Does PS3 Media Server support gigabit transfer speeds?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Does PS3 Media Server support gigabit transfer speeds?

Postby Jadis » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Hello, I have made a thread about this on another forum and will just copy it to here. Thank you for reading. I have been using PS3 Media Server for a long time and it is by far the best option out there for media streaming to PS3 :D

Hey everyone, I'm going to try and not make a huge post, but it might take me awhile to explain what I've done/tried.

My setup is as follows: PC --> Router (Linksys WRT310N) --> PS3
The two wires used are both Cat6 purchased from monoprice. The PC has a 10/100/1000 port as does the PS3 and the router is capable of 4x1000 ports.

Ok, so I have a gigabit network established. The router's lights for connection 1 and 2 are green, indicating a Gigabit speed network (1 Gbps). When I transfer files however, I am getting about 6-7 MB/s, roughly 50 Mbps. Not gigabit speed at all! I got these numbers by timing a 350 MB file 2 times and averaging. I am using the program PS3 Media Server.

I tried to manually set the PS3 settings to a Full Duplex 1000 network, and it worked fine and said 1000 connection in connection status, but it did not increase the file transfer rate.

My PC shows a 1 Gbps speed network.

I also reconnected the PS3 cable into my laptop and did a file transfer and got around 300 Mbps, so something is going on with the PS3 I guess.

I googled and there were some other people with my problem, but a solution was never found. Some suggested it may be limited by the speed of the hard drive. The PS3 does only have a 5400 rpm drive, but 6-7 MB/s ??? That seems way too low to be bottlenecked solely by a hard drive.

Anyone have any ideas or experiences with this? I'm not worried about streaming media since I doubt I'll play a movie with more than 50 Mbps, but I sometimes transfer files and since I ran this Cat6 cable, I'd like to make the most of it by getting gigabit speeds.

Thank you for any input.

Has anyone tested their gigabit connection by file transfer? I'm just curious if anyone has really SEEN the gigabit connection working at gigabit speeds, as opposed to just their router / pc telling them it is a gigabit connection. Note that a gigabit connection should be getting at LEAST 30 Megabytes per second transfer rate.
Jadis

Re: Does PS3 Media Server support gigabit transfer speeds?

Postby tinmanuk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:20 pm

I have the exact same problem, surely someone out there in the know can help or is it not possible to get gigabit speed with the ps3 ?
tinmanuk

Postby tinmanuk » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:27 am

Anyone :roll:
tinmanuk

Postby muchgooder.com » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:18 pm

I have "How the West Was Won" and it peaks at over 350 mbs (according to PMS) in my setup. I would guess that your problem is elsewhere. I do remember a couple of instances where people had an outdated driver on their pc and updating the driver fixed the issue.
muchgooder.com

Postby quepaso » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm

muchgooder.com wrote:I have "How the West Was Won" and it peaks at over 350 mbs (according to PMS) in my setup. I would guess that your problem is elsewhere. I do remember a couple of instances where people had an outdated driver on their pc and updating the driver fixed the issue.

Blu-ray cannot do over 40MB for video. The spec if 54 max (blu-ray 1.5x read speed). 40 of it is video, although there is some headroom.

Gigabit works fantastic with PMS.
quepaso

Postby muchgooder.com » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:06 pm

quepaso wrote:Blu-ray cannot do over 40MB for video. The spec if 54 max (blu-ray 1.5x read speed). 40 of it is video, although there is some headroom.

Gigabit works fantastic with PMS.

Makes sense. Can you tell me why PMS reported it as 350? I had always assumed that was being sent while transcoding. My network was reporting data transfer close to that number.
muchgooder.com

Postby zzTroyzz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:00 pm

This may come as a shock, but your typical HDD isn't capable of transferring 1gbps to the PS3, the PS3 also has to download this information to its cache and I expect its not in the ram, so its smaller, 2.5inch HDD is likely even slower.

Here is a review of the disks I use:
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/sto ... ex_6.shtml

Average Read/Write speeds of 75MB, multiple that to get bits and the drive is capable of transferring about 600mbps. Only 60% of the capacity of the network link. There is likely some TCP overhead in there so in reality you could potentially consume a bit more than the 60% I guess.

I expect most of you aren't storing your media on super quick Solid State Drives, or RAID Arrays with 10k RPM disks. My disks are in RAID5 with a cheap raid controller, so my read speeds may be a bit better, but my write speeds likely suffer. :geek:
zzTroyzz

Postby sonicfrequency » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread. I do apologize!

This post is intended to clarify a few thing about the PS3 networking card and it's bandwidth capabilities.

I've seen various posts around the internet about the PS3 Network Interface Card and whether or not it's capable of gigabit speeds. Many people say it is not capable of gigabit speeds although SONY advertises it as such. I have seen reports that the PS3 is limited to a realistic speed of 70mb/s or somewhere around 10MB/s.

I'm sure you will be happy to know, it most definitely is capable of gigabit speeds!

The problem that SONY and the PS3 community at large should be investigating is WHEN THE PS3 IS CAPABLE OF GIGABIT SPEEDS!

The PS3 supports 400mb/s or 50MB/s or more bandwidth! This is actually faster than my gigabit laptop patched directly to my gigabit media server! The PS3 is not limited by hardware!

*For the newbies: you will only see speeds on your local network. Gigabit ethernet will not speed up your internet connection since it is only a fraction of the speed of your local connection in the first place.*

The first requirement, you need the hardware for gigabit speeds. All networking devices (NIC's, Router, Switch, AP or anything else in the circuit) needs to be 10/100/1000 certified. Ethernet cable needs to be atleast cat5e (cat 6 is not required.) If you only have a cat5e patch cable (typical ethernet cable you buy at Walmart) you can patch your Ps3 directly to your media server PC directly for testing purposes.

*Theoretical vs realistic network speeds. Theoretically, gigabit ethernet should have 1000mb/s or 128MB/s maximum bandwidth. Realistically, I expect about 400mb/s or 50MB/s maximum throughput. This is a result of cpu speed, harddrive speeds, signal interference and planetary alignment. Everything that could impact performance in the real world.

The second requirement, you need the software for hosting a file sharing server for the PS3 (and other devices.) You can use Windows Media Streaming built into Windows 7 or you can download and run PS3 Media Server. Both work well, but you need PS3 Media Server to support .mkv!

THE FIRST BIG LIMITATION, you will only see these speeds when you stream a file type that the PS3 is compatible with.

The test, monitor your bandwidth on your PC media server! Open Task Manager on the PC running the media server. Select the Networking tab for your bandwidth graph. On the PS3 open up a 1080p .mp4 and press Square button. Move through the content as it seeks on the PS3 and watch your Task Manager on the PC. You will see gigabit speeds!

We all know (sadly) the PS3 is not Divx Plus HD cerified. This means the PS3 does not support the BEST and most efficient container format for ripping your Blurays! To play .mkv we need to transcode first using PS3 Media Server. Anything transcoded cannot take advantage of gigabit speeds! Instead we get errors when seeking with Square button.

Physical medium is dying. Don't you find it much more convenient to rip your media to a harddrive and play it from your couch? Yes we are a lazy nation! We are also losing jobs! Why not use a standard that saves the most space on our costly harddrives? SONY please support .mkv!

THE SECOND BIG LIMITATION, the PS3 throttles file copying speed to 75mb/s or 6MB/s! This is even limited on a standard 100mb/s connection. This has nothing to do with gigabit ethernet! I believe this is a limit imposed by software!

You can test this yourself! Monitor bandwidth on the PC media server using Task Manager on a standard 100mb/s network during a PS3 file copy. Notice network utilization is at 75%? Now perform a file copy over the network to another hardwired PC. You will see 98% utilization!

SONY, if you read this: Please consider removing the 75mb/s file transfer cap! Also, consider higher profit margins by certifying DIVX HD Plus and .mkv compatibility!
sonicfrequency

Postby Chaoz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:19 am

Thanks for the info Sonic. I was wondering why I couldn't get gigabit speeds; I'm so disappointed now. I hope since the PS3 is now hackable, this will be fixed somehow.
Chaoz

Postby querschnitt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:53 pm

when i'm transfer my games via FTP to my ps3 harddrive, I get transfer rates of ~40mb/s , but If I use the media server to transfer ps3 compatible video files, I get around 8-9mb/s :( But I know that my ps3 harddrive can handle faster speeds, because it's faster when I'm transferring stuff via ftp.. so there must be a way to speed it up :)
querschnitt

Next

Return to General Help and Support