Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi Mantar,

Thank you for looking further into this and updating your findings. The information you have provided is very interesting and helpful. I believe this is the first time I've read a direct comparison between the two OS's and how much they exactly differ. In particular, the information strongly suggests that between the two OS's, one is basically trading one set of problems, for another. Which is very unfortunate.

If you have a free moment, I'd appreciate it if you could look at the Java path error on both platforms that I mentioned previously. I wonder if the path error only happens on Windows or does it also happen on Linux. The path error is located here:

Java Control Panel-> Java Tab-> View Button (Java Runtime Environment Settings)->Path

While that section of Java appears to be broken, ultimately it doesn't seem to matter since JavaW.exe can still be found despite the wrong information contained within.

On a different matter, I have no proof but it feels to me that Java v1.6.0_15 is a little quicker than Java v1.6.0_14. Maybe it is wishful thinking and it's nothing more than a placebo effect. I'll need to get the Stopwatch out again and do some measurements while keeping in mind that the three-levels-of-wait (Magnifying glass, first time entering a file directory on the PS3, and directory listing) are not consistent. So, it would have to be a noticeable timed improvement. BTW, if I was going to downgrade anything, it's unlikely it would be Java, instead I'd rollback to an earlier version of PS3MS. I don't recall PS3MS v1.04 having multiple DLNA protocol 2006 errors. Although at some point I may do just that to reaffirm my belief.

I fixed the stuttering problem I was having. Readers of this thread might remember earlier when I said that the stuttering problem happened more on a wired connection than on a wireless one. As it turned out my Intel Pro/1000 NIC "Link Speed & Duplex" settings in Advance Properties needed to be reverted back to it's default "Auto Detect". That cleared up the streaming problem completely.

Also, among the 2,757 files I (so-far) found 5 MPEG-1 videos that the PS3 does not like (ie: Error 80028801). Before re-muxing them myself, I thought I would force MEncoder to process all MPG/MPEG files. While this did fixed the 5 videos that wouldn't play, it also screwed up more videos than it fixed. Needless to say, I'm no longer allowing MEncoder anywhere near MPG/MPEG files.

Lastly, I too would hope more people would speak up, but realistically I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. Looking at some of the threads posted in here reveals that more people are having problems than there are people who have answers. :(
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby Mantar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Hey Dan the Java path for my windows install is:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_15\bin\javaw.exe

I also have javaw.exe in c:\windows\system32 which is the same as the java mentioned above. My computer doesn't appear to be suffering the same
problem with java paths as yours. I think that is a reason why my JAVA doesn't spike as high as you had mentioned.

I have had similar experiences with MEncoder/mplayer.. unfortunatly it doesn't appear that you can disable it under linux.. which is a bummer. Here is an update
on what I am trying to do to get a workable PS3MS.

Windows - DLNA Error 2006 issues
1.) Will try to downgrade Java tonight to see if it fixes the slow browsing

Linux - Mencoder and TsMuxer during transcodes it will play the video at what appears 1.5 speed, which throws the audio way off. Will not play some VOBs that the windows version
of PS3MS will play. For MKVs MP4 everything works perfectly.. a bit mind boggling atm.
2.) try a few mencoder options in PMS.conf

At this point I don't really care which OS this runs on.. as long as one set of problems can get fixed. Time to go post over on the Linux thread also...

Mantar
Mantar

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Hi Mantar,

Mantar wrote:Hey Dan the Java path for my windows install is:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_15\bin\javaw.exe

I also have javaw.exe in c:\windows\system32 which is the same as the java mentioned above. My computer doesn't appear to be suffering the same problem with java paths as yours. I think that is a reason why my JAVA doesn't spike as high as you had mentioned.

Just so we are clear, that is your actual install path on the hard drive, right? If so, that too differs from my hard drive install path, which is:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\JavaW.exe

I believe there is an option to change the install path during installation, so I might have cleaned up the default path since that was the only version installed on this computer. Since Sun Microsystems provided the option to change the install path, there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't work if someone took them up on their offer.

However, what struck me as particularly odd was what happens when you go into the "Java Control Panel" and check what Java itself thinks is it's install path. For that you need to go into:

Start-> Control Panel-> Java Control Panel-> Java Tab-> View Button-> Path

Then, double-click on the Path field under the Path column to allow access to the field. Here that path is completely different than the install path and reads:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\JavaW.exe\bin\javaw.exe

As shown below underlined, that does not exist. Here are both the actual install path and what Java believes to be the install path together for an easy comparison:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\JavaW.exe\bin\javaw.exe

On my install, it is the Java Runtime Environment Settings path which can not be fixed, either by editing it directly or having Java itself find it using it's own search. This path was wrong with Update 14 and after completely removing Java from the hard drive, including traces from the Registry, it is still wrong with Update 15. Checking there would really blow my mind if yours did have the correct path, but I suspect yours too will have the extra bit added to the end, like this:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_15\bin\javaw.exe\bin\javaw.exe

And, editing it or using Java's JRE Find feature won't fix the problem.

Mantar wrote:I have had similar experiences with MEncoder/mplayer.. unfortunatly it doesn't appear that you can disable it under linux.. which is a bummer.

I thought the whole idea of Java was to be able to have cross-platform functionality?

Mantar wrote:Here is an update on what I am trying to do to get a workable PS3MS.

Windows - DLNA Error 2006 issues
1.) Will try to downgrade Java tonight to see if it fixes the slow browsing

I suspect downgrading PS3MS would have a bigger impact, but none the less would be interested in your findings.

Mantar wrote:Linux - Mencoder and TsMuxer during transcodes it will play the video at what appears 1.5 speed, which throws the audio way off. Will not play some VOBs that the windows version of PS3MS will play. For MKVs MP4 everything works perfectly.. a bit mind boggling atm.

I quite agree, that is mind boggling.

Mantar wrote:2.) try a few mencoder options in PMS.conf

I started to look at some of the command switches for MEncoder and my first thought was, "Why is this necessary?".

Mantar wrote:At this point I don't really care which OS this runs on.. as long as one set of problems can get fixed. Time to go post over on the Linux thread also...

Now that school is coming back and summer is coming to an end, maybe we'll hear from someone.

Thank you for your continued feedback on these issues.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby Mantar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Just so we are clear, that is your actual install path on the hard drive, right? If so, that too differs from my hard drive install path, which is:

Both my true path and what shows up in the Java admin console is "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_15", with \bin\javaw.exe in the user runtime settings. Strange enough I cant change the path.. luckily enough since it is correct.

I do not have any extra bits as with what you have on your path (ie no C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_15\bin\javaw.exe\bin\javaw.exe).

I started to look at some of the command switches for MEncoder and my first thought was, "Why is this necessary?".

After learning the ins and outs of ffmpeg.. I silently weep in having to learn MEncoder now...Here are 2 potentional options

no transcode of iso
codec_spec_script = container == iso && vcodec == mpeg2 && srtfile == null :: -ovc copy -nosync

no mencoder remux
mencoder_mux_compatible=false

Mantar
Mantar

Postby Mantar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:03 pm

update from last nights tests.

The Java verison doesn't matter :|. I tried Java 1.6.0, 1.6.5, 1.6.10. The only thing that changed was
the DLNA Error 2006 showed up faster then in later versions.

On the linux front if i disable transcoding everything else works perfectly. Of course I can't transcode the MKV files with that config option.
(engines = avsffmpeg,ffmpegaudio,mencoderwebvideo,mplayervideodump,mplayerwebaudio,rawthumb)

I believe I can fix the issue with (evil) MEncoder and linux though. It was actually nice to see the PS3MS software behave so nicely under Linux..
its been a longer then usual struggle to get this to work.. which is now almost complete.

Dan do you want me to test anything else? I am going to look through the log files again and see if I can figure something else to try.

Mantar
Mantar

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Mantar wrote:
Dan wrote:Just so we are clear, that is your actual install path on the hard drive, right? If so, that too differs from my hard drive install path, which is:

Both my true path and what shows up in the Java admin console is "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_15", with \bin\javaw.exe in the user runtime settings.

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you meant. You said that your true Java install base path shows up in the "Java admin console" and that the remaining portion of the path shows up in the "user runtime settings". I've looked all over the Java Control Panel and neither one of those titles that you mentioned exist here with Java v1.6.0_15. The only place here that the JRE install path shows up is under the Path column under the Java Runtime User Environment Settings. Are you saying that your JRE path is showing up somehow split in two within the Java Runtime User Environment Settings or that it's showing up split some other way? Or, were you just emphasizing that only the remaining portion of the true install path shows up within the Path column?

Mantar wrote:Strange enough I cant change the path.. luckily enough since it is correct.

Not only can you not change the path (if you wanted to), but you probably can't add anything to the Runtime Parameters either. Irregardless, the whole Java Runtime User Environment Settings panel appears to be flaky.

Mantar wrote:I do not have any extra bits as with what you have on your path (ie no C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_15\bin\javaw.exe\bin\javaw.exe).

Thanks for looking into that. I was thinking that maybe the Path column can't display multiple backslashes. I believe that multiple backslashes denotes going up into the parent directory. If that's the case, then it may see it one way, and display it another.

Mantar wrote:
Dan wrote:I started to look at some of the command switches for MEncoder and my first thought was, "Why is this necessary?".

After learning the ins and outs of ffmpeg.. I silently weep in having to learn MEncoder now...Here are 2 potentional options

no transcode of iso
codec_spec_script = container == iso && vcodec == mpeg2 && srtfile == null :: -ovc copy -nosync

no mencoder remux
mencoder_mux_compatible=false

I take it that the first line of each of those potential options needs a pound sign in front to REM out the comment, correct?

Mantar wrote:update from last nights tests.

The Java verison doesn't matter :|. I tried Java 1.6.0, 1.6.5, 1.6.10. The only thing that changed was
the DLNA Error 2006 showed up faster then in later versions.

I think the biggest change would come from different versions of PS3MS. I think that's where the breakage lies.

Mantar wrote:On the linux front if i disable transcoding everything else works perfectly. Of course I can't transcode the MKV files with that config option.
(engines = avsffmpeg,ffmpegaudio,mencoderwebvideo,mplayervideodump,mplayerwebaudio,rawthumb)

I believe I can fix the issue with (evil) MEncoder and linux though. It was actually nice to see the PS3MS software behave so nicely under Linux..
its been a longer then usual struggle to get this to work.. which is now almost complete.

At least one of us is on their way. Unfortunately for me, Linux at the moment is out of the question. :(

Mantar wrote:Dan do you want me to test anything else? I am going to look through the log files again and see if I can figure something else to try.

If you want to, try downgrading PS3MS to v1.04, uncertain as to the Java version to use. As I recall it didn't have any of these problems (under Windows).

I'm going to try to tackle some of these things tonight, hopefully. One thing I'm going to do is remove Java again, and this time use the default install path. If JRE now shows the correct path under the Path column, then we know for sure that there is an install bug within Java. Like I mentioned before, Sun Microsystems offered the user a choice of installation path and that should not break anything if a user decides to take them up on their offer. Also, if I have the time, I will also downgrade PS3MS.

Finally, in just a few more days I have guests from out of state showing up and will be away from here for at least a week. My absents does not mean that I have given up on this. I plan to be back by mid-September with just as much piss and vinegar. :lol:

Much thanks.
Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Mantar,

It doesn't look like I will have an opportunity to rollback to an earlier version at this time. Have you tried this yourself and if so, did the DLNA 2006 protocol errors go away?

In the meantime, all indications seem to suggest that the DLNA protocol 2006 errors are a direct result of data not being sent to the PS3 in a timely manor (first 30 seconds (1 minute at the absolute)) upon entering a shared directory. That the Media Library's "Magnifying Glass" operation is partly to blame since it takes that second pass for the directory data to be finally sent to the PS3, but by then it's too late which results in the first and subsequent DLNA protocol 2006 error and the initial empty directory. Making the situation worse is if the PS3 and the PC are not located near one another, which would allow the user to observe when the CPU load drops, you have no way of knowing, other than repeatedly entering the shared directory, when JavaW.exe is finished and the directory is now available for browsing.

Perhaps if there was some kind of timer which monitored the database progress upon entering a shared directory, and if the progress was going to take longer than 30 seconds, it would send something to the PS3 to avoid the timeout. This would help regardless of the speed of the hardware involved.
Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi Mantar,

Are you still here?
Dan

Postby merciles » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:59 pm

Just wanted to chime in that I to am having a directory listing problem that was mentioned in this thread. I can see lots of troubleshooting has been done by Dan and Mantar and I'm glad I found this thread as I was hoping it wasn't just my setup. I'm also using a P4 w/hyperthreading but I dont have as many files as Dan does, my worse directory contains 580 avi files and approx the same amount of jpeg box arts. The problem seems to have gotten worse with the 356 build, I dont remember it being this bad for the DLNA Error on 1.10.5 build even though I do remember getting it on occasions. I'm really only using this 356 version because I like the imdb pluggin so much otherwise I would downgrade back to 1.10.5 or perhaps even earlier versions.

Dan or Mantar have you had any success downgrading back to previous versions 1.0.4 versions? Have we been able to confirm the directory listing problem occurred at a certain version. Since the previous versions are available for download it is not that hard to test, and I may put the legwork in to help troubleshoot this problem if it has not already been done. ;)

Lets keep this thread alive and hopefully give shagrath or any other developer as much information as possible to help narrow down the problem.
merciles

Postby merciles » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:33 am

Well I can confirm one thing. I had an old old version of 1.00 media server in a separate directory on my computer and I stopped the 356 build, started the 1.00 build and listed my big directory and it was almost instant. Maybe a 10 sec pause before the first few movies started being listed. They still come in bunches of approx 10 at a time, but the list is defiantly being populated quicker in this original version.
merciles

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support