Using mapped network drives when running as a service

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Using mapped network drives when running as a service

Postby jmf_uk » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Firstly, thanks for releasing this project, it is exactly what I was looking for and works like a charm.

I believe I am having the same problem as mentioned in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2479

I am running Windows XP with server version 1.10.51. I have some media files on another machine on my network which shares them through a windows file share. That share is then mapped onto my XP machine as T:\

When running the media server normally I can add T:\ to my list of shared folders, and everything works perfectly.
However, if I run it as a service then that share is no longer on the list (It is still in the config file though). Also, if I try to re-add it while running as a service then the drive is no longer visible on the add folder dialog box. I have tried just typing the full path in anyway, and the path is added to the list but does not actually work.

One thing I noticed which may or not be related to the problem is that the add folder dialog box is actually visualy different when running as a service. I have attached screen shots of both to this post. You can see on service.jpg that T:\ is not in the list.

Hopefully this is helpful. If you need any more information then I am happy to provide it.

Thanks again for a great project.
Attachments
service.jpg
'Add folder' dialog box when running as a service
service.jpg (83.55 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
normal.jpg
'Add folder' dialog box when running normally
normal.jpg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
jmf_uk

Re: Using mapped network drives when running as a service

Postby meskibob » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Did you add your account/logon information to the service's properties? Maybe the "Interact with Desktop" button needs to be checked as well (in the service's properties)?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby jmf_uk » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:42 pm

The interact with desktop option was already checked by default.

The user account may be significant though, since I believe the drive mapping is user dependant.
It was set to Local System so I just tried putting in my login details to start it with my account but now when the service is started it doesn't appear in the system tray.
It is actually running though as I can connect from the PS3. However, the shared drive is still not available.
jmf_uk

Postby dragoonkain » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:14 pm

This sounds exactly like the issue I was having. Unfortunately no matter what I tried with the service, I could not get PMS to pick up the network shares. As a last resort I uninstalled the service and everything works like a charm.
dragoonkain

Postby shagrath » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:51 pm

it's a known issue, but it seems it's Java related

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... ry%20Stars
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby dragoonkain » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 am

Thanks for the info Shagrath. I will keep my eye on this one.

Cheers
dragoonkain

Postby ExSport » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 am

In most cases problem is permissions.
I suppose that your service is running under system account which have no permissions on mentioned shares.
Solution could be start service under common user account and grant permissions to this share or check SHARE and FILE(NTFS) permissions if SYSTEM account have READ access. You will see if cross-authentication will pass for SYSTEM account too...
ExSport

Postby pricey4907 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Would anyone out there be able to post a tutorial for setting permissions for mapped shares to be viewed in PMS. I am currently using 1.10.51 but have tried .361 beta and i am having a nightmare showing files in PMS the shares are mapped ok in my computer. i can view all my internal drives but not my networked shares in XMB. They mght randomly show up in PMS but then not appear in XMB, on some thimes they show up with a red cross over them in add folder option of PMS. it seems permissions are a big problem with both service and UI but i have no idea how to implement these changes. Thank you.

I would also like to thank shagrath for this program and i can honestly say that i have not used a program as useful or as well supported as this ever. this is a work of art and if there are any bugs then most solutions are available within this forum.

windows 7 RC 7100
p6t deluxe v2 on board lan
netgear gigabit GS605 switch
readynas pro pioneer
BT homehub
pricey4907

Postby btaz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:50 am

I was having the same problem with the network drive not working when running as a service using Win7. It turns out that I did have to go into the PS3 Media Server Service settings and change the log to use an account and not a Local System Account. Make sure you use the Browse button, enter your user name and then click "Check Names" button to ensure that the user account name is correct for me it came out as .\UserName. Next type in your password, even though there are dots, and click apply. It should tell you to then stop the service and press start again for the settings to take place. Once I did this my network drives all work. I suppose the other option is to change the permissions on how my drives are mapped, but since this is working I'm done.

I added a few more details on my personal blogsite here
btaz

Postby ajgillis » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 am

I realize this is old but if I can save anyone else some time The above method of logon as did not work for me. Use the UNC path instead of a mapped network drive ie. \\computername\sharename instead of the network drive M:\

Windows 7 x64
PMS 1.72.0 running as a service, logon as is Local System Account

Add the UNC path to the PMS GUI, Navigation/Share Settings, Shared Folders
Select Save, close PMS GUI
Services, PS3 Media Server, Start
ajgillis

Return to General Help and Support