What is "Enhanced multicore support for H264 HD"

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

What is "Enhanced multicore support for H264 HD"

Postby gastric » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:28 pm

What function does "Enhanced multicore support for H264 HD content" perform? I've searched the forum and checked the program documentation and haven't seen anything explaining why I would or would not check that box. But who doesn't want "enhanced" functionality? ;) But I'm curious what exactly it does that the default settings with multiple cores selected doesn't already do?
gastric

Re: What is "Enhanced multicore support for H264 HD"

Postby Joksi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:35 pm

It has support for multicores, if yo uncheck that option you will not be able to use several cores.
Joksi

Postby gastric » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Click Transcode Settings
Click Common Transcode Settings on left
Under General Settings there's an option for "Number of cores..." which lets you set the number of cores

I assumed this applied to all the encoders. And I believe it does. So, "Enhanced multicore..." must do something else.
gastric

Postby B4tm4n » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:51 pm

It uses a experimental build of Mencoder with multicore support, if you have that checked.
B4tm4n

Postby Joksi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:44 pm

gastric wrote:Click Transcode Settings
Under General Settings there's an option for "Number of cores..." which lets you set the number of cores

I assumed this applied to all the encoders. And I believe it does. So, "Enhanced multicore..." must do something else.

Read what i wrote.
Joksi

Postby kramsy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Joksi wrote:
gastric wrote:Click Transcode Settings

Read what i wrote.

read what B4tm4n wrote, i believe thats more apt. "Enhanced" meaning it will still use the number of cores that were set in the general transcode settings menu, only better and with emphasis on H264 video...
kramsy

Postby Joksi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

No, old Mencoder does not support several cores.
Joksi

Postby B4tm4n » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:25 pm

If you look in the win 32 folder of your PMS installation there is "mencoder.exe" and "mencoder_mt.exe".
If you have that box checked PMS will use "mencoder_mt.exe", the mt meaning multithread, if not then use the other one.

Thats how I understand it. :D
B4tm4n

Postby Joksi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Thats correct
Joksi

Postby gastric » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Just to follow up with this discussion. My original confusion was that the option to select the number of cores is available for modification WITHOUT you selecting the Mencoder HT option first. To the uninformed simply having the ability to select multiple cores gives the impression you are in fact setting the server to use multiple cores. If this field is only available to Mencoder HT then it should be dithered until HT is checked, and also more visually related to Mencoder HT. Personally I've only use Mencoder since first installing PMS back in 1.02 BETA so it's possible core selection applies to some of the other transcoders.
gastric

Next

Return to General Discussion