FAQ/Tutorial Discussion/Archive

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

FAQ/Tutorial Discussion/Archive

Postby delli » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:19 pm

this is the best thread for ages.
been missing one of these threads.
great to collect all info under one instead of lookin back and forth in the forums

thumbs up!
delli

Re: PS3 Media Server for dummies / PMS tutorial

Postby strictlyfocused » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:25 am

I vote for this thread be stickied ... I would have killed for a post like this when I was new to PMS.

Thanks, otmanix :D
strictlyfocused

Postby delli » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:10 pm

A tut for IMDB would be great aswell...still struggle with that part...installed everything (latest of everything but cant get it to work anyways) :)
goin on vacation now anyways so I will continue later on with it :twisted:
delli

Movie info plugin - tutorial

Postby otmanix » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:02 pm

delli wrote:A tut for IMDB would be great aswell...still struggle with that part...installed everything (latest of everything but cant get it to work anyways) :)

First of all download latest PMS beta http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3217 (>= rev348, at the moment rev356) and install it.
After that read latest movie info plugin release notes http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2126.
Download movie info jar-file at http://jaqb.servehttp.com/. Uncompress zip-file and copy content (MOVIEINFO.conf and MovieInfo.jar) to PMS plugin directory (C:\Programme\PS3 Media Server\plugins).
Customize MOVIEINFO.conf with text editor: I didn't want thumbnail downloads but also German movie infos, so I changed it... see code below!

Code: Select all
###Which plugins to use and in which order, Plugins available: IMDB , FILMWEB, CSFD, MOVIEMETER, ALLOCINE, MYMOVIES, OFDB, FILMDELTA, SENSACINE, ONFILM, KINOPOISK
#Plugins=IMDB,FILMWEB,CSFD,MOVIEMETER,ALLOCINE,MYMOVIES,OFDB,FILMDELTA,SENSACINE,ONFILM,KINOPOISK
#Plugins=IMDB
Plugins=OFDB,IMDB
###Number of how many cast to display
NumberOfActors=99
###Cover Downloading, Enable = 1 Disable = 0
#Cover=1
Cover=0
###Which info to use and in which order, default setting is: title,rating,tagline,genre,plot,cast,director,agerating
DisplayInfo=title,rating,tagline,genre,plot,cast,director

At the moment only rev356 is available at latest beta downloads. This version has a bug regarding movie info. You can fix it by either compile current beta rev358 yourself or download fixed jar-file. That file has to be decompressed and content (pms.jar) copied into PMS install directory (C:\Programme\PS3 Media Server).
Download fixed jar-file for Windows http://members.chello.nl/j.kulikowski/index.html or MacOsX http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2126&start=150#p10265.
If revision 358 or later is available in latest beta download you don't need the fixed pms.jar anymore...

Usage in XMB
Read plot (English): enter virtual folder #-- movie-info --# in XMB > movie title > IMDB INFO
Read plot (German): enter virtual folder #-- movie-info --# in XMB > movie title > OFDB INFO
Watch trailers (English): enter virtual folder #-- movie-info --# in XMB > movie title > IMDB INFO > title: movie title > [HD] movie title trailer or [SD] movie title trailer

enjoy it... Otmanix
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby otmanix » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Over 1000 views in 3 days for this thread and no more than 2 forum users who write a comment. Is nobody interested in documentation, howto, faq, etc.? Is nobody interested in sharing knowledge with other PMS users? This forum is really strange...
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
otmanix

Postby marco275 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:27 pm

otmanix wrote:
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Over 1000 views in 3 days for this thread and no more than 2 forum users who write a comment. Is nobody interested in documentation, howto, faq, etc.? Is nobody interested in sharing knowledge with other PMS users? This forum is really strange...

Sorry Otmanix, i did appreciate your tutorial very much only forgot to thank you. ;)

thnx
marco275

Postby extravirgin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 pm

otmanix wrote:This forum is really strange...

It is appreciated otmanix and you're correct, the forum is a little strange. I don't know who the mods or admin are but I guess quite rightly that shagrath is busy with PMS itself. I'd say that your tutorial and blog should be stickied. And I'm not the first to say that.
extravirgin

Postby otmanix » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi extravirgin and marco275,

thank you for your positive response. It's nice to hear that at least someone thinks documentation is useful.
My intention for the last comment was not to be praised for writing docs but to get some opinions about the howto and suggestions for new topics. Maybe other advanced users are also interested to share their knowledge.
Maybe I write lots of bullshit in the howtos but there's nobody who writes a comment. Therefore I updated the list of configuration options and their descriptions and put it in this thread. But not a single comment about that.
I think there are lots of special interest topics where only few people have good knowledge but many PMS users are interested in. Let's share this knowledge. At the moment I don't see a PMS users community like in other open source applications. That's a pity.

Some ideas:
Their is no howto for certain streaming clients like XBOX360, XBOX/XBMC, Sony Bravia TVs, ...
There are no howtos for correct installation of PMS as a service in Windows, Linux and OS X.
What about special topics like correct usage of subtitles?
Most people don't know howto use mediainfo or analyze debug.log in order to don't ask silly questions here in PMS forum.

If you have already seen some good howtos or helpful discussions please write a comment with a link included...

I don't know who the mods or admin are but I guess quite rightly that shagrath is busy with PMS itself.

I appreciate their work but I also think there's a lack of communication.

Best regards, Otmanix
otmanix

Postby meskibob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Just a couple notes...
a) Thanks for all this effort, and it does actually help. But also realize you're mostly going to get comments on the extreme sides and not from general users where this has been a general help tool. If the thread views go up but there are no new questions, I'd assume it's working.

b) As Shagrath stated somewhere recently he's been "out of commission" for about the past month due to a variety of reasons (eg dead PS3) but should be back in development mode (and looking at forum questions/requests) pretty soon.

c) I have a pretty good memory for issues that keep popping up, so I'll try to link-in the threads that clearly lay out the issue (and hopefully solution) as they come by, and if needed they can be re-drafted into concise help points like the others already in this thread.

d) This forum is still young compared to some other open source communities, so just give it some time. :)

And for my one current comment:
With it's current size a thread will suffice, but the larger this gets it's going to get cluttered fairly easily and really ruin the effectiveness. It'll probably be better to start a separate, wiki-esque site that can be organized with clear navigation between the various troubleshooting tips and configuration how-tos. That's not really feasible with the current forum setup and I think is outside of the scope of how an effective forum should function.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby otmanix » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Meskibob,

thank you for your response! I think you're right and maybe I'm too impatient with a growing up community. Also thanks for your additional troubleshooting entry!

It'll probably be better to start a separate, wiki-esque site that can be organized with clear navigation between the various troubleshooting tips and configuration how-tos. That's not really feasible with the current forum setup and I think is outside of the scope of how an effective forum should function.

I completely agree with you. The forum is not a good technical solution for documentation, etc.. But the forum is the only place where everyone is able to write sth for the community at the moment. The faq and wiki at code.ggogle.com has only few entries and can only be edited by the developers. It would be a good idea to have a wiki where interested people can share their PMS knowledge.

Best regards, Otmanix
otmanix

Next

Return to General Help and Support