Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Postby Ghent » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi Frank123,

I found the problem: I activated the switch in MEncoder to use TSMuxer if the source file is PS3 H.264 compatible. Now I am only dealing with the "stuttering" issue. This makes me wonder because my NetTV can handle H.264 via DLNA by native and I do not no what is causing such a high CPU load then? - Additionally my TV restarts every tie when I stop the playback of HD material via DLNA.

I will try to open a case for this at Philips. Let's see what they are saying.

Thanks for your help and your explanation,
Ghent
Ghent

Postby pup99 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Ghent wrote:Hi Frank123,

I found the problem: I activated the switch in MEncoder to use TSMuxer if the source file is PS3 H.264 compatible. Now I am only dealing with the "stuttering" issue. This makes me wonder because my NetTV can handle H.264 via DLNA by native and I do not no what is causing such a high CPU load then? - Additionally my TV restarts every tie when I stop the playback of HD material via DLNA.

I will try to open a case for this at Philips. Let's see what they are saying.

Thanks for your help and your explanation,
Ghent

when you raise the case with them point them to this thread and we might see some of their inhouse techs/coders feeding back info and perhaps even code to the PS3MS codebase and other devs here, its all good and helps make it more popular as it play on more devices, as we make all the device OEMs aware that PS3MS exists and works with their kit.... and we get their help lines and PR budgets to mention PS3MS as their prefered and cross-platform DLNA server.

Now, i just think its good to clarify:
when people say and refer to "Native playback " that means the playback device, your DLNA capable TV in this case, CAN play a given video without any extra processing..

there are several parts to this to work internally, the given device needs the video codec, the Audio codec AND the Container spitter the the streaming video your trying to stream and play..... so.

a HDTV AVC(video codec)/AAC(Audio codec)/MKV *container)file may Not play on your given device.... and so needs transcoding or changing from the PS3MS side into another container the device can play natively.

however this very same file may play perfectly fine on your device If you just place the unchanged AVC/AAC into an .MP4 container (with for instance avidemux), without any transcoding, re-encoding or other processing on the PS3MS side then needed.

less file processing , less PS3ms PC CPU strain, if theres NO processing involved as the player device can play the Audio/Video/Container natively then your PCs CPU need only push the file onto the (wireless)ethernet wire and be done, and so not need a fast CPU or lots of realtime PC processing....

the fact your seeing High PC PS3MS CPU usage clearly says the PS3MS app is re-processing your streaming video into something else.

the very first thing to know is what are these native codecs and spltter/container your device can play, the second is check your files are matching these codecs/container with something like 'mediainfo' http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

the third is dont even try to transcode/re-encode these native files on the fly from inside PS3MS, thats a .conf setting, true its not very clear by the options names we see today what you should do, id really like to see a simplyfication and generic clarification of these options, such as adding a
"ThisdeviceWillPlayNativeContainers=avi,wmv,mkv,wmv,ts,m2ts,tp,iso,mp4,mov"
"ThisDeviceWillPlayNativeVideoCodecs=AVC,Mpeg4-part2,xvid,mpeg2"
"ThisDeviceWillPlayNativeAudioCodecs=AAC,mp3,ac3,dts"
"ThisDeviceWillPlayNativeOtherData="PIP,subtitles 1 and 2, whatever"
"If NON of the above, then transcode to=AVC/AAC/MP4"
plus your other pics and data noone really cares about but PR like to add OC...

so to recap, generally speaking for any current or new device, does your device play the files your trying to play natively have these codecs and container onboard, and if so, why is PS3ms transcoding or re-encoding them for no good reason, check your settings to tell it your device can play them as is.... if you have a device thats capable of playing the given file natively then PS3MS should Never be taking up CPU time or effort to re-convert these files and only pushing these onto the wire forthe dvice to play as is. a high CPU use indicates it is converting the file, be sure of yourself it needs.
pup99

Postby Joe76000 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Hello Pup99,
You gave great, precise and clear explanations just above. This helps clarifying the picture as still today there is no "PS3MS User Manual - or at least - Quick Guide", just this forum which is looking time to time like a Spanish Inn.
I do agree with your "The third is ... ..., such as adding a:" suggestion for a clearer picture.
Cheers.
Joe76000

Postby telecofr » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 am

hello everybody,

I am back about my problem with my tv we5.
I install avisynth as pablo_amable said me, but I had always the same problem (the server is not ok).
And reading the video option, I switch in the MEncoder plugin with the avisynth plugin and now all is ok !! I can read divx on my tv !!

Last question, can you say me which plugin (audio video) must I use to have the best quality ? And which configuration/option ?

thank you for your help (and sorry for my bad english :oops: )
telecofr

Postby Philarvropagan » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:30 pm

telecofr wrote:hello everybody,

I am back about my problem with my tv we5.
I install avisynth as pablo_amable said me, but I had always the same problem (the server is not ok).
And reading the video option, I switch in the MEncoder plugin with the avisynth plugin and now all is ok !! I can read divx on my tv !!

Last question, can you say me which plugin (audio video) must I use to have the best quality ? And which configuration/option ?

thank you for your help (and sorry for my bad english :oops: )

Hi Telecofr,
I don't know if it will help but I faced the same situation when starting with PS3MS: the connection was OK between PS3MS and my Bravia but no way to list any DiVX in the corresponding folders!
One of the main problems comes from Bravia which cannot decode DivX. The solution was to force those files to be transcoded by PS3MS. This can be set in "Réglages Transcodage" + "Réglages Généraux Transcodage" + "Forcer transcodage ..." ("Transcoding Setup" + "General Transcoding Setups" + "Force Transcoding...") where you just have to type "avi,mp4,..." and all the types which are concerned (Sorry for this approximative explanation but I don't have PS3MS on this PC and I give you what I have in mind!).
Once it's done and PS3MS is restarted, you should see all the DivX on your Bravia.
It worked immediately ... and very fine, even with with MEncoder.
Good luck !
Philarvropagan

Postby loskings » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Hello

As the rest of you guys im a big fan of this software and have been using it along with my PS3 and D-Link DNS 323 for quite some time. However, today i purchased Samsungs HT-BD8200 media center and thought of trying to get it to work with my PS3 server. As you might have figured out, it didnt work :D, atleast not when i tried the basic stuff (making the PS3 pop up on the Samsung unit)

The HT-BD8200 have support for "PC connection", with that i have managed to get it to stream audio and video (mp3,divx, xvid, MKV´s) by directing it to my NAS, however it doesnt support ISO and imbedded subs in MKV´s, plus i like using the ps3 Media server beacuse with that i dont have to worry about the media not being played.

So, does anyone have any experience with this Samsung product or perhaps someone can give some tips to try out?

Thanks in advance

/LK
loskings

Postby carsten » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi,

I'm a bit tired of reading all these interesting 30 pages of this thread. Hope i haven't overseen that this topic was already answered.

Can somebody confirm that with Bravia W5500 it is not possible to do time seek when using streaming (not transcoding)? I guess in
order to process correctly the generated "GET file time-range" requests it would be necessary to read and process the stream.

Am I right that I should use tsMuxeR then, when I have .m2ts streams sitting on my disk normally and that there will be not much
overhead? I have that on my server, which is power optimized, not an HPC. :lol:

Oh, I use nearly the latest PMS build on Linux. Cannot look what exactly, as the firewall has been reconfigured --- no ssh any longer :evil:.

BR,
Carsten.
carsten

Postby Glloq32 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:42 am

Hi,

I bought a Philips 47PFL8404 with NetTV and DLNA recently which made me discover this software.
First of all, congratulations for the job you made on this software. I hope I will configure it correctly and I'm sure it will replace advantageously all existing servers.

PMS is working correctly with file that do not need to be transcoded but I can't read mkv or others formats that my TV can't read natively (mov/h264 for example). I have this message in the trace : "C:\Program Files\PS3 Media Server\win32\mencoder.exe has a return code of 1! Maybe an error occured... check the log file"

I use the 366 revision and I didn't change the conf file, excepted for TranscodeExtensions which is set to "TranscodeExtensions=mkv" (if I do not change "TranscodeExtensions=avi,wmv,mkv,wmv,ts,m2ts,tp,iso,mp4,mov", I can't read any file). I tried to change some Mencoder options but it didn't change anything.

I know my computer is maybe powerless for transcoding (I have a sempron 2400+ with 512Mo Ram). I will upgrade it soon.

I made some reserches on the web and in this forum but I didn't found anything excepted for some problems with firewall and especially Kerio (which is my firewall). I desactivated it but it didn't changed anything.
It seems to be a problem with Mencoder. I don't know if it is a general problem (i.e. firewall, installation, computer configuration etc ...) or if it is a specific problem with Philips TV.

I join the log file.

Could you help me to solve this problem

Thanks

Stephane
Attachments
debug.zip
(4 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Glloq32

Postby gustavoas » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:47 pm

shagrath wrote:
I have an issue with my samsung wiselink. I had it since the begin and is not related with latest versions only. When a movie starts its playing for about 20-30 minutes and then stops. it doesn't matter if it is an HD movie or SD or series or how big it is. Is something that i can do about it?

no, it's a known bug, seems there's a problem with the mpeg stream generated by the server...

This is a very annoying bug, everything works great but suddenly movie stops playing... anyway, you are doing a great job here!!
gustavoas

Postby shagrath » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Glloq32 wrote:I made some reserches on the web and in this forum but I didn't found anything excepted for some problems with firewall and especially Kerio (which is my firewall). I desactivated it but it didn't changed anything.
It seems to be a problem with Mencoder. I don't know if it is a general problem (i.e. firewall, installation, computer configuration etc ...) or if it is a specific problem with Philips TV.

I join the log file.

Could you help me to solve this problem

Thanks

Stephane

seems a firewall issue to me, there is a problem with the fifo pipe creation... do you use kerio ?
shagrath
Project Lead

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers