Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Postby karl123 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:27 pm

telecofr wrote:hello,
I buy today my 46WE5 TV and I would like to use ps3 media server to read all video on my tv.
Can you say me how to do ? Which version of ps3 media server I would use with which files ?
thank you !!
fr

Use the http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3217 366 release.
Its supports Sony Bravia and as far I can see your 46WE5 is such Sony Bravia.

Read the theread "PS3 Media Server for dummies / tutorial howto documentation" for help.
(And the previous post of pablo_amable, should have included that )
Last edited by karl123 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karl123

Postby karl123 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:46 pm

KingHippo wrote:A friend had problems streaming full HD with 100mbit, with gigabit it was working flawless. So try with a gigabit switch or similar.
I have the same problem as you do on my 100mbit net, but only on higher quality HD (1080p and/or large files). 720p works fine.

ExSport wrote:Always you can limit bandwidth so it will not shutter. So try to use bandwidth limit in PMS to 80Mbit or similar value...depending on quality of connection and network usage.

Thanks! I have a 100 Mbs routed network which does 95 Mbs in real world. Network load never seen larger than 40 to 50 Mbs.
(The PC has a Gigaport network connection and this has proven to be important to really get the 95 Mbs).
I will do a series of tests with different settings and various test material.
Also I need to find the network speed of my Philips TV. If that is also 100Mbs, then using a Gigabit switch might be less effective.
Will take little time, but I will report experiences in detail in this thread.
karl123

Postby telecofr » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:00 am

thank you pablo,

i install ps3 366 and i modify the file conf. (If i don't change the file conf ps3 don't detect my tv.)
with the modification, I can see ps3 on my TV.
but when i select a video .avi (divx), the tv say "impossible to access to the server"
i don't have the time to read the help. I read it tomorrow.

i joint the report of ps3.

thank you for your help !!
Attachments
trace.rar
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
telecofr

Postby pablo_amable » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:18 pm

I believe you may need to install latest KDL-46WE5 firmware, please update and check again.
pablo_amable

Postby telecofr » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:57 pm

I always update my we5 with the last firmware...

after the install of ps3 and ps3 detect the tv, what can I do to read a divx on my tv with ps3 : I just select on my tv the divx or I must configure ps3 before ?

thank you for your help !
telecofr

Postby karl123 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:37 am

karl123 wrote:Stuttering of transcoded HD
Just like the Sony Bravia users, I see stuttering of some transcoded HD material on my Philips TV, e.g. 1080p and orginal m2ts format.

karl123 wrote:Sound disappears after a short time
On some transcoded HD movies the sound disappears after a small period (e.g. a minute).

Did some tests.
Have a Core2Duo E8400 with 2 CPU cores system with 2 GB RAM and WindowsXP. Network is 100Mbs cabled and PC has gigabit connection.
My first test for stuttering is a 1080p ts file that is transcoded to a PS stream (MEncoder).
Observations:
While transcoding with visible stuttering the PC uses 1GB RAM, below 25% network utilization and over 95% CPU on both CPU's.
When lowering the video quality in common transcoding settings then the stuttering disappears.
Unfortunately, while disappering stuttering some video artifacts (blocks in rendering) might occur.
Apparently the limiting factor seems to be the cpu load and this is viewed with various video material.
If the CPU load of both processors well exceeds 90-95% then I see a stuttering. Also after such stutter the sound is lost and does not appear again.
Solution
Cause of stuttering and loosing sound is propably the very high CPU load on all processors.
Usually the load is below e.g. 80% and everything plays well. However, with some material the load increases above 95%.
Experiment with settings e.g. video quality and have a look at Windows Task Manager - Performance to find CPU some safe settings.

Yes, the PS3 is playing all material fine, but it has additional 8 cores specialized Cell cores for this work!
Also separate media players run fine due to specialized processing chips.
Compared with PS3 Cell cpu power my "fast" Core2Duo E8400 is a poor mans solution! But for many cases it is working well.
Last edited by karl123 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karl123

Philips 9704 series problem with 1080 HD MKVs

Postby Ghent » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:54 am

Hello,

I got my brand new Philips 40PFL9704 and tried to stream 1080p HD MKVs Videos with the PMS latest beta (366). Unfortunately this ends in resets of the TV or in very rare cases stuttering video with many seconds of pause while the video runs.
The SD material is working fine and it is recognized as Philips Aurea NetTV in PMS. I also have no problem playing this content with my PS3.

Can anyone help me to run HD stuff? - Is the Firmware of the TV still beta or do I need to edit the philips.conf of PMS?

Thanks,
Ghent
Ghent

Re: Philips 9704 series problem with 1080 HD MKVs

Postby karl123 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Ghent wrote:Hello,
I got my brand new Philips 40PFL9704 and tried to stream 1080p HD MKVs Videos with the PMS latest beta (366). Unfortunately this ends in resets of the TV or in very rare cases stuttering video with many seconds of pause while the video runs.
The SD material is working fine and it is recognized as Philips Aurea NetTV in PMS. I also have no problem playing this content with my PS3.
Can anyone help me to run HD stuff? - Is the Firmware of the TV still beta or do I need to edit the philips.conf of PMS?
Thanks, Ghent

In the philips.conf you can change the TranscodeExtensions because this TV can play more formats natively.
Code: Select all
# Not needed for Philips NetTV that can handle many formats natively
TranscodeExtensions=avi,wmv,mkv,wmv,ts,m2ts,tp,iso,mp4,mov,wav,wma

Natve playback Formats 40PFL9704: MP3, WMA v2 up to v9.2, Slideshow files (.alb), JPEG Still pictures, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, AVI, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG-Programme-stream PAL, WMV9/VC1 (as found in the 40PFL9704 leaflet on the Philips site)

Limitation is that the TV can only natively play program streams (PS) and not Transport Streams (TS).
(Your TV is similar to Aurea and NetTV, but your TV and NetTV have more built in coders).
Some tips for Philips TVs are found at: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p18424

Limiting factor can be CPU power (stuttering). Resets of the TV seems not normal and are new to me.
However, checking and updating the firmware is extremely simple and this should be done first.
karl123

Postby Ghent » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi Karl123,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I tried this already. But Removing all Transcoding Formats has absolutely no effect. The CPU on the server is still running with 96% (Intel E5200). With my PS3 the streaming is working fantastic from the same server. The TV is on the most actual Firmware but since this is quite new on the market I think the Firmware may still have beta state and will be improved.

Maybe you can explain me more on the "Program" Stream Setting and the "Transport" Stream setting because I was unable to set anything like this in PMS (I just do not know how).

Thanks,
Ghent
Ghent

Postby karl123 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Ghent wrote:Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I tried this already. But Removing all Transcoding Formats has absolutely no effect. The CPU on the server is still running with 96% (Intel E5200). With my PS3 the streaming is working fantastic from the same server. The TV is on the most actual Firmware but since this is quite new on the market I think the Firmware may still have beta state and will be improved.

To my experience the high CPU load of 96% is the problem. Lowering this load by playing with settings will solve the problem.
I have not (yet) a receipt on best approach to lower CPU load.

Ghent wrote:Maybe you can explain me more on the "Program" Stream Setting and the "Transport" Stream setting because I was unable to set anything like this in PMS (I just do not know how).

See previous messages in this forum thread. It is also explained in http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p18424.
The basic network functionality of all Philips TV is the same. Only the number of coders differs (ability to play a format natively without transcoding).
The current generation Philips networked TV's can only play Program Streams (i.e. no Transport Streams).
(Program Streams are simpler and Transport Streams have more error correcting. So the latter is used in e.g. broadcasting. But for local usage a Program Stream works fine, but Transport Streams are widely used).
Program Streams are output by some transcoders and "MEncoder {Audio:AC3/Undetermined}" will always play.
But TSMuxer (TS means Transport Streams) plays Transport Streams and cannot be used in transcoding for Philips TVs.
Last edited by karl123 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karl123

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers