PS3 Media Server Cover Generator Application

Discuss third-party additions, plugins and translations for PS3 Media Server

Re: PS3 Media Server Cover Generator Application

Postby Bozster » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks everyone. Here's what I'm thinking right now.

I have issues with pulling your folder structures into the app from the web because of security issues. Unfortunately Flash nor PHP won't allow me to rescan your folders you allow in order to grab your movie names so I can generate a list of covers for you.

So, would people be comfortable downloading an Adobe AIR application that would allow you to pick a folder with the movies, generate your filenames list and then either fire up the online app to create covers for each one of your files in a "playlist" fashion and then my app would save all files with proper naming for you at once. So you basically pass the list of files to the app, you get one file after another to create the cover and then when you are done you hit SAVE ALL and it will save all of your generated thumbnails together instead of you clicking SAVE each time and naming the file.

Would that be a bad idea?
Bozster

Postby PlaystationFTW » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:02 am

Bozster wrote:Thanks everyone. Here's what I'm thinking right now.

I have issues with pulling your folder structures into the app from the web because of security issues. Unfortunately Flash nor PHP won't allow me to rescan your folders you allow in order to grab your movie names so I can generate a list of covers for you.

So, would people be comfortable downloading an Adobe AIR application that would allow you to pick a folder with the movies, generate your filenames list and then either fire up the online app to create covers for each one of your files in a "playlist" fashion and then my app would save all files with proper naming for you at once. So you basically pass the list of files to the app, you get one file after another to create the cover and then when you are done you hit SAVE ALL and it will save all of your generated thumbnails together instead of you clicking SAVE each time and naming the file.

That would be great.Also can you come up with something for tv shows? (hdtv rips)
PlaystationFTW

Postby Dark_Wizard » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:07 pm

I think it's a great idea. Adobe AIR is also incuded with the latest Adobe Reader so as long as everyone has Adobe Reader 9.x they won't need to d/l and install it....
Dark_Wizard

Postby rickster53 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Sounds like a winner to me...
rickster53

Postby DARKFiB3R » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:58 am

Sounds great to me too :)

I posted a few requests on neowin too http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=822198&st=30&p=591654920&#entry591654920
DARKFiB3R

Postby Bozster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi guys.. just wanted to give you an update..

Over the course of holidays I will be redoing a lot of stuff..

Here is what the new application will have.

1. It will not be limited only to PS3MS but it will of course have the option for generating for it too
2. Community and your movie libraries (yes, the application will expand to a full blown site)
3. You will be able to share your movie libraries in numerous ways
4. As you enter your full library (there will be support for Xbox 360, PS3, Blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD, MP3s, CDs etc) you will be able to check default appearance for your movie covers and it will offer you automatically to generate files for you.
5. Less manually adjustments and support for numerous APIs about movies, games etc including covers, reviews, trailers etc. The reason for this is that I want to create a very engaging way to showcase your movie collections online and eventually allow you to access these collections through iphone apps and other mobile devices.
6. Will try to add support to generate covers for XMBC and Windows Media Center as well based on some great ideas I've seen in other apps.

All of it will remain fully free and with very few ads cause I'm struggling to pay for the bandwidth costs now generating images and so on. The ads won't be annoying but simple amazon associates text ones completely unintrusive. I'll also put the donate button so anyone who feels this is awesome for them can send a few bucks. I am using numerous services and due to thousands and thousands of covers generated with the app my costs are rising sharply. Some of these have to go through my server as proxies as some APIs require me to proxy through my server :( If you do mind minor advertising I guess I can just leave donate button but it will be tricky for me financially to cover all costs in regards to this so I'll have to find another way. Just thinking about how this thing can stay alive and online pretty much forever.

It will be a great time now to give me suggestions on what you want to see implemented as an ultimate online library for your movies/games/music with the cover generation and all the info you want (I'll add A LOT of templates and variations too). I've read some of the suggestions for covers and I will make sure all of them are implemented but if you have anything else on your mind feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

-Boz
Bozster

Postby rickster53 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Bozster wrote:Hi guys.. just wanted to give you an update..

-Boz

This sounds great Bozster! Can't wait for it to go live! Sounds like you will be working hard over the holidays but hope you have a good one!

rickster53
rickster53

Postby Niriel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Yeah, good to hear that this app is advancing. Just in case nobody requested it and you had it not on your focus.

It would be nice when you set your resize scrollbars to 75% so one can slightly increase the covers they got from other websites which do sometimes not have enough pixels to fit the frame.

I will welcome the donation button, since I'm used to pay for stuff I often use.

best regards,
Niriel
< waiting for the go live >
Niriel

Postby michellec » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:53 am

Seems like a lot of work, why not just generate covers from the video itself, ps3mediaserver is written in java, there are quite a few java libraries which allow you generate thumbnails , we have been looking at a few of these for the additions we are planning to ps3mediaserver.

Recently we have been experimenting with some techniques that allow us to generate the thumbnails on the iphone. The libraries though have questionable commerical licensing issues.

Every one loves open source, but open source is not always good for commericial apps destined for the app store.
michellec

Postby MotoBarsteward » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 am

This is really good news. To be honest, if things are as good as you say and there is future development (which I would like to get involved in), I'd pay a subscription. I have paid out close on $200 to SageTV over the years.

I'm trying to migrate away from a SageTV system running under windows to a DLNA system using my Panasonic Plasma and/or PS3 and a Low Power Ubuntu box with lots of external storage.
MotoBarsteward

PreviousNext

Return to Additions and Plugins