Trouble with subtitles

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Trouble with subtitles

Postby Azgaz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey all,

I'm randomly now having trouble with subtitles while streaming films. I've tried both .mkv files and .avi + .sub/srt but even though it shows Subtitles found, nothing shows up during the film. The thing is, I have previously watched movies with subtitles and they worked fine. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

I'm using MEncoder by the way and don't have Definitely disable Subtitles enabled.
Azgaz

Re: Trouble with subtitles

Postby solidhound » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:13 am

hey everyone,
i am currently having the same issue. i am working with an avi file that has embedded subs (not hardcoded). they used to work but the video would stutter. after fixing the stuttering the subtitles would no longer load. attached is the debug.log:

http://rapidshare.com/files/193188066/debug.log

the vsfilter setting is set to autoload. i would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me solve this issue.

thanks in advance
solidhound

Postby Subject2Change » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:24 pm

External subtitles need to be transcoded to my knowledge. Ensure that you have your Subtitles set to playback by default and PS3 Media Server should notice that it needs to transcode. Also I tend to keep my videos that have subtitles in separate folders. I don't believe I have tried an MKV with subtitles built in typically just AVIs with srts. I am not at home so I can't check my settings but if I remember i'll check when I get home and give you an update and maybe some settings to check.

Also if subtitles are hard coded into the file there is no reason why they shouldn't play back normal, the stuttering could be due to high load on your network. Hardcoded means its an AVI file with no external SRT that has the subs encoded into the file. You may just be zooming in too far and its blowing up past the subtitles on your TV.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby solidhound » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:50 pm

hi subject2change. thanks for responding back.

the subtitles are automatically loaded when playing on my computer. the original issue when streaming was that the video would stutter (but subtitles would show). Now the issue is that the subtitles wont display but the video streaming is perfect. when loading the video via PSM the VSFilter is not automatically loaded which is strange because it automatically used to load and does so on my computer when playing.

as for the subs, there is no external file. this is embedded into the avi file since i do have the option to turn them off and on when i open the file with VSFilter. i set the codecs up according to the README file included with PSM. As i said before this used to work before i fixed the stuttering. i have tried the three different options within the transcoded folder. they all used to display the subtitles.

ive tried changing the video image size within the ps3 in hopes of getting the subs to adjust to the display. but to no luck. any other ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated.
solidhound

Postby Subject2Change » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:50 pm

solidhound wrote:hi subject2change. thanks for responding back.

the subtitles are automatically loaded when playing on my computer. the original issue when streaming was that the video would stutter (but subtitles would show). Now the issue is that the subtitles wont display but the video streaming is perfect. when loading the video via PSM the VSFilter is not automatically loaded which is strange because it automatically used to load and does so on my computer when playing.

as for the subs, there is no external file. this is embedded into the avi file since i do have the option to turn them off and on when i open the file with VSFilter. i set the codecs up according to the README file included with PSM. As i said before this used to work before i fixed the stuttering. i have tried the three different options within the transcoded folder. they all used to display the subtitles.

ive tried changing the video image size within the ps3 in hopes of getting the subs to adjust to the display. but to no luck. any other ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated.

First off whenever Subtitles that are NOT hard coded into the file meaning subtitles that cannot be turned off and will always be in the image will if playback supports it will be simply streamed to your PS3 and thus no transcoding will take place, which will put less load on your computer as well as your network. A file with either external subs or "controlable" subs inside the AVI/MKV container will require transcoding to playback. The stuttering you are encountering can be from a weak computer, a weak wireless connection or high load on your network. With the PMS settings there is a way to ensure that subtitles always play and to prioritize which language plays; I know eng is for english and jpn is for japanese.

If you want to give it a shot use the new version of MEncoder that was recently added (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=396) or even try reinstalling the PMS application as if they were previously working and just suddenly stopping is quite odd.

If you are running WIreless, I strongly suggest trying to Hardwire. I did it yesterday and after having stuttering issues and unable to playback 720p MKVs; I now can with ease and best of all even when downloading/uploading.
Core2Duo E8400 (@ 3.0), 8gigs of Mushkin, Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit, 2.5 TB of Space, Wired to Linksys WRT54G wired to 80GB MGS4 PS3 on Sharp 32" 720p LCD TV
Subject2Change

Postby solidhound » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:26 pm

thanks again for the reply. it appears that PMS has issues with embedded subtitle streams within an avi. how i fixed this was to load the avi file into avimuxgui and extract the subtitle stream into an external file. even when doing this the AVI would not work. as another work around i changed the extension to OGM since these were working and placed the external subtitle file in the same directory. once i did this the subtitles are now working perfectly.

thanks for your help!
solidhound

Postby Windsor75 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:19 pm

I have some weird troubles with srt files. Yesterday evening I watched two mkv, each one with its srt file. In PMS (tried 1.03 and 1.04), for each of them I have "subtitles found". But for one of them subtitles is displayed, and for the other no (I use mencoder).

I tried PMS v1.00 and it worked for both of mkv...
Windsor75

Return to General Help and Support