Is PS3 Media Server fully DLNA compatible?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Is PS3 Media Server fully DLNA compatible?

Postby priceless » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi all,

Really loving PS3 Media Server on my PS3, working great with everything i chuck at it, however when i try and connect my TV directly to it (Samsung 8 series LCD which has built in DLNA over ethernet) it sees the server running on the network but when you go to try and navigate the folders it fails and says unsupported.

Any thing i can try to get this to work? or is it purely just a DLNA server for the PS3?

Any help on this would be great thanks..
priceless

Re: Is PS3 Media Server fully DLNA compatible?

Postby ExSport » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:33 pm

The name of this application answers your question. In the future maybe XBOX will be an exception(what I know)...
ExSport

Postby priceless » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:44 pm

ExSport wrote:The name of this application answers your question. In the future maybe XBOX will be an exception(what I know)...

"PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3"
from http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

DLNA is a standard, so if the above states its DLNA compliant then it should work on all DLNA able devices. But it doesn't seem to 100% thats why i asked is it fully DLNA compatible.
priceless

Postby ExSport » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:20 pm

It is written mainly/only and optimized for PS3 so there are no other profiles what to do with file when streamed to XYZ device. ;)
DNLA is standart how to stream and communicate with DNLA clients/server between each other but better an example:
Code: Select all
PS3 supports AVI,TS files but not MKV.
Popcorn Hour supports MKV
XYZ supports WMV only.
PMS will stream only (not re-encode it to supported format) AVI file to XYZ ======> File not supported ;) ...but you can force transcoding/not transcoding extensions which may help in some situations

Also I think that older versions of PMS answered to PS3 only ;)
Hope it helped to understand possibilities...
ExSport

Postby Trailblazer » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:58 am

Seems to work now, I have just upgraded to 1.10.1 and now when I go to the DNLA channel on m y series 8 it actually plays, some of the files end up with no sound but, hey it works now... :) I am happy now...
Trailblazer

Postby shagrath » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:41 pm

look a tversity and such, all these softwares does embed different profiles for each supported device... talk about DLNA standard, it doesn't exists !
shagrath
Project Lead

Return to General Help and Support