How to get PS3 Media Server running on Windows 7?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

How to get PS3 Media Server running on Windows 7?

Postby wjharing » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi, I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 (64bit), together with Java RE 6r11 and PS3 Media Server 1.3

Unfortunately, the PS3 is not able to find the PS3MS.

I have added the PS3MS to the Windows Firewall
I have added a rule in my router to forward :5001 to the pc with the PS3MS

This all was sufficient on Vista.

In the log of PS3MS, it shows that it is receiving search requests from the PS3, and that it is sending a DISCOVERY message.

so still no luck for me.

Would anyone know what else to try, in order for the PS3 to see PS3MS?

Wouter
wjharing

Re: How to get PS3 Media Server running on Windows 7?

Postby E36 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:23 pm

I had this same problem as well running windows 7 x86 - Solution for me was to run ps3 ms as administrator , worked straight away and see's ps3 within a few secs. Right click on ps3 ms and select properties and then click on tab compatibility and check box run as administrator so that every time you run it its done for you. Worked for me anyway. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
E36

Postby wjharing » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks. tried that from the get-go (in order for it to save configuration correctly), but hasn't helped either on Win7. This did work on Vista as well.
wjharing

Postby Jon L » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi There!

I actually have PMS running on Windows 7 Beta, build 7000 (x64) right now. It worked right out of the gate for me. I only had to tell it where my media files were, and there was a tutorial that noted boot up sequences for first time discovery that was important.

1. Install PMS, reboot computer.
2. With PMS TURNED OFF, go to your PS3 and ask it to scan for media servers. It should *not* find your PMS server.
3. Then go to your PC, and start PMS.
4. Back to the PS3, then have it scan for media servers again
5. Back on the PC, PMS should now see the PS3.

That should get ya going. If you start PMS first time, while your PS3 is on, they won't see each other on any subsequent boot up until you go through the above power on/scan sequence. (I'm hoping I remembered it right - I saw it on another site I can't find now.... ).

- Jon
Jon L

Postby unabatedshagie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:21 pm

It worked right out the box for me on Windows 7 too (well it does if I have one router plugged in and not another but that's a different story for a different thread), I do have UAC disabled though I don't know if that will make any difference.
unabatedshagie

Return to General Help and Support