Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:26 am

Thanks for confirming that the problem isn't there with v1.00, I suspect that it's not there with v1.04 either. In the meantime I think it has been established that this is a timing bug in PMS (certainly more likely to be fixed there than getting the PS3 to wait longer). The PS3 is expecting some data in a reasonable amount of time and PMS just isn't giving it to the PS3 in that time due to the racking of the database, even if the directory hasn't changed. It's unavoidable. Until something can be done to start sending data to the PS3 sooner, you'll either have to restrict the directory size, or measure the time it takes and use that as a guideline when you can't be in two places at the same time.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:34 pm

So, what is the next step in bring this to the attention of shagrath and hopefully getting this PMS bug fixed? Do I need to post this in a different forum, different thread, PM?
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby pricey4907 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:56 am

Dan, Mantar,
I have been following your thread for some time now as i have also been suffering the same 2006 error on my setup. I would like to share my findings with you. I have 3x 1tb internal drives that contain 1080p x264 and have recently purchased a readynas pro pioneer to transfer all the data to. I set up the NAS, and turned the PS3 on and got excited to find a new firmware v3.00 was available so i installed it and that is when my problems began. I was convinced that it was a NAS problem as the internal drives showed their contents as usual while the failed with "error 2006". I tried permissions, MTU size, and enabled jumbo packets in both NICs on my pc and NAS. I then tried using the beta PMS, upgrading/downgrading java x32/x64, upgrading to cat6, enabling/resetting media library cache, and no matter what i tried the only thing that worked was reverting back to PMS 1.04 which i was reluctant to do as it did not support cover art.

I then upgraded to windows 7 RTM from RC1 last night and did a fresh install of PMS 1.10.51 with CCCP, i installed JRE x32/x64 .16 and started up, this time i did not have jumbo packets enabled as the cards were at defaults, i found that the first folder i opened in PMS worked, albeit rather slowly. I went back then re entered and the folder opened up again but once again, just as slowly. I then enabled the Media Library, opened the folder that contained 82 files (500gb+) and let it run its course. The folder opened in about 3 mins and when i went back and into the share again the files appeared straight away. I then tried the largest share (1.5tb) and it opened up too although at approx 3 files every 10 seconds. but once the last file opened in PMS the files appeared very quickly after re-opening the share folder. I also turned off the ps3 trying to bring the 2006 error back but even the 1.5tb share opened up ok. I am unsure what has fixed the problem but these are the settings i am using now including my hardware spec and network:

BT Homehub 2.0 and PS3 FW3.00
Netgear 605 Gb switch
Desktop PC (Dual NICs)
Readynas Pro Pioneer
CAT6 STP patch leads and solid CAT6 external cable 30m

windows 7 RTM 7600
Core i7 920
6GB 1600mhz
p6t Deluxe V2
1500 MTU

PMS 1.10.51
media library enabled and allowed files to open in XMB (didnt use magnifying glass search)
unchecked thumbnails

CCCP
Core AVC 1.9.5
Java RE .16 x32/x64

The only thing. that changed on the new install was not having my desktop and NAS connected with jumbo packets, so either windows 7 RTM is improved in some way compared to RC1 or that the java instalations were corrupt because i tried so many different versions that i could have messed them up.

Although opening folders in PMS doesnt bring on the "2006 error" now, 1.04 is still much quicker so if the problems returns i will stick with the older version until this is fixed.

Hope this info is useful to someone.
pricey4907

Postby meskibob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:32 am

I also started encountering this problem after moving all of my media to my new NAS (Synology 209). I just finished upgrading my network to gigabit to see if that would help but it hasn't yet. I've set up 1.11.356 and 1.04 on my system with essentially the same settings and I'll generate packet traces for both to try and get some form of comparative analysis.

And to confirm, like the others, the folder browsing performs as expected in version 1.04 after the database is generated by browsing through the folders.

Edit: packet traces have been emailed. Let's see where this goes.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:54 am

pricey4907 wrote:I then upgraded to windows 7 RTM from RC1 last night and did a fresh install of PMS 1.10.51 with CCCP,

Just for the record, I never install codec packs. Besides being potentially damaging, if I need a specific codec, I go and get it from the source and only install one at a time.

As it pertains to PMS, all the files that I'm sharing are 100 percent compatible with the PS3 and their extensions has been added to the transcoder exception list. I guess you could classify this part as best case scenario. :)

pricey4907 wrote:i installed JRE x32/x64 .16 and started up, this time i did not have jumbo packets enabled as the cards were at defaults,

I too have Jumbo Frames disabled.

pricey4907 wrote:i found that the first folder i opened in PMS worked, albeit rather slowly. I went back then re entered and the folder opened up again but once again, just as slowly. I then enabled the Media Library, opened the folder that contained 82 files (500gb+) and let it run its course. The folder opened in about 3 mins and when i went back and into the share again the files appeared straight away. I then tried the largest share (1.5tb) and it opened up too although at approx 3 files every 10 seconds. but once the last file opened in PMS the files appeared very quickly after re-opening the share folder.

Like you, once the last file has finally been sent to the PS3, everything is fine. I can re-enter the PS3 video share directory and the file entries appear, for the most part, immediately. I can scroll up and down in the list and all the entries are there. But, keep in mind that is due to the PS3, not PMS.

Even with the Media Library disabled, the file entries still show up immediately upon re-entering. Even leaving to do something else like Folding At Home and then come back they are still there, it's just that the list starts at the top, rather than where you left off.

The main problem of course is JavaW.exe going ballistic when entering a directory for the first time. This could be fixed by getting PMS to start sending data to the PS3 within the first 30 seconds of the request, regardless of the processor speed. PMS needs a mechanism that watches the clock and if 30 seconds has been reached, stop fumbling with the database and start sending what has been completed to the PS3. Trickling data to the PS3 is better than getting DLNA 2006 errors and "There are no titles" and leaving the user in a lurch.

With this in mind, the problem seems to be that PMS can only do one thing at a time. For example, if you enter one directory with lots of files, JavaW.exe begins it's several minute journey of inner self discovery, but even if you immediately leave that large directory and go into a different smaller directory, nothing gets sent to the PS3. Even when that smaller directory only contains ONE fully compatible with the PS3 file. Instead, the small directory with one file will also get the dreaded DLNA 2006 error. This will also cause a few DLNA 2014 errors to crop up once JavaW.exe has finished meditating.

So, everything is basically dead until JavaW.exe finishes. Sure, the user could kill the JavaW.exe process, but that means running back an forth if you don't have the PS3 close to your computer. I would think that PMS should be able to detect a directory change and then send a Break to the JavaW.exe process, save whatever it needs to save, then start scanning the current directory now that the selected directory is a different one.

Also, your largest shared folder that you tried later was nearly completely scanned by the time the smaller one was finished. That's why it took so little time, that and your processor speed. Most of the work had already been completed. You just had to wait for the entries to be sent to the PS3.

pricey4907 wrote:I also turned off the ps3 trying to bring the 2006 error back but even the 1.5tb share opened up ok.

Yep, I never mentioned that in this thread, although I did in this thread located HERE. The PS3 v3.0 firmware seems to have fixed that problem. Graphically, v3.0 firmware Sucks Dead Bunnies Through A Straw, but it seems that Sony also upgraded the DLNA software, too. So it's a mixed bag. Although I haven't experimented much lately, taking a break, I think the only way you are going to be able to test it is restarting the server or exiting PMS. Have you tried either one?

Note: As of this post, a non-forced PS3 v3.01 firmware "upgrade" has been released. More reports of PS3s going to an early grave. I think I'll wait since Sony won't fix the problem with a rollback to v2.8 or admit they have a problem, but appear to be more than willing to collect the $150 service charge.

pricey4907 wrote:windows 7 RTM 7600
Core i7 920
6GB 1600mhz
p6t Deluxe V2

It could be argued that the above is what mostly reduced the time between our two setups, but not all of us have a Core I7, yet. :) Basically, your 3 minutes is my 11 minutes. Also, keep in mind that you have fewer files, but larger ones. Where I have thousands of files, but smaller ones.

pricey4907 wrote:media library enabled and allowed files to open in XMB (didnt use magnifying glass search)
unchecked thumbnails

The last time I measure the time, the Magnifying Glass took 39 minutes to return the button to a clickable state, and an additional 8 minutes before the database process was actually completed. That seems broken to me.

I'm not sure what purpose the Magnifying Glass is suppose to have. Sure it spends an enormous amount of time scanning the hard drives, but when you enter a shared directory everything gets scanned all over again. Like you, might as well not bother with it as it seems kind of pointless and just let PMS build it on the fly once.

And, what's with the 10 entries every couple of seconds? I thought it had to do with my processor speed, but you have a Core I7. Shouldn't the database be able to stream the contents of the shared folder like a USB or hard drive when they are attached to the PS3? Or, maybe that's just how DLNA works? Other parts of PMS work in the several megabits per second range, all except the entries. Of course, once everything has been sent to the PS3 they appear quickly, not because of the Media Library, but because of the PS3's cache.

pricey4907 wrote:The only thing. that changed on the new install was not having my desktop and NAS connected with jumbo packets, so either windows 7 RTM is improved in some way compared to RC1 or that the java instalations were corrupt because i tried so many different versions that i could have messed them up.

I too have tried various versions of Java here using XP. As you probably read in this thread, at one point I completely removed everything Java related and after the java re-install I still had screwy entries that could NOT be corrected or even changed. I guess that's just Java. Honestly, Java may be multi-platform and some teachers use it as a teaching aid with first year programmers, but from a security and user perspective, it's kind of crappy.

pricey4907 wrote:Although opening folders in PMS doesnt bring on the "2006 error" now, 1.04 is still much quicker so if the problems returns i will stick with the older version until this is fixed.

Now that it appears that Sony updated their DLNA software and fixed the PMS rescan problem after a reboot, I would restart the PMS server and see if you don't end up back where you began having to wait for the data. In other words, never exit PMS. :lol:

Thanks very much pricey4907 for your input, much appreciated.
Last edited by Dan on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:10 am

meskibob wrote:I also started encountering this problem after moving all of my media to my new NAS (Synology 209). I just finished upgrading my network to gigabit to see if that would help but it hasn't yet. I've set up 1.11.356 and 1.04 on my system with essentially the same settings and I'll generate packet traces for both to try and get some form of comparative analysis.

Did you find anything interesting?

meskibob wrote:And to confirm, like the others, the folder browsing performs as expected in version 1.04 after the database is generated by browsing through the folders.

Yep, something sure change.

meskibob wrote:Edit: packet traces have been emailed. Let's see where this goes.

Have you heard anything back?

Thanks meskibob for your input. It too is much appreciated.
Dan

Postby meskibob » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:38 am

Still being investigated.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:23 pm

Hope the next release includes the fix.
Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Installed the latest v1.11.363 beta a few minutes ago. Deleted the database and ran PMS. Navigated to the video directory and received two DLNA 2006 errors, followed by "There are no titles". The timing problem wasn't fixed in this version. Also not fixed was the ability to go do something else, or cancel, as the database is churning. :(

I guess there is always next time. <keeping fingers crossed>
Dan

Postby meskibob » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:38 pm

AFAIK there still hasn't been any progress on this issue. As a current work around I've just divided my media into more sub-folders, but the ideal goal is still to fix this issue.
meskibob

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support