Working on OpenSolaris 2009.06... but how to do headless???

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Re: Working on OpenSolaris 2009.06... but how to do headless???

Postby orao » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:03 pm

Worked like a charm, great info. I have compiled mplayer, lame, ffmpeg-mt (multithreaded), and using ps3mediaserver

Can someone provide init scripts, as I am quite a newbie on opensolaris?

Thanks again
orao

Postby rsreign » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:02 am

Didn't plan for me, aloft analysis begin the PATH var had displace afterwards reboot. So manually edited $HOME/.profile to survive rebooting. Now the aisle is actual should work. Of advance I'm now at plan and clumsy to check. I accept aswell bureaucracy a startup Software to barrage PMS which appears to be working. I will apperceive bigger tonight.

Postby orao » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:46 am

I have managed to create service wrappers for Opensolaris so that you can register PS3 Media Server as a system service. Now, I am running PS3 Media Server as daemon user, and service manager can restart the service automatically when a core dump happens. Also it is shutting down the service on shutdown automatically. I'll provide scripts and xml file to import as a service when I am back at home
orao

Postby valor » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:10 pm

hey orao,

just finished my opensolaris storage box - and just one piece is missing ;)

could you maybe post those service definitions which you made for opensolaris?

thanks in advance!
valor
valor

Postby orao » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Check the readme file in the zip (sorry windows user here :)), and I hope it works for you also. uname -a output for my opensolaris is: SunOS XXXXXXXX 5.11 snv_111b i86pc i386 i86pc

Good luck!
Attachments
smf-manifests.zip
(3.92 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
orao

Postby valor » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:53 am

Great, thanks orao ;)

I'll check it out (still need to compile some stuff with gcc4 though) probably today evening!
valor

Postby orao » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:03 am

By the way, VirtualBox hosting Windows7 is very fast (with multi CPU) according to my observation (XP is exteremely slow?), so you may consider using tversity on windows for media serving, provided that you have enough memory and CPU power there. on my cheapest version of AMD Phenom platform, things are quite fast
orao

Postby hobocamp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 am

I finally got my PS3MS 1.11.356 beta OpenSolaris file server up and running (thanks to everyone here in this thread), and I just wanted to follow up here with a few updates and things I learned in the process..

First, about mplayer:
AustinPowersISU wrote:Before we configure, we need to edit the configure script to disable the -rdynamic option, otherwise cc will complain later

root@wd40:/usr/local/src/mplayer-checkout-2009-06-12# vi configure

You can use whatever editor you want. Basically we need to remove the lines:

if test "$_real" = yes || test "$_xanim" = yes && ! win32 && ! qnx && ! darwin && ! os2 ; then
_ld_dl_dynamic='-rdynamic'
fi

And then save

The current mplayer-checkout now has "&& ! sunos" in the test line, so this step is no longer necessary. Dunno when they added it, but it must have been after 2009-06-12.

AustinPowersISU wrote:root@wd40:/usr/local/src/mplayer-checkout-2009-06-12# ./configure --enable-debug --extra-cflags=-fomit-frame-pointer

I can't get it to work unless we use debug mode! Also, you must pass the extra cflag to get debug mode to work!

There's a known issue with the opensolaris GNU assembler that many programmers don't compensate for in their apps (there's a thread about it on the mplayer-dev mailing list here). Basically, all you have to do to fix it is to:

./configure --extra-cflags="-Wa,--divide"

(the mailing list thread suggests patching your configure file, but i think this way is easier)

And about ffmpeg:
AustinPowersISU wrote:root@wd40:/usr/local/src/ffmpeg-export-2009-06-12# ./configure

root@wd40:/usr/local/src/ffmpeg-export-2009-06-12# gmake

After a while, this will bomb out with the output:

gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -I. -I"/usr/local/src/ffmpeg-export-2009-06-12" -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D__EXTENSIONS__ -fomit-frame-pointer -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -Wundef -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros -c -o libavcodec/x86/mlpdsp.o libavcodec/x86/mlpdsp.c
/var/tmp//ccKWa4Vq.s: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp//ccKWa4Vq.s:96: Error: unbalanced parenthesis in operand 1.
/var/tmp//ccKWa4Vq.s:101: Error: unbalanced parenthesis in operand 1.
/var/tmp//ccKWa4Vq.s:106: Error: unbalanced parenthesis in operand 1.
/var/tmp//ccKWa4Vq.s:111: Error: unbalanced parenthesis in operand 1.
/var/tmp//ccKWa4Vq.s:128: Error: unbalanced parenthesis in operand 2.
gmake: *** [libavcodec/x86/mlpdsp.o] Error 1

This is the same bug from mplayer, and the fix is the same, just:

./configure --extra-cflags="-Wa,--divide"

.. then you won't have to edit any files or run any weird commands :)

AustinPowersISU wrote:Just make sure the /usr/local/bin is in your path when you launch PS3 Media Server and things should be great!

export PATH=/usr/gnu/bin:/opt/csw/gnu:/usr/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin

Yep, and if you want you can edit your default $PATH in your ~/.profile file.

I did this all on basically a brand new install of opensolaris 2009.06. If it looks like it's working (based on the debug log) but it still won't show up on the XMB, make sure you've defined your system in /etc/hosts .. this was bugging the _hell_ out of me, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working (because debug log definitely showed the two communicating) and the fix was just to echo "192.168.1.10 myserver" >> /etc/hosts (obviously your IP & server name will be specific to you). This may be a part of the default opensolaris install procedure that i just missed.

I also got the service up and running thanks to orao's example. However I had to make a few changes.. the server ran fine as root, but it wasn't playing anything running it as a service. Logs showed it couldn't find ffmpeg, so I edited PMS.sh and added a PATH= line towards the top to make sure it knew about /usr/local/bin. Alternate fixes for this would be to set the daemon user's PATH globally (somehow?) or symlink the binaries to somewhere in default $PATH (ln -s /usr/local/bin/* /usr/bin/)

No problems playing anything so far, but I'll add here if there are. For now, I'm golden.. shut down gdm and made it a totally headless samba & ps3 media server. Things should get even better once my gigabit switch arrives :)

edit: Well, for some reason I cannot get subtitles to work at all.. neither sub/idx or srt files show anything (tested on several different videos), even though PMS sees them there (it mentions External Subtitles in the file's descriptive text) and the subtitles work great with every other player. Anyone else see this and/or have subs working? It's possible I'm just missing some small piece of software or a specific config option..
hobocamp

Previous

Return to General Discussion