubuntu 9.04. I had to insert the following lines to force console mode:

Code: Select all
DISPLAY=
export DISPLAY
Halfje-Bruin

PreviousNext

Return to Linux/Unix Support