Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Directory Size

Postby Mantar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:44 am

I have a similar problem but with less files. Do you think it could be related to directory size and not total files? I have a bunch of movies that are 4 gig+ in size sorted to ABC, DEF, GHI etc.

Directories that do work are

244 movies 142 Gig
134 movies 125 Gig

of course anything less then this also works.

I can't seem to get folders that have 200+ Gig of data in them such as this one

154 movies 202 Gig
223 movies 278 Gig

So I wonder what the limits are? and if they can be increased a bit?

Jim
Mantar

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Mantar wrote:I have a similar problem but with less files. Do you think it could be related to directory size and not total files? I have a bunch of movies that are 4 gig+ in size sorted to ABC, DEF, GHI etc.

Directories that do work are

244 movies 142 Gig
134 movies 125 Gig

of course anything less then this also works.

I can't seem to get folders that have 200+ Gig of data in them such as this one

154 movies 202 Gig
223 movies 278 Gig

So I wonder what the limits are? and if they can be increased a bit?

It could very likely be both file size and the amount of files that stalls PS3MS. The directory that I described earlier with 1953 files has a size of 113 GBs. A different directory, which PS3MS also has a problem with, is 45 GBs and has 804 files. All 2,757 of these files are completely compatible with the PS3 and require no transcoding of any kind.

Yet, PS3MS appears to spend an enormous amount of time piddling with these files instead of sending directory information to the PS3. And, if the PS3 doesn't time out waiting for something to happen, which is what I think the DLNA 2006 error means, when the information is finally sent, it is sent out in little bursts of data (under 256 Kbps with long pauses in-between) that equates to 10 file entries at a time, that any wireless or wired connection could more than handle. As long as you don't actually play a file to interrupt the directory entries from being sent to the PS3, 50 minutes later the PS3 will have all the information cached and can then access it rather quickly.

The cached information now stored on the PS3 which took nearly an hour to send is then lost when PS3MS is restarted, or you use the PS3 for a different task. At which point the entire process has to start completely over again. Which is why I wonder what the purpose of PS3MS's Media Library Cache is really used for and why it spends so much time (re)building it (even after closing PS3MS) when it doesn't seem to take full advantage of it.

This whole process takes so long that it would be far quicker to just copy the files to the PS3 (or attached USB hard drive) for playback thus nullifying the effectiveness of PS3MS entirely.

If we disregard processor speed, network speed, hard drive speed, you name it, what we are likely left with is a PS3MS timing problem that is brought about due to directory size of one kind or another.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby meskibob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Have you gone through and completely cleaned out the media library database since upgrading to one of the newer versions? See the following for how to do so: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1410&p=6444#p6429
With that post, the scanning feature (the magnifying glass just above the share settings) was rather slow, but with the latest versions it is much faster and is probably recommended for your case. Note that when it is doing the scan you probably shouldn't be browsing through PMS on the XMB, as it tends to screw things up (atleast in my experience).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby spaceman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:41 pm

For what it's worth, I have exactly the same problem here in Perth, Western Australia. The less files I have in a directory, the more likely it is that I won't get the 2006 error, and vice versa.

Very frustrating! Wife and kids not very happy!!! :-)

Sorry, but I've no more ideas to add over and above what previous posts have speculated on.
spaceman

Re: Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:14 am

meskibob wrote:Have you gone through and completely cleaned out the database since upgrading to one of the newer versions?

Yes.

meskibob wrote:See the following for how to reset your media library: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1410&p=6444#p6429
Try reseting the media library, disable it, close out PMS, reopen it, and then enable the library. That should hopefully reset the db, and then all you need to do is browse in the XMB to start creating the cache.

As written, the instructions are a little inaccurate. You'll have to save the settings before closing PS3MS. Otherwise, when you reopen PS3MS the Media Library settings will already be enabled by default. It's no big deal, but with this in mind I did the following:

1. Disabled the Media Library under Navigation/Parsing Settings.
2. Saved settings.
3. Closed PS3MS.
4. Restarted PS3MS.
5. Enabled the Media Library.
6. Saved settings.
7. Click the "Restart HTTP server" button.
8. Checked the contents of the \database directory.

Unfortunately, these steps don't appear to have completely reset the Media Library since the \database directory still contained all the old files and their original content. Instead, I went ahead and deleted the \database directory to insure no cross contamination.

meskibob wrote:With that post, the scanning feature (the magnifying glass just above the share settings) was rather slow, but with the latest versions it is much faster and is probably recommended for your case. Note that when it is doing the scan you probably shouldn't be browsing through PMS on the XMB, as it tends to screw things up (atleast in my experience).

After deleting the contents of the \database directory, I then clicked the magnifying glass and PS3MS went through the two shared folders of 2,757 files. I discovered that there are actually two different completion times.

The first occurred when the magnifying glass button returned to a "Start" state which was immediately preceded by the cleaning up of the cache. That took 39 minutes. It took an additional 8 minutes before JavaW.exe was finished with the database and the CPU returned back to zero along with the hard drive activity ceasing. Total time was 47 minutes and change. This is where a accurate progression gauge (or at least a status bar that refreshes properly) would have come in handy, because doing anything during those last 8 minutes would have resulted in errors.

Also, I was not browsing through PS3MS on the PS3 while this was all taking place. In fact I was listening to some MP3 files from an attached thumb drive off the PS3 to pass the time, letting the computer work unobstructed.

Once that was finally finished, I quit the MP3 playback on the PS3 and went over to the PS3MS directory. Then selected the first (larger of the two) shared PS3MS directories. Once again I received twice the "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred", followed by the "There are no titles". However, back on the computer JavaW.exe CPU usage was again going through the roof. This carried on for 11 minutes with no change to the database files or any other files that I found. So, who knows what the heck it was doing for 11 minutes.

Should, for whatever reason, the PS3 disconnect during this time (DLNA 7531 errors aplenty), you won't be able to properly reconnect until JavaW.exe finishes. PS3MS doesn't know the PS3 disconnected. PS3MS will put the PS3MS icon back in the XMB, but upon entering you will see nothing but a DLNA 7531 error. You can trick PS3MS to make the Restart button clickable again, but you'll have to wait for JavaW.exe to finish or you'll have to kill off the process as PS3MS is off in it's own world and will appear locked up. Once revived, PS3MS will then spend an additional 11 minutes in that far away mystical place as before.

Once JavaW.exe calms down, I then went back to the PS3MS directory and now the entries started to appear one by one at a blazing 77 Kbps, with about four second gaps between each burst of 10 entries, making for an average of 18 Kbps! Since playing a video can stop the directory from getting completely listed, it took an additional 15 minutes to list the directory.

If the PS3MS program is restarted (or only it's server) or do certain things with the PS3, the cache on the PS3 is gone and PS3MS Media Library is of no obvious immediate value. Re-entering the PS3MS directory will again result in two "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (2006) has occurred", followed by the "There are no titles". JavaW.exe is back to doing it's mysterious high CPU usage for the next 11 minutes. Once JavaW.exe calms down again, re-entering the PS3MS directory the contents will again begin to slowly appear and after 15 minutes (now a total of 26 minutes later) the directory is browsable again.

In review; it takes 47 minutes to build a cache that appears to be ineffective. Then 11 minutes for mysterious things to take place. Followed by an additional 15 minutes to display the entire contents of a shared directory. From start to a completely usable directory took 73 minutes, provided that something doesn't get restarted, then it could go as high as 110 minutes for the dust to finally settle.

Keep in mind up to this point all of this time was used to get just one directory to fully list it's contents. I'm guessing that the time for other directories to display are reduced by work that was first accomplished getting the first directory to appear.

Hopefully I've demonstrated that there is a relationship between directory size and the PS3 timing out. The DLNA 2006 error would never appear if it wasn't for JavaW.exe being totally consumed with it's Area 51 stuff and would instead send data to the PS3 in a reasonable amount of time. I would argue that a reasonable amount of time is defined by the first 30 seconds if you do not wish to see a DLNA 2006 error and/or before an additional 30 seconds if you don't want the process to completely fail the first time entering the PS3MS directory.

Anyway, I don't expect my results to match identically to others. There are factors which will change the timing. Including earlier versions, which the last time I checked, don't have this problem. So, YMMV.

Last but not least, I do appreciate your input on this matter with your suggestion to rebuild the Media Library. Whether it sounds like it or not, I also appreciate PS3MS and the author(s). I'm only trying to determine if there is a problem and then bring that problem to the attention of those that can do something about fixing it, that others and myself, are experiencing.

P.S. I haven't even gotten around to tracking down the audio and video freezing and unfreezing of PS3 compatible MPEG-1 videos during playback problem. And, how it ironically happens more often with a wired connection than with a wireless one. :/

Oh, and before I forget, if you turn off the PS3 with the controller, PS3MS still says, "PS3 has been found!". After waiting 10 minutes reached around back and flipped the main power switch. PS3MS still showed the PS3 as found. I then unplugged the router with no change. Looks like PS3MS is seeing PS3 ghosts. :lol:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby Mantar » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Hello All,

I have reset the media cache/library and still suffer the same intermittent DLNA 2006 issues also.

Dan during the javaw.exe cpu spike did you happen to notice the amount of RAM being used by it?

I am going to try a few different memory settings for Java when I get home tonight to see if that makes any difference. I have no idea if it will of course, I am just trying to rule out a possible easy fix.

Has anyone else played with Java memory for PS3 Media Server? Does anyone have any debug flag recommendations for us to try? I am willing to see this issue through to the end.

Java Memory Options:

-ss Stacksize to increase the native stack size or
-oss Stacksize to increase the Java stack size
-Xmx to increase Java heap Memory Limit
-Xms initial java heap size
-Xmn the size of the heap for the young generation

Option to view your current Max Mem size:
http://www.duckware.com/support/javahelp.html

Java docs for memory management
http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/perform ... tuning.xtp
http://www.duckware.com/pmvr/howtoincre ... emory.html
Mantar

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi Mantar,

You may have hit on something, but I don't know yet how it relates to PS3MS. I checked the link you provided to check the maximum memory and that showed 60 MBs. That seems low and I'm rather sure that JavaW.exe was using more memory then that at the time. But, what really caught my eye was when I tried to increase memory size.

In the "Java Runtime Environment Settings" I double-clicked the "Runtime Parameters" field and entered a value of -Xmx300m. Then clicked one of the other fields to have this new value entered. I then clicked OK and Apply. With the "Java Control Panel" still open to the Java tab, I clicked the View button and the "Runtime Parameters" field was empty. What?

So, I tried it again and the same thing happened, the field was empty. Upon attempting to use a lower value, this time when I clicked one of the other fields to have the "Runtime Parameters" field accept the new value, I accidentally double-clicked the Path field, which opened that field for edit. Single clicked off to a different field to close and the Path field now had a red outline. What?

When I checked the contents of the Path field it showed:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\Javaw.exe\bin\javaw.exe

That is not the correct path for Javaw.exe. I then edited the Path field to show:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\Javaw.exe

Which is the correct path. I then clicked OK and Apply and went back into the "Java Runtime Environment Settings" and the Path field had reverted back to the wrong path. I then deleted the entire "Java Runtime Version" entry and performed a Find. After a few moments the search found JavaW.exe in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe

Which is correct, there is a JavaW.exe located there and it matches the CRC as the one in Program Files. I then clicked OK and immediately clicked the View button and double-clicked the Path field and the same incorrect path (ie: JavaW.exe\bin\javaw.exe) was back. It's like the only purpose for the Path field is there to demonstrate how crappy Java is, as if another reason was necessary.

I'm going to uninstall Java, clean what I can and try it again.
Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Mantar,

Uninstalled Java v1.6.0_14 and updated to Java v1.6.0_15. Uninstalling was a bit of a PITA since it left a lot of droppings on the hard drive, including the registry, that needed to be cleaned up. Checked the problems I mentioned before with the old version against the new version and they still exist. I say these are Java bugs, can someone please confirm?
Dan

Postby Mantar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:35 pm

I tried some java memory management for PS3 Meda Server. Nothing really changed too much.. I thought maybe the Movie plugin caching comes up faster, but that might be a placebo affect :).

The next step I am going to try is to install an old version of Java 1.6 (http://java.sun.com/products/archive/). I know I am running out of ideas to try.. I don't really want to rollback to pms 1.4, but without any additional help that might be the only choice.

Do any of the seasoned board veterens have any ideas? How about any programmers working on PMS beta or otherwise? Could we possibly get a version of PMS with full debugging turned on? I would love to run it to see what could be causing these errors.

As disk space gets cheaper and more media is added, I see this becoming a larger issue for more people.

in short.. HELP!! ;)

Mantar
Mantar

Postby Mantar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Dan,

I did not get a chance yet to install an older version of JAVA yet.

I did however put PS3MS on my linux box and it works perfectly. DLNA errors go completely away, browsing any size of directory does not matter one bit. Movieinfo plugin works and the caching is very fast.

Here is the specs of what is installed on the Ubuntu box

pms-linux-1.11.356
ubuntu 9.04
java version "1.6.0_14"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_14-b08)
FFmpeg version 0.5-svn17737+3:0.svn20090303-1ubuntu6,
MEncoder 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu19

There was something else I installed but can't remember...hmm

General Observations between the 2 platforms

1.) cpu is overall lower on the linux platform
2.) debug logging is much better on the linux version
3.) the media DB for me was more the twice the size on windows (16meg vs 7meg)
4.) a handful of movies sound is way out of sync with the movie using linux
5.) random movies will not play.. and get the "corrupt" message. This is only on the linux version...
6.) configuring the linux pms.conf is a pain in the ass when you don't know where to find all available options, and have no gui.

the PMS software was very easy to install on linux, but getting all of the media options is a pain (fault of linux and licenses).

Of course this really doesn't help anyone stuck on windows for one reason or another. I would love for a dev to comment on my findings and suggest something we can do
to make the windows version of PMS perform the same as the linux version. I think the best bet right now would be to downgrade the JAVA version and see if anything changes.

Mantar
Mantar

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support