FAQ/Tutorial Discussion/Archive

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: PS3 Media Server for dummies / PMS tutorial

Postby meskibob » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:52 pm

otmanix wrote:
meskibob wrote:It'll probably be better to start a separate, wiki-esque site that can be organized with clear navigation between the various troubleshooting tips and configuration how-tos. That's not really feasible with the current forum setup and I think is outside of the scope of how an effective forum should function.

I completely agree with you. The forum is not a good technical solution for documentation, etc.. But the forum is the only place where everyone is able to write sth for the community at the moment. The faq and wiki at code.google.com has only few entries and can only be edited by the developers. It would be a good idea to have a wiki where interested people can share their PMS knowledge.
Correct, which is why I said a separate site should be started, especially since the FAQ and wiki navigation on the Google code page are also kind of limited navigation-wise. I'm thinking something along the lines of the AzureusWiki which uses MediaWiki (free), but I'm not sure if there are additional costs and how difficult it would be to set up.
Edit: MediaWiki may be a bit too powerful for this site currently, so here's a list of other "Wiki Farms" that could be used: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_farms
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby otmanix » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Meskibob,

here's a first experimental PMS wiki on wikia (with ads, but free): http://ps3ms.wikia.com
Everyone with a wikia account should be able to join...

Best regards, Otmanix
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby extravirgin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:25 pm

^^ He doesn't give up does he? :D
extravirgin

Postby woffle99 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi,

I have my PMS running quite nicely already (though it did take a while to get it that way) but I thought I would just stop by and add my appreciation for starting something that this fantastic project really needs (imo), which is some clear, coherent and detailed documentation - well done. I hope you keep it going and that others pick up the torch too. If I have time I will try to add some stuff myself, maybe about running as a Windows service which I gather you're looking for a guide for and which I'm doing quite happily - now I just have to remember how :D
woffle99

Re: PS3 Media Server for dummies - Thanks

Postby oz3d » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:09 am

I want to thank you for the information - it should be made sticky so everyone finds it.

Although your post (found later) helps, it does not sort all my problems (see post under streaming " Black Screen, Playlists and Congratulations" -
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3655

Thanks again
oz3d

Postby nsx3000 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:07 am

Hi otmanix, thanks for the tutorial.

Now can someone please make this thread a sticky???
nsx3000

PS3 Media Server Step by Step Configuration Tutorial

Postby walid97 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi there,

I have prepared a step by step PS3 Media Server configuration tutorial.

Please check it out:
http://walid97.blogspot.com/2009/09/ps3 ... ation.html

Many thanks for this great tool!
Enjoy!
walid97

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:26 pm

Nice guide and welcome to the forum. Couple of points I'd like to mention. First, you only mention that PMS is written in Java, yet the latest version of Java should be installed. Secondly, the PMS beta has more features and fixes a few things that are not available in the general release. Third, the ESET instructions make me glad I'm using Comodo. :) Forth, I didn't have to do all that much to install PMS with XP, so I take it that your guide is for Vista/W7 users with DHCP enabled?
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby walid97 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 pm

Dan wrote:Nice guide and welcome to the forum. Couple of points I'd like to mention. First, you only mention that PMS is written in Java, yet the latest version of Java should be installed. Secondly, the PMS beta has more features and fixes a few things that are not available in the general release. Third, the ESET instructions make me glad I'm using Comodo. :) Forth, I didn't have to do all that much to install PMS with XP, so I take it that your guide is for Vista/W7 users with DHCP enabled?

Thanks Dan :)
I just fell in love with PMS, it's the best out there!

Concerning your points, I will add that the latest Java JRE should be installed. Thanks for pointing me to that.
Is the beta stable yet? And what are the added features in it?

Finally, these were the steps that I went through during the installation of PMS on Windows XP:
    Enabling UPnP on the router
    Enabling UPnP on XP
    Opening the ports on ESET firewall and enabling UPnP to pass through it
    Installing PMS

The biggest chunk was with ESET, I had some troubles opening port 5001 on ESET firewall, but then everything worked well.
walid97

Postby Joe76000 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:14 pm

otmanix wrote:Hi Meskibob,
here's a first experimental PMS wiki on wikia (with ads, but free): http://ps3ms.wikia.com
Everyone with a wikia account should be able to join...
Best regards, Otmanix

Hello Otmanix,

1. Thanks for this "PS3 Media Server for dummies / PMS tutorial". It is really great and put some organization into the PS3MS Forum which is too big for me/us for trying to find easily a specific info/data, post a given message and/or have an at a glance idea about where this unique S/W is standing at a given time...
I'm not a complete dummy, but as I/we need to face to tens - hundreds of issues a day (not only PS3MS), I/we cannot each time spend a lot of (too-too much) time for finding a given piece of information regarding our lovely S/W.

To give an idea: My new Bravia W5500 serie was not working at all 1st time I have tested it with a half dozen of DLNA / UPnP A/V servers including PS3MS v.1.10.x. Then, I heard about a new version of PS3MS (v.1.11.356) which was the only good one!

=> JUST having on this forum a dedicated and closed thread updated regularly (let's say once a week / twice a month) by an authorized person summarizing where PS3MS is standing and going for the key features will be enough for a starting point, including a Foreword recaping what is PS3MS, what it can and cannot do. All these very-very basic stuff don't exist as of today in a single place, easy to access, to read, to understand, to print, etc...

2. I just red thru your "experimental PMS wiki" which is more for what I am looking for / expecting regarding "The DOC" for PS3MS as it is much more structured! Organization is one key element of success and sharing...
I can understand both you and Meskibob are in synch on this subject. It would be nice if we could move into this direction quickly.

I am using now PS3MS for a little bit more than one month and it is still nightmare to understand all the specificities of this lovely S/W. This is why, based on my particular needs, I have started to build my own "DOC" which is by definition uncomplete and with a lot of approximations and errors!

PS: A suggestion to both Shagrath & Meskibob : "The PS3MS's experts have to put together (right now if not already available) a single document (PDF) where thru few pages (5 to 10) the end users (old and new) can easily and quickly find out all the key specifications and parameters of PS3MS for an efficient implementation. (Rather than spending hours and hours reading thru and/or posting on the PS3MS forum!)

Long life to PS3MS!
Cheers.
Joe76000

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support